UKC

Cown Rocks Access. Outside Glossop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JimHolmes69 18 Apr 2022

We were bouldering here today and have been before with no problem. The farmer came today and said he doesn’t want anyone climbing here and that it is private land. We had a polite discussion but he wasn’t changing his mind. The crag access officer for the area needs to be aware of this situation. We packed and left. I think we were unlucky but it may happen again in the future. Cown Edge Rocks

Climber_Bill 18 Apr 2022
In reply to JimHolmes69:

That's a shame, I used to climb there quite a bit in the past.

Looking at the Natural England CRoW map, it does appear that quite a lot of Cown Edge Rocks are on CRoW land. Certainly from Monks Road all the way up the hillside is CRoW land, along the edge of the crag and over the top. There is a section where the CroW land stops just below the crag, but it is only a small area.

mrphilipoldham 18 Apr 2022
In reply to Climber_Bill:

The bulk isn't unfortunately on the OS map, especially the big quarry which harbours most of the recognised (on here, at least.. there's loads more in the new small moors guide) problems. Assuming Jim was in the quarry then there's not much that can be said really, however if it was on some of the bittier bits further south westward then there needs to be some affirmation of what is and isn't allowed with the farmer. Either way hopefully the BMC can intervene and provide a positive outcome  

OP JimHolmes69 18 Apr 2022
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

We were in the quarry. But I think we were unlucky as he was checking for lambs, I would certainly try again. But it is worth noting.

mrphilipoldham 18 Apr 2022
In reply to JimHolmes69:

Yes it's heavily grazed and being near the road he's likely to be in and out quite often at this time of year.. it's pretty discreet otherwise! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...