UKC

Castle Rock access and a warning

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbingpixie 20 May 2023

FYI - the parking at Legburthwaite seems to be open again so the crag info might need to be updated.

The approach and crag base are absolutely swarming with ticks though, between my partner and I were must've picked up 35+ (these are just the ones we spotted on us at the crag, will check again later). Never experienced anything like it on a Lakeland crag, tbh it was even worse than orienteering in Scotland! So would recommend long trousers and Deet/Smidge/Permethrin for the approach.

Castle Rock of Triermain

In reply to climbingpixie:

Yes, ticks are bad round there. Raven crag was the worst I've ever seen outside of Scotland.

Godwin 20 May 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Which Raven Crag please?

OP climbingpixie 20 May 2023
In reply to Godwin:

I'd assume Threshthwaite from the mention of proximity to Castle Rock.

OP climbingpixie 20 May 2023
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

I was really surprised at how bad they were, hadn't realised this was a common issue in the area. But I'll bear it in mind for future trips and ensure I'm not in cropped trousers!

Rob Parsons 20 May 2023

> The approach and crag base are absolutely swarming with ticks though ...

Yuck. Those things are definitely getting worse.

Purple 21 May 2023
In reply to climbingpixie: Maybe more likely Raven Crag Thirlmere, diagonally across the valley?

OP climbingpixie 21 May 2023
In reply to Purple:

D'oh, of course. I got confused between which one was which.

Michael Hood 21 May 2023

What! Is there more than one Raven Crag in the Lakes 🤣🤣🤣

Another alert for Castle Rock, specific to the N Crag. Kestrels nesting in an inconvenient place from a climbing perspective. I posted details on this forum on 6 May as part of an update on Lakes climbing restrictions. The S Crag is not affected.

In reply to Godwin:

The one that's 'round there' when talking about castle rock.

In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

It would probably be helpful if this sort of thing was on the RAD or the crag database as we climbed on the North Crag yesterday with no idea about it.

ETA we didn't see any kestrels, just loads of jackdaws.

Post edited at 12:16
 biggianthead 21 May 2023

Eskdale and Duddon are also pretty grim for ticks and the bracken hasn't grown yet!

Still nothing like as bad as the Doubs in France!

Timy2 21 May 2023

North Tick Eliminate....

The Ticks of Triermain... 

In reply to Timy2:

Not forgetting the classic Rigor Moreticks!!

The easiest place to get up-to-date bird restrictions information and advice is the FRCC website  (frcc.co.uk) and, of course, posts on this forum. I post whenever there are changes to restrictions. The situation with Castle is a request rather than a formal restriction.

The RAD  sometimes takes a little time to update (not my patch) and the crag moderators are the people to update the crags database.

On the subject of ticks I can throughly recommend Armathwaite in July and August, you may be surprised if not embarrassed at where the light blighters can take hold.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...