UKC

Cheddar South Side, access risk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 just one more 11 Jul 2021

What's going on with people still risking access by climbing routes that are prohibited for the summer? Space Tourist was climbed and logged yesterday!Surely there's enough info out there that we can't plead ignorance about the arrangements forever

Powley 11 Jul 2021
In reply to just one more:

You'd think there were enough warnings - but some people just don't care enough

FactorXXX 11 Jul 2021

>  Space Tourist was climbed and logged yesterday!Surely there's enough info out there that we can't plead ignorance about the arrangements forever

Breaking News!
Richard Branson is attempting an ascent as we speak...

Post edited at 16:36
 springfall2008 12 Jul 2021

> What's going on with people still risking access by climbing routes that are prohibited for the summer? Space Tourist was climbed and logged yesterday!Surely there's enough info out there that we can't plead ignorance about the arrangements forever

I think Space Tourist is accessible after 6pm all year around?

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/download.aspx?id=1732

Edit - or maybe not, actually it's confusing and that maybe part of the issue!

Post edited at 09:56
 beardy mike 12 Jul 2021
In reply to springfall2008:

Sunset Buttress is quite clearly in the orange zone excluding it from that particular regime.

ericinbristol 12 Jul 2021

I have just checked with the team involved. It was an honest mistake.

They did ask another climber who reassured them that it was fine after 6pm in summer and apparently there is a sign by the road saying something like that. So there may be a signage ambiguity. I am not going to Cheddar at the moment but maybe someone could check. 

I hope this will be reassuring to Cheddar Caves and Gorge should they become aware of this. 

In reply to springfall2008:

The only areas I can see coloured blue for access after 6pm are Horseshoe Bend, Yew Tree Wall, and Ginsberg Wall. Space Tourist isn't on any of those.

I've never found it confusing, it just takes slightly more effort than checking today's date. If someone has the capacity to use a guidebook to successfully get to the crag and identify individual routes, then they have the capacity to correctly identify the name of the entire crag and read the access notes for it.

You can pretty much take a conservative guess which access agreement applies to different routes by looking at them anyway - if it is high up or multi-pitch and therefore a chance of something falling a long way onto the road without warning then it's winter only. Single pitch roadside crags; only outside bank holidays and school holidays. During bank holidays and school holidays, default assumption for any south side cliffs is no access.

Edit: Seeing ericinbristol's post, if signage on the ground isn't clear which crags are being referred to then that could indeed make it confusing. 

Post edited at 12:32
 smbnji 12 Jul 2021
In reply to ericinbristol:

> there is a sign by the road saying something like that. So there may be a signage ambiguity

The signs stating "climbing only permitted after 6pm" are directly attached to the routes they're relevant to.

Post edited at 12:47
 springfall2008 12 Jul 2021
In reply to beardy mike:

Your right, I had to check twice to spot that!

ericinbristol 12 Jul 2021

We all - every one of us - make genuine mistakes even if there is clear info available. Sure, if you can read a guidebook you can get it right. You can also get it totally wrong. Yesterday I looked at the guidebook and mistook one route for another one, managed to make the features fit in my head and did what turned out to be a random non line. Afterwards, a closer look at the guidebook by my climbing partner revealed the error.   

Post edited at 15:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...