UKC

Hoghton Quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy2 12 Jun 2017
The BMC RAD talks about access restrictions in 2016 due to concerns about tree safety, as well as birds. Can anyone guestimate what will happen in 2017? Will access be possible outside the bird nesting season?
Thanks
 Rob Dyer, BMC 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Andy2:

Hi Andy,

After a couple of years of negotiation around liability and nesting birds, we're currently in the process of agreeing a new licence for access with the De Hoghton Estate's solicitors. If all goes well there should be access this year, but I won't jinx it by promising dates etc. Keep an eye out on RAD for updates but hopefully climbers can get back into this awesome (and I don't use that word lightly) quarry soon.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (England)
OP Andy2 12 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Thanks Rob, and good luck!
 petegunn 12 Jun 2017

Hopefully your negotiations will be successful, there was quite a bit of work done a few years ago to clean up some of the outstanding routes and buttresses.
The 3 big E2s are three of the best climbs of their type in the country, stack Milstone 3 times over.
Superb : )

Looks like the rad has been updated recently but doesn't specifically say 2017. Can someone clarify? Is it on??
If so, well done and thanks to all involved!
 Rob Dyer, BMC 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

Hi there - just to confirm that the current RAD info is correct and access has been re-opened at Hoghton this year. Finger crossed for dry weather and plenty of opportunities to go and sample the delights of the place - it's a phenomenal venue.

For future reference, I often wont put dates on things like this as it's easy to forget to update entries and they can quickly look like they are out of date. There is however a 'last updated' date on the top right of each crag page though which will help confirm there has been a recent update, and anything on RAD is the most up to date info we have.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer
BMC Access & Conservation Officer (England)
 Owen W-G 03 Jul 2017

Super stuff Rob. Thinking of going on Thurs.

Any ideas what conditions are like at the mo?
 Rob Dyer, BMC 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Owen W-G:

Hi Owen - I can't help there I'm afraid, but I would imagine that given there has been a 2 year hiatus in climbing there that routes will probably need either a bit of a clean before getting on them or an adventurous mindset if not. Have a great time

Rob
 radddogg 03 Jul 2017
In reply to Andy2:

The LC&CC have a club meet there this Thursday. Forecast not looking great though...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...