UKC

Hidden Quarry, Stoney - nesting Ravens

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Kim 08 Mar 2021

There are Ravens nesting below the Main Wall at Hidden Quarry (formerly Darlton.... Please avoid all routes on the Main Wall and Lower Tier. This will likely become a Peregrine restriction too, and so will probably run until 30th June. I have updated the RAD https://www.thebmc.co.uk/modules/RAD/

This was a regular site for Raven in the past, but they had moved over to Darlton in recent years - however they may have been pushed back over by the film crew works which are currently happening next door.

Please also check the RAD for any other Peak limestone venues you visit over the next few weeks - Peregrine restrictions are coming in and I will keep it updated regularly.

Thanks,

Kim

BMC Access volunteer

TobyA 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Kim:

Thanks Kim. Good to know. So things are really happening in Dalton ready for Mr Cruise to make an appearance at some point then? 

Richard J 11 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

Yes, it all seems to be happening.  They got their planning permission, some site portaloos have been installed, and (as I passed by on my evening walk 30 mins ago) the 24 hour security are tucked up cosily in their transit vans.

TobyA 11 Mar 2021
In reply to Richard J:

Thanks for the local report Richard. With security there does that mean no access to Darlton at all this year then do you think?

Richard J 11 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

I think access looks like it might be difficult from now on, but I probably not all year, I think it'll all be finished in a couple of months.

Richard J 18 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

It's all moving ahead now.  They've got a big crane in and seem to be building some foundations for the broken bridge halfway up the face, and they've dug out the line of the railway track to the top of the quarry.  The moment when we see a 60 tonne locomotive plummet off the edge of one the Peak's least distinguished sports climbing locations is approaching!

(Assuming that they'll put a temporary closure on the bridleway through the quarries on safety grounds, I'm thinking the best viewpoint will probably be under the Triglyph or thereabouts).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...