UKC

Brian Nally

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Will McManus 19 Aug 2019

Brian Nally was killed in a fall some years later. He climbed alone and was lost 

We have some reports that he was Killed in 1968 when at the summit when the Cornice gave way on the Similaun North Wall. But this describes him as being an Irish national? As far as we knew from his Rock hoppers membership that Brian was from the London area. I am in touch with the family of Barry Brewster who have been an enormous help in making this documentary, which is firstly a tribute to these guys and secondly an historical account of British Mountaineering.

In reply to Will McManus:

Well, as you know, Chris Bonington, in his account in 'I Chose to Climb' of the rescue he and Whillans made of Brian Nally on the Eigerwand after Brewster had fallen to his death, describes them as being from 'Southern England'. There is no mention of Nally being in any way Irish. It's quite a long description over several pages, with quite a lot of dialogue with Nally, and Bonington I'm sure would have noticed and probably mentioned if he he'd had an Irish accent.

Post edited at 00:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...