UKC

Gouther Crag bird Ban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian Hinkins 19 May 2023

Quick question as the RAD info for Gouther Crag in Swindale is a touch 'grey'. Is it currently bird banned or not?
It says 'Bird restrictions apply on these dates' does that mean the whole Crag or just certain Buttress's like in past years? 
FRCC says Update 24th April
A site visit to Gouther Crag in Swindale has been completed and there was no sign of any Peregrine Falcons so the Peregrine Boulder is open for business.
Wanting to climb Truss buttress and Kennel wall area.
Thanks.Truss Buttress (VD) Gouther Crags

Route Adjuster 19 May 2023
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

From what I understand the bird ban, historically, was always for North East buttress and Truss and Fang were usually OK.  I have been up a couple of times this year so far and have not heard or seen any signs of Peregrines, when they are around you can usually hear them if not see them.

In reply to Ian Hinkins:

There has already been a thread on this. The restriction only ever applied to the NE Buttress where the routes returned to their naturally completely overgrown state long ago and are no longer in the guidebook.There is some bouldering below the buttress so the site was checked a few weeks ago. No birds were found to be present so there is no restriction on any part of the crag or boulders.

As a general rule it is easier to find the most up to date information on the FRCC website (frcc.co.uk>climbing>bird restrictions) rather than the RAD as all the information for The Lakes is on a single page. I keep this page up to date as information comes in from site visits.

Post edited at 10:08
 Jon Read 19 May 2023
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

Link to FRCC page on bird restrictions: https://www.frcc.co.uk/bird-restrictions/

Team BMC 19 May 2023
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

I've amended the RAD. As Trevor says, there has been no nesting activity in the relevant areas this year.

OP Ian Hinkins 19 May 2023
In reply to Team BMC:

Brilliant that is much clearer thank you. 

OP Ian Hinkins 19 May 2023
In reply to Trevor Langhorne:

I did search but obviously missed the right words to get the old thread to come up. It's hard to know which of the 2 databases is correct when they seem to have conflicting info. Your FRCC page just said 1 boulder was open for business and I was unsure whether that ment the whole Crag was open. All sorted now with Team BMC updating the RAD and we had a lovely climb. Thanks 

In reply to Ian Hinkins:

Ian. Remember to check the full FRCC page not just the updates in order to get the full picture. I'm glad that you enjoyed your day out, Swindale is a lovely corner of The Lakes far removed from the crowds of Keswick or Ambleside.

Rog Wilko 20 May 2023
In reply to Ian Hinkins:

Kennel Wall - one of the best routes of its grade in the Lakes. When I first did it years ago it unbelievably was given only one star. 
also was undergraded - did it only get diff, or does memory fail?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...