UKC

Chapel Head Scar banned from February or March?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 OllieBarker 19 Feb 2018

Hey all, firstly apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Chapel Head Scar this weekend should the forecast be good. I just want to confirm the dates climbing is banned though.

The UKC approach notes say it's banned between February 1st and June 30th yet the Access Advice says it's between 1 March to 30 June. It does say from the 1st of March on the BMC site but I just wanted to double check before I make the trip.

Will be the last weekend before the ban commences if it is from March so hopeful to get there.

Anonymous 19 Feb 2018
In reply to OllieBrkr:

Likely to be seeping badly at this time of year.

In reply to OllieBrkr:

The FRCC website is usually the best place to look though I see this year's haven't been posted yet, but last year it was from the 1st March - see: https://www.frcc.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/AGREED-BIRD-NESTING-RESTR...

OP OllieBarker 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Anonymous:

Thanks, yeah it's a risk. The plan now is likely to head to St. Bees instead. Will just have to see how the weather pans out.

OP OllieBarker 20 Feb 2018
In reply to Cumbrian Climber:

Thank you I'll keep checking there :thumbsupemoji:

Jon Read 23 Feb 2018
In reply to OllieBrkr:

I think you stand a very good chance of it being dry, though there may be some smaller weeps on the main wall. It's been bone dry here for the past week, and the cold weather has drawn a lot of moisture out. Given the forecast I would pack suncream!

OP OllieBarker 23 Feb 2018
In reply to Jon Read:

Appreciate the info thanks mate we might give it a shot. Wind direction looks good for it.

Jon Read 23 Feb 2018
In reply to OllieBrkr:

Yeah, if anywhere is sheltered and warm tomorrow it will be CHS. May even see you there!

In reply to OllieBrkr:

We were a bit late meeting this year but the bird restrictions have just gone on FRCC Website (dropdown menu under climbing) and BMC RAD. Chapel Head is currently restricted from 1st March to 30th June although the restriction may be lifted early once the location of the nest is pinpointed. There are normally ravens nesting as well but their nest is not affected by climbing. Regarding the UKC approach details, two the best of my he crag has never had a restriction starting February 1st - always best to go to the definitive sites, i.e. FRCC or BMC.

Jon Read 25 Feb 2018
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

For ease of access: https://www.frcc.co.uk/bird-restrictions/

OP OllieBarker 26 Feb 2018
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Thanks for the update. Annoying how dates aren't the same everywhere.

Didn't get to Chapel Head in the end. Went to St Bees Saturday and while bouldering was superb the majority of the faces were seeping horribly. Glad we didn't carry out mats down and our sport gear.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...