UKC

Crag dog training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JVard 18 May 2017
Hi all

I've just got a puppy (a few weeks ago) and I've been attempting to teach her to stay off pads just in the garden thus far.
I'm assuming a fair few folk have been through this process and I'm wondering if there have been particular trainig methods that have helped more then others?
Thanks in advance.
 marsbar 18 May 2017
In reply to JVard:

Not specifically as mine was far to lively and spirited to go to the crags (rescue dog, tried it once well away from anyone and it wasn't good - he thought I was in mortal danger while climbing and barked a lot)

From a general point of view,
I would suggest giving a positive reinforcement alternative to anything you don't want them to do. E.g. Instead of don't sit on the pad, do sit on this blanket and get rewarded.

Dog associates sitting on blanket with treats. Have someone around initially to fuss the dog while you climb so dog can see it's all fine. Gradually reduce the fuss so that as they get older they can just lie down while you climb.

Don't inadvertently reinforce negative behaviour- so if dog is barking when you climb, try not to give fuss or treats or the impression that him barking means you come down. Have the other person distract him instead.
ceri 18 May 2017
In reply to JVard: I second that advice! Its much easier to teach a dog to do something (stay on this blanket) than not do something (go on the bouldering mat). Staying on their own bed also stops them wandering off to say hi to other climbers. We also had a safety conscious dog (the one in my profile pic) who hated climbing, and even used to herd you away from the edge on walks if you tried to get too close to admire the view!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...