UKC

BMC North West Area Meeting: 3rd April, Belmont

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
Come along to The Black Dog for our next gathering of North West climbers and walkers, and get involved in the work of the BMC.

Date: Saturday 3rd April 2017, starting at 7.00 pm
Venue: The Black Dog, 2-6 Church Street, Belmont, Bolton, Lancashire, BL7 8AB

See http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3852 for details and updates.

BMC area meetings are run by volunteers and are your chance to join in with debate and influence decisions about what happens in your area as well as the rest of the country.

All are welcome; the BMC will provide food.
Post edited at 10:41
OP Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

As you will all have gathered; lots to talk about prior to the AGM! Come along, grab a sarnie, buy a drink and take the chance to have your say and (of course!) listen to others.
 Mike Stretford 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say: Hi Andy, I've just read the minutes from the previous meeting. Out of interest, do you know what the Shivers's Arete peg will be replaced with?

OP Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Mike Stretford:

I wasn't at the meeting when that was discussed but as far as I know the replacement was to be a stainless steel glue-in. Not sure if it's been done yet as I know decent weather was being awaited.
astley007 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

Hi Andy,
I shall be there.
Do we know who is attending from the BMC Office yet?

With regard to the peg on Shivers Arete, it has been in situ a very long time!!...some rumours is that its only a sawn down knifeblade, held in place with the cement round it....others state that is so big it helps hold the pipe up in Wilton 1!!!!!
The mandate by the area committee was to replace it, now that the weather is getting better I shall be there shortly to have a look and probably replace with a stainless glue in, in a very similar position. Unless someone else wants to take it on?
Cheers
Nick B
 FreshSlate 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

You've changed the date from March to April, so far so good. But the 3rd is a Monday.
OP Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:
> You've changed the date from March to April, so far so good. But the 3rd is a Monday.

Aaaaaaargh. Its Monday evening. I am a total incompetent and owe you a bag of pork scratchings if you turn up.
Post edited at 14:11
OP Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to astley007:

I think Simon Lee, the new Affinity Partnerships person is hoping to attend to explain what he is working on. Not sure who else is coming over but I will update when we know.
 Mike Stretford 23 Mar 2017
In reply to astley007:

> The mandate by the area committee was to replace it, now that the weather is getting better I shall be there shortly to have a look and probably replace with a stainless glue in, in a very similar position. Unless someone else wants to take it on?CheersNick B

Thanks Nick, I haven't got the experience or kit, but if you need some help on the day, give me a shout.

I was wondering if the committee would take like for like replacement to the extreme and suggest cementing in another peg!

FreshSlate 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

I get back from font on the 1st, a packet of pork scratchings you say?
OP Andy Say 23 Mar 2017
In reply to FreshSlate:

Maybe.....
 UKB Shark 23 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:
> I think Simon Lee, the new Affinity Partnerships person is hoping to attend to explain what he is working on.

Yes, please.

Tony Ryan will be forwarding a paper covering Affinity Partnerships and commercial endorsement for local circulation and discussion with a view to the principle of endorsement being voted on at the next National Council meeting.
Post edited at 23:20
OP Andy Say 27 Mar 2017
In reply to ukb shark:

> Yes, please.Tony Ryan will be forwarding a paper covering Affinity Partnerships and commercial endorsement for local circulation and discussion with a view to the principle of endorsement being voted on at the next National Council meeting.

Great.

I'm also informed that Dave Turnbull will be along with the BMC report so plenty of opportunities to question the main man.

And Martin Kocsis should be along as well to spark some discussion about guidebook information.

Plenty going on! Get on down before the sarnies run out.
astley007 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

Wow..we are being honoured to have the "big cheese" comming down from BMC towers to attend our little soiree,
and Mr K..maybe he doesnt realise, we have just produced a fantastic "tile" of a guide book for this area...and maybe wants to cause "mischief" about other areas called the weak..or should that be peak?...
and also to discuss Simons very interesting paper on "Affinity Partnerships" which is on the BMC community website..and worth a read prior to the meeting so that you can have your points/questions ready.
All we need now is a mysterous figure ( who previously was involved in this pub) to explain how his identity was stolen by a bad Southerner.
All the makings of good old fashioned NW BMC area meeting!!
The pork scratchings could be flying!!!!
Cheers
In reply to astley007:

Hi Nick, I know we produced the Lancs guide - I was in it!

In this particular case I'll be raising and discussing the BMC Guidebook Committee's decision to delete FA details from the Lancs and limestone guides. I took the issue to the Peak Area and their decision was unanimously criticised by everyone at the meeting. The reasoning that the GBC have so far given for deleting all FA information from their guides has been unconvincing and contradictory at best. As far as I'm concerned, they've got away with a significant and unacceptable change to the whole ethos of BMC guides and "they" really need to be called to account for it.

Dave T was at the Peak meeting and the subsequent National Council meeting and he's written to the chair of the GBC (Ian Carr) so he should be able to give us quite a lot of information about this issue.

Like I said at the Peak Area meeting, I am coming at this as someone who gives a damn, but not everyone does...what are your thoughts?
 BlownAway 27 Mar 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:
As luck would have it I'm in Bolton that evening and may just pop in if this is on the radar.

OP Andy Say 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

Note to self. See if they can make more sandwiches.......
 Simon Caldwell 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Frank the Husky:

> As far as I'm concerned, they've got away with a significant and unacceptable change to the whole ethos of BMC guides and "they" really need to be called to account for it.

Perhaps you should table a motion of no confidence....
OP Andy Say 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

> Perhaps you should table a motion of no confidence....

Nooooooooooo!
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

As it happens, I don't have a lot of confidence in a committee that makes such a terrible decision!
In reply to Andy Say:

...yes, I'll be there, and maybe even for a quick route beforehand if I'm lucky, Dave
OP Andy Say 28 Mar 2017
In reply to Dave Turnbull, BMC:

Cool. Look forward to seeing you Dave. Your sandwich of choice.....?
In reply to BlownAway: Interesting developments here Phil. After the Peak Area unanimously opposed the GBC's decision to delete histories from their guides, the GBC have now had a change of heart and will put FA details into the next guide (Peak Limestone South). Whether they do it in the "traditional" BMC manner or use on of the many other options avaialble remains to be seen. Either way it's good news for people who are bothered by such things.

I'd spent a fair bit of time opposing their decision (especially with regard to the Lancs guide), all the while being rebuffed and told it was a done deal. To now discover that the very same objections and reasoning have been accepted without further ado is a relief on the one hand, but quite depressing on the other. The Lancs area guide is poorer than it should be, all for a decision that was quickly reversed when someone other than "just me" got involved. I've sent Carl and Andy a separate email to update them and so the issue won't be as prominent on the agenda, but I'm sure there might be a point or two in there worth talking about.

OP Andy Say 01 Apr 2017
In reply to astley007:

Hey Nick, do you have a link for the paper on 'Affinity Partnerships'? I can't find it!

All, agenda for the meeting and minutes of last are available through the BMC community / events sections. We'll have some paper copies of the agenda to circulate.

So.... Motions of confidence, infinity pools and guidebooks. Can't wait for a bolt scare to come along (maybe we could discuss the new lower-offs at Aldery ).

See you all on Monday.
 UKB Shark 02 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

Andy

You can download it from the Peak Area Meeting notice: http://community.thebmc.co.uk/Event.aspx?id=3848

Simon
OP Andy Say 02 Apr 2017
In reply to ukb shark:

Cheers, Simon.
OP Andy Say 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

As there seems to be some interest (!) in the membership response to the Motion of No Confidence I can report that with an attendance of 18 the NW area unanimously indicated that they would be opposing the Motion of No Confidence.
In reply to Andy Say:

Thanks for the update Andy, good to have an idea of what other areas are saying - our meeting is tomorrow night.
 UKB Shark 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

> As there seems to be some interest (!) in the membership response to the Motion of No Confidence I can report that with an attendance of 18 the NW area unanimously indicated that they would be opposing the Motion of No Confidence.

<cough> I recall one in favour

OP Andy Say 04 Apr 2017
In reply to ukb shark:

Don't be mischievous. We sit him in the corner for a reason!
 UKB Shark 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

You saying his word isn't his bond?
 johncook 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:

Maybe you should call them bolt anchors (about 7 sets of them), as that is what they are. There are no rings on them, just the bolts. They have replaced the trees, that have been felled, that had ab points attached!
It is on the Peak Area agenda for Wednesday.
OP Andy Say 04 Apr 2017
In reply to johncook:

Different thread, John!
 johncook 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Andy Say:
You mentioned it in an earlier post (14:16) on this thread. Thought I would just let others know what you were referring to in case they had missed it!
astley007 04 Apr 2017
In reply to ukb shark:
I voted for the motion of no confidence at the area meeting to remind the CEO, the National Council Members (inc myself) and the members who attend the area meeting, and also read what is is happenning on on BMC NW area page.
That this is "your" organisation, you fund the majority of it with you fees, and you should have a say in how its run!!
It is going through a "small" crisis and we need to look at it carefully and be able to see what parts are not working, and be able to stand up, discuss these and be listened too.
Change happens, and this organisation has to move with it, be we should all be involved and consulted on where it is going, but we need people to lead on this give recommendations so we can be supportive or not.

This does not mean I will be supporting the motion at the AGM, I dont want to see the Exec team brought down, I just want free and open decisions about how we move on.

Finally, at the end of the AGM , when this motion is heavily defeated, we should be asking Bob and Doug to resign for their honorary posts that they have within the BMC, I especially cannot see how Doug could carry on as patron after this, and should fall on his rusty aplenstock.
and
If they are not prepared too it should be an AOB at the N/C meeting to have them removed.
Cheers
Nick B
BMC NW Area Volunteer and National Council Member
ps
back to the corner again!!

OP Andy Say 04 Apr 2017
In reply to astley007:

Sorry, Nick. I will get in straight in the minutes. But we also needed an indication of those who would support the motion at the AGM.

Cheers,

Andy (on the naughty step)
 Rob Parsons 04 Apr 2017
In reply to astley007:

> ... Finally, at the end of the AGM , when this motion is heavily defeated, we should be asking Bob and Doug to resign for their honorary posts that they have within the BMC, I especially cannot see how Doug could carry on as patron after this, and should fall on his rusty aplenstock.andIf they are not prepared too it should be an AOB at the N/C meeting to have them removed.

Why stop there? Logically, you'd have to expel all 30 signatories, wouldn't you?

For myself, though: if the motion is properly presented at the AGM by one/some of its proposers; properly debated; and then defeated; then I think the idea of any ensuing punishment beatings would be a rotten one.

I won't be at the AGM. I hope the minute-takers are on good form.
Post edited at 18:16
OP Andy Say 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Rob. You weren't at the meeting. You didn't hear the discussion. You are not going to the BMC AGM. It might be better if you restrict contributions to more 'general' threads as opposed to this area-specific one?
In reply to astley007:

Hi Nick

I don't know the rules about 'sacking' a Patron or getting an Honorary Member' to resign but I would be certain to remove their support/nominations to attend UIAA meetings on behalf of the BMC.

Cheers
Graeme
astley007 04 Apr 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:
Hi Rob,
No Iam happy to have ALL of them as ordinary members, where they could pay their fees and turn up at area meetings to put their views forward like any other member.

pa·tron
/?p?tr?n/

noun

1. a person who gives financial or other support to a person, organization, cause, or activity
Dont think Doug is supportive of the organisation..so therefore he should resign.

Bob is an Hononary Member as gets all the benefits of a member without having to pay any fees..so he is causing all this mischief on a "freebie!!"

An by becoming ordinary members they like all the rest of us "punters", and like G stated above, they should not be sent on any UIAA "junkets" at our expense.

Cheers
Nick B

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...