UKC

Burbage Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fredt 02 May 2018

Copied from the Sheffield Bird Study Group Website yesterday, on the latest sightings page.

"Burbage Rocks: Kestrel - 1 ; Buzzard - 1 ; Meadow Pipit - 6+ - Three climbers climbing in an area where there are at least four notices asking people to keep out because there are Ring Ouzels nesting there"

In reply to Fredt:

Bump

alx 02 May 2018
In reply to Fredt:

> "Burbage Rocks: Kestrel - 1 ; Buzzard - 1 ; Meadow Pipit - 6+ - Three climbers climbing in an area where there are at least four notices asking people to keep out because there are Ring Ouzels nesting there"

Were they duly chased from the restricted area?

In reply to Fredt:

I've sent a message to Kim Leyland, the climber/ornithologist that is running the survey, so that he's aware. 

Just to re-iterate to anyone else reading this, if you do see people within the signed areas - irrespective of what they're doing (climbing/walking/picnicking) - please have a quiet word. Dogs on leads are also an important factor, as Ring Ouzels tend to nest either in/around the crag or on the ground near it - as such are extremely vulnerable.

On a more positive note, I'm monitoring them over at Bamford Edge and so far so good: we've got three pairs and none (at least so far) are nesting on the crag. 

Post edited at 17:41
 JimR 02 May 2018
In reply to Fredt:

We inadvertently climbed at one of the ring ouzel sites a couple of weeks ago. This was because the signs were only visible when accessing from the path below the crag and we accessed from the top path where no signs are visible. Hopefully that situation has now been rectified.

Kim 02 May 2018
In reply to Fredt:

Hi all,

The signs currently up in Burbage ask people to keep to the paths around a particular area, but there are no restrictions on any named climbing routes. Of course I can't be sure of the situation, but it's likely they were not climbing within the restriction.

It was a tricky location this one - the signs are very deliberately positioned and worded to keep people away from the nest without giving away its exact location, as it's in quite a vulnerable spot (to general disturbance, not specifically climbers). Unfortunately, as it turns out, it may appear that the restriction includes part of the main crag, which it doesn't. I'll see if I can add a couple of extra signs near the edge before the weekend to help clear this up.

On the plus side they've been working well here as far as the nest is concerned - the female was still incubating this evening.

Kim Leyland.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...