UKC

Eavestone access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattyk 11 Aug 2011
Couldn't find anything in the RAD for this.

The approach to all the main buttresses e.g. Wedge, Eavestone etc on the south-western side of the lake. There is a rope tied across the access path with a sign - private property keep out.

Not sure what the access situation has been previously - tolerated? or if this is directed at climbers but maybe worth checking out.

Maybe somebody could get Dave M to see this as I know he has a fondness for Eavestone and might know more.

Cheers
Matt
 the sheep 11 Aug 2011
In reply to Mattyk:

The Private signs are not specifically directed at climbers. They were erected by the land owner due to trespass on his property. The owners have a chalet in the woods which last summer was broken into, used as place to doss and party by a group and then trashed. The resultant ban on access is as a direct result.
 jkarran 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:

Is the implication there that access for climbing is still tolerated despite the signs?
jk
 the sheep 11 Aug 2011
In reply to jkarran:

No, just that the signs were not erected to specifically discourage climbers. Well hopefully it wasn't climbers who caused the initial damage.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Aug 2011
In reply to the sheep:
"The BMC has been unable to identify the landowner to discuss potential access to this area - if anyone has any information on this please contact the BMC office."

http://thebmc.co.uk/bmccrag/ViewCrag.aspx?id=478
 Dave Musgrove 12 Aug 2011
In reply to Mattyk:

I believe the rope has been in place for several months now. certainly since last winter - and I don't know what prompted it. However it is easy to step accross and I know of several climbers who have been there this year and no one - to my knowledge, has been challenged. The woods on this side are keepered for breeding pheasants and have always been 'private land' but climbing seems to be tolerated. Things may change if the place ever becomes really popular but, despite the best efforts of Tony and I in the 1990s, that never happened. I suggest keep going in small groups and if anyone is challenged in the future try to find out the reasons and who to contact for further discussion.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...