UKC

Bird restrictions at Loudoun Hill?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Katherine Ross 05 May 2017
Anyone climbed at Loudoun Hill recently? Mountaineering Scotland website says there are birds nesting but I can't find any more specific information about areas/routes affected.
 Al_Mac 05 May 2017
In reply to Katherine Ross:

They say it's further right than the climbing areas so I took that to mean the North East side of the hill rather than the South that the climbing faces are on. We didn't see anything when we were down two weeks ago and didn't hear anything from those who were down this week either so I suspect that the nests are further round. Agree that they could have been clearer in their description though!
 guyhoward 07 May 2017

I was there a couple of weeks back, there was a nest on the pulpit prow but round from pulpit arete and no sign birds using it now so may just be an old nest. Didn't see any other evidence of nesting on the crag

Thanks folks. We stopped there briefly today as we were in the area; only did 'The Edge' and saw absolutely nothing (except really small birds flitting about) until we'd both almost topped out, then a couple of peregrines returned from somewhere and flew about a bit. The came and went away again a few times while we ate lunch at the foot of the crag, and we thought it looked like the nest was a bit right of the climbing area, perhaps on the craggy area facing the car park, but it's hard to tell. Decided to head off just in case (plus, The Edge provided pretty good value for a quick visit!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...