UKC

Cheddar Access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Kemball 31 May 2020

Cheddar Climbing?
Are you heading to Cheddar? Please, please check the BMC access database to see where climbing is and is not permitted - https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/rad/view.aspx?id=930
Note - today (31st May) access is restricted in the "orange" areas on the map. Copies of the map and information about where you can climb are also clearly posted in the gorge.
Sadly, after a very good start last weekend, with nearly all climbers sticking to the rules, our Cheddar access rep reports that about 20% of climbers in the gorge were climbing where they should not over the last 6 days. If this continues, there is a real risk that the landowner could withdraw our permission to climb, so please stick to the rules. Also, if you see someone climbing where they should not, please have a quiet, friendly word with them and explain the situation.
Thanks for your help, we really do not want to loose access to this great venue.
Mark Kemball (BMC SW area chair).

In reply to Mark Kemball:

On Friday evening thankfully we didn’t see any climbers in the restricted access areas. However, there were some ‘exuberant’ local youth scrambling around up on the South Side as high up as Acid Rock. They were breaking off tree branches, throwing rocks down, bouncing on the rock catch fences, shouting naughty words, baring their arses and generally looking like they might die in some hideous mishap. Meanwhile, at the base of the quarry there was a lovely family picnic somewhat spoilt by grandma p*ssing behind a rock and leaving the toilet paper. Of course this was accompanied throughout the evening by a gathering of the Petrol Head masses seeing just who had the loudest exhaust pipe and shiniest bonnet. Unusually the police stayed around for most of the evening following the motorbikes and then parking up next to the shiny bonnets. Such a tranquil haven of nature Cheddar Gorge. 

monkey man 31 May 2020

Thanks for the reminder and all the ongoing work. 

Thanks for this Mark, saw a few guys climbing yesterday in restricted areas. Was going to have a word but they’d finished and were leaving as I was heading down. I think at the moment the shade is the main reason people are breaking the rules. Which is still absolutely no excuse. But perhaps explains why those that aren’t clear tend to end up in the wrong place.

Echo the comments about cars. It is seemingly getting worse and worse. It’s been part of cheddar since I first went in 05. I often wonder how you could solve it. A noise restriction on the gorge itself perhaps! We can only dream. 

Ally Smith 01 Jun 2020
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

> Echo the comments about cars. It is seemingly getting worse and worse. It’s been part of cheddar since I first went in 05. I often wonder how you could solve it. A noise restriction on the gorge itself perhaps! We can only dream. 

Pedestrianise the gorge?

PaulJepson 01 Jun 2020
In reply to Ally Smith:

Was there yesterday and talking about this. 

The road is not essential to get anywhere, as far as I know. Stick a big carpark on the edge of town and only allow vehicle access for locals and deliveries. Give the cyclists a lane though, those perverts don't cause any harm. 

Horrible amount of traffic and noise there yesterday. 

PaulJepson 01 Jun 2020

Or maybe just a big speed bump either side of the narrows. That would stop a lot of those silly lowered cars and also solve the problem of those mental downhill drift carters they get there sometimes. 

tomrainbow 01 Jun 2020
In reply to richsmithinbristol:

Hi Rich, That's one of my top posts ever! Hilarious and a powerful reminder for me to get back to Cheddar soon.

Hope all is well with you and yours .

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...