UKC

Eastwood Rocks, peak district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 foxjerk 02 Jun 2015
I'm going to a wedding and staying for a week quite literally 1 km from this crag. is it seriously banned or do people discretely and responsibly access it? I will be with the wife and kids, but the thought of a really close by bit of climbing that i could walk to made me want to know what people do here. some of the the pics of the routes look reasonably recent.....

I'm happy to leave well alone, but I thought it worth a check
 jimjimjim 02 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:

Have a walk and find out for yourself.
 Offwidth 02 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:

It is seriously banned but many climb and boulder there (and leave politely if asked to do so). Turning Stone Edge and various other Amber Valley gems are all just another couple of kmaway ... all in the Froggatt guide.
OP foxjerk 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Offwidth:

Cool, thanks. I think I'll leave well alone then, I don't want to cause any local issues
 DerwentDiluted 02 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:

If you are here for a week then Wildcat, Froggatt etc are all really close and probably offer more than Eastwood. Theres some good bouldering and a few standout routes but its also quite overgrown and green worth an evening walk to satisfy curiosity perhaps but theres a lot more close by.
 climber34neil 02 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:

Go to cratcliff!
 James Malloch 02 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:

Is there actually a problem at Eastwood? I know officially there is but plenty seem to climb there. I've been a few times and never seen a soul.

I would imagine you'd be fine if you're decent about it, don't litter etc etc.
OP foxjerk 03 Jun 2015
In reply to James Malloch:

cheers for the info, im good at being discrete!
 Graeme Hammond 03 Jun 2015
In reply to foxjerk:
Been plenty of times and never had a problem though ive always been quiet and parked at the layby on alton lane which is only a minute extra walking from the place that the Froggatt guide suggest but is much more discrete. Though as others have suggest other local crags will offer much more.
Post edited at 14:30
 Offwidth 03 Jun 2015
In reply to James Malloch:
Yes there is a problem. The farmer really doent want anyone there. He seems to be particularly annoyed by any combination of bigger groups, dogs and litter. The BMC advice is here:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/ViewCrag.aspx?id=60

I have lost count of the number of times I have climbed there. Go would be my advice but leave politely if asked.
Post edited at 15:17

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...