UKC

Craig y Longridge access problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The agreement for climbing at Longridge says "No climbing beforer 10am and after 9pm". That's a pretty good arrangement in anyone's book.

At least one of the residents is getting pissed off at people overstaying the hours and making loads of noise in the process. A complaint has gone into the BMC and thing could get difficult very quickly unless users do as requested.

As far as the agreement goes: use it or lose it.
 JR 18 May 2016
In reply to Frank the Husky:

For clarity, here's the RAD: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=797

And it's probably worthwhile showing the complaint (it's public elsewhere):

>Good evening

>I live at Green Bank Park in Longridge, unfortunately backing on to one of your bouldering walls, Craig y Longridge.

>I was led to believe that there are restrictions in place which state that climbers will not use the wall after sunset. It is now 21:28 and dark outside with climbers still on the wall directly behind my home. In fact they are shouting to each other directly in front of my sons' bedroom window. He is now awake!

>I am sick of climbers who use this wall leaving litter which blows into my garden, bringing MOTORBIKES down the narrow access path, bringing dogs with the,, turning up before 10am and outstanding their welcome after dark.

>I would appreciate your cooperation to resolve these issues with immediate effect and to return my family's quality of life to that as it was during the winter months.

>Regards,

>Xxxxxxxxxx.
Post edited at 11:21
astley007 18 May 2016
In reply to JR:

Am posting here to try and balance this out:
We all as BMC members own this crag, and have as a responsible body, placed our own voluntary code of use on something that belongs to us, which we feel is fair to other people in the vicinity.
Also, the people who purchased the dwellings below the crag must have been made aware that climbers will be using the crag in daylight hours and may occasionally produce some noise, and this noise being similar to the residents when they are having a soiree outside their dwelling. I was offered a burger once.
This has meant that all, as neighbours, have lived together, harmoniously, with no complaints since the BMC bought the crag in 2007 until now.
I must point out that in many visits to the crag since 2007, I have never seen a problem with litter, the crag has always been very clean, only with the rare need to pick up discarded finger tape. When I was there last week the only "litter" I found was a left sweatshirt, which was neatly folded and left on the fence. The same cannot be said for above the crag which had plastic bottles, paper wrappers etc stuck in the gorse bushes above the crag from non-climbers.
I have never seen any climber park their motorbike, or ride it, underneath the crag. (please correct me if you have seen this)
I have never seen a dog at the crag ( as above, but I feel owners may have brought well behaved ones?)
With regard to noise before 10am, I know of the odd climber that has an early morning session, but never any noise.
With regards to the late evening noise, I am sure we will all respect the 9pm or sunset curfew!!..and do as climbers forget about the time when we are having fun..so let's do our best to stick to this,
but reminding residents that they only need to pop out remind us that it is after 9pm and I'm sure we would appologise and quieten down.
However, we may need to remind residents that there is a road above the crag, and non climbers do seem to use the area above the crag as a meeting point, and also make noise, before heading over the moors for other nocturnal activities.
What does concern me is the last paragraph:
"I would appreciate your cooperation to resolve these issues with immediate effect and to return my family's quality of life to that as it was during the winter months."
i.e. no climbers,...... are they a new resident, that has not been told the truth about climbers during the lighter months? and they are" venting their spleen" at us as our web address is easily visible...again bearing in mind no other complaints. Some-one having a bad day with a crying child that is taking it out on the climbers nearby (only my opinion)
Whenever I have climbed there I have always seen climbers having respect for the cottage owners and vice-versa
That is why I am so surprised at such an aggressive letter and had to respond when there has never been an issue.
 Mark Collins 18 May 2016
In reply to astley007:

Makes me wonder what evidence the complainant can produce to substantiate their claim.
 JR 18 May 2016
In reply to astley007:

I personally don't want to get into an argument about it. People have a tendency to bundle all this frustration, relevant or otherwise, at the person/body they can most easily direct it at which is obviously the BMC. At the end of the day, strip all the argumentative language away from the complaint, including the frustrations about litter and motorbikes that have been bundled in and you're left with:

>I was led to believe that there are restrictions in place which state that climbers will not use the wall after sunset. It is now 21:28 and dark outside with climbers still...

There were still people there at 2140. Home or holiday home, it's in breach of the agreement.

Two wrongs and that... As you say the rest is sortable. To my mind, the solution is; the climbers involved eat humble pie on this occasion, the access notices get displayed more prominently (already being sorted) so that everyone is educated and let Rob/BMC investigate the permanent residence issue. Similarly, if there are other issues with motorbikes/litter etc then the BMC can look into this separately as landowners.
Post edited at 15:14
 JR 18 May 2016
In reply to astley007:

> I have never seen any climber park their motorbike, or ride it, underneath the crag. (please correct me if you have seen this)

Alas, seems this is happening.

On the other channel: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1566324270279682/
 Offwidth 19 May 2016
In reply to JR:

Good discussion, sadly it makes UKC seem pale and out of it.

The other other channel:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,27074.0/topicseen.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...