UKC

Goddards quarry - potential access issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ro8x 27 Nov 2020

A planning application has been submitted to film a movie in the quarry (rumoured to be a Mission impossible film). The application outlines quite a few changes and building works. Details below at the planning portal. 

https://portal.peakdistrict.gov.uk/result/YToyOntzOjE0OiJPYmplY3RfVHlwZV9JR...

Goddard's Quarry

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 27 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

This isn’t Goddard’s (more’s the pity...).

Neil

raussmf 27 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

Mission impossible: one mans mission to find margalef quality sport climbing outside stoney Middleton

Martin Haworth 27 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

Sounds quite exciting, they plan to crash a train off a bridge at 30mph into a water. 

cragtyke 27 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

Looks like Darlton Quarry, with the Shady Wall potentially the most affected. Darlton Quarry

TobyA 27 Nov 2020
In reply to cragtyke:

Yep, it's Darlton, they've even got a photo of the little rockfall that I asked about earlier in the summer on the right of Sunny Sector.

They either didn't notice the bolts in the wall they intend to build on/over or decided not to. I'm pretty certain a peregrine was nesting on the left of the South wall this summer too. I didn't read everything but didn't see that mentioned either.

OP ro8x 27 Nov 2020
In reply to Neil Foster: ah sorry, I know it as Goddards, incorrectly told by a friend. 

johncook 27 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

This is Darlton Quarry. There were guys in last week with a huge cherry picker and a min i digger investigating the place. We asked if it was OK to climb and they said Yes no problem! They were looking mainly at the south side of the quarry above the main wall. We were in Sunny (White Stripes) Wall. They seemed friendly enough but gave no explanation of what they were surveying for!

Steve Clegg 27 Nov 2020
In reply to johncook

”but gave no explanation of what they were surveying for!”

ffs, it’s Mission Impossible!! D’you think they’ll talk to a couple of climbers??

johncook 28 Nov 2020
In reply to Steve Clegg:

Usually surveyors and digger drivers are happy to talk to anyone to extend working time! They seemed pleasant enough, just doing a job and they were happy enough to talk to us! But I they were just sussing out the safety of the south face and the ground structure. TRhey really had not much idea why.

Richard J 28 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

As a Stoney resident, I feel I should be appalled at the unnecessary noise, disturbance, traffic etc...

...but they're going to drive a 60 tonne locomotive off the edge of a cliff to fall into a pool of water below!  That's so magnificently bonkers, I want to be there when it happens!

(For Toby, the peregrine is mentioned briefly in the main document, but the section of the ecological assessment that outlines what is recommended they do about it is redacted).

TobyA 28 Nov 2020
In reply to Richard J:

If you can Airbnb a spare room for a few weeks sounds like you'll be quids in according to the bit I read on input into the local economy! I can do a good deal on our sofa bed in the front room just over the hill in Holmesfield if Mr Cruise needs somewhere slightly away from the hubbub of Stoney for when he arrives. 

Odd about redacting something, although it's not that I know anything about planning applications. So maybe it isn't odd. I walked through Darlton Quarry recently while out for a walk with my family. I've climbed there a few times this summer but had never looked into the little office building by the entrance before. A bit Marie Celeste-like in that there's normal stuff left there but it all look like no one has been in there in many years.

Richard J 28 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I'm sure that Stoney will be much too scruffy and low rent for Mr Cruise.  A sofa in the much tonier neighbourhood of Holmesfield, though, that's a very different matter.

I was thinking that it's only a couple of years since they finished quarrying in Darlton, but it turns out to be 2008 when they stopped.  

Michael Hood 28 Nov 2020
In reply to ro8x:

On the planning webpage I'm not seeing a link to any documents that detail the application.

d_b 28 Nov 2020
In reply to Richard J:

> (For Toby, the peregrine is mentioned briefly in the main document, but the section of the ecological assessment that outlines what is recommended they do about it is redacted).

"if the peregrine mysteriously disappears then we don't have to worry about it".

Michael Hood 29 Nov 2020
In reply to d_b:

Is that actually the redacted bit (from another source) or are you just humorously speculating?

If it's outside the breeding season then disturbance shouldn't be a problem.

d_b 29 Nov 2020
In reply to Michael Hood:

I doubt anyone would put that in writing but it has been known to happen in the past and I'm a mean old cynic.

Almost certainly not true.

Post edited at 09:31
 FBSF 29 Nov 2020
In reply to d_b:

Unfortunately someone is going through the courts at this moment who was caught on camera doing exactly that last spring in this location....

TobyA 29 Nov 2020
In reply to FBSF:

> Unfortunately someone is going through the courts at this moment who was caught on camera doing exactly that last spring in this location....

Shouldn't that be "fortunately" then? As in he is getting done for it?

Richard J 29 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

About the redaction, I asked a friend who's on a planning committee (not PDNP), and he said it's routine to redact references to peregrine falcons in planning documents, because of the risk of them being stolen.  As, it seems, has already happened in this location.  They generally remove badger details too.

FBSF 29 Nov 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Jeez i think you know what i mean....

TobyA 29 Nov 2020
In reply to FBSF:

I thought I did, but I wasn't sure. I don't think many people are pro-raptor persecution, well not here anyway, but with the fox hunting discussion the other day, some people are of the "hanging's too good for them" persuasion, or in this case maybe the "slap on the wrists and smallish fine from the court is too good for them" persuasion.

johncook 01 Dec 2020
In reply to johncook:

They contractors were in Darlton again today. They were 'descaling a section of the south side, work which looks as though it may take a few days. The wall on the upper tier they are descaling looks as though some intrepid route setter could make some use of it. I am not sure if they are going to descale all the way to the quarry floor, but if they did, great potential for more new routes.

According to the man in charge, after a quick check of the plans and a look at where the routes were, the work should not affect the existing routes. He seemed surprised when I asked if the plan is to run a train off the end of a broken bridge into a 'river' (They are going to dig out some of the backfill and create a large pool) When asked where they were going to put the spoil as it would be a shame to damage the routes he said they intended to put it at the east end as they would need it to refill the hole afterwards. He asked me to wear a hard hat whilst in the quarry in case H & S came around. Also to not go too close to the work!

He also asked about ways to contact the climbing community (maybe to see if we were getting pissed off) about closures so I suggested this forum. 

Post edited at 18:48

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...