UKC

Kestrels Nesting at Hobson Moor Quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Handsforfeet 18 May 2018

Came across a kestrel nest today whilst climbing at Hobson Moor. The nest is on Gideon so this part of the crag is best avoided until the chicks have fledged.

Andy Hardy 18 May 2018
In reply to Handsforfeet:

Amazing! They must be pretty tolerant of climbers!

mrphilipoldham 18 May 2018

I saw it flittering about yesterday whilst bouldering, a magical sight in the beautiful afternoon light. Even better knowing it's nesting! 

OP Handsforfeet 18 May 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

Hope they don't abandon the site as it's not the quietest of spots. We bailed as soon as we saw the nest.

Stig 18 May 2018
In reply to Handsforfeet: I was once on the back wall traverse and was a bit perturbed by a rustling below that turned out to be a mole. 

mrphilipoldham 21 May 2018

Looks like folk have been on Gideon over weekend, I wonder what they found!

OP Handsforfeet 21 May 2018
In reply to mrphilipoldham: There were four eggs in the nest when I was up there on Friday, but whatever they found I hope they're still there! I actually don't hold much hope out as that route, as you know, gets plenty of traffic. If the nesting pair keep getting disturbed they will probably desert the nest.

craig h 22 May 2018

I saw them last week and noticed someone has (lightly) scratched "owl" on the rock at the bottom of Gideon, obviously not a bird watcher.

A pair successfully nested on Monsoon about 15 years ago, it was great to look down on the nest from the top of Parkers. 

Post edited at 02:16
PaulWorsdale 09 Jun 2018
In reply to craig h:

Kestrels are still in Gideon today.  I saw a female feeding chick/s. Clearly not bothered by climbers or the locals????

mrphilipoldham 09 Jun 2018
In reply to PaulWorsdale:

...and plenty of people still seem to have climbed that route (somewhat disappointingly). Hope they make it to fledge!

craig h 11 Jun 2018

They are surprisingly adaptable, fair enough when they started nesting it had been wet for a long time so far less climbers as the crag.

Turned out to be a good blessing today there being climbers at the crag. I just popped in to boulder and see if they were still there and one of the chicks fell from the nest. A couple of climbers had just turned up too. 

After a brief chat they were more than happy for me to borrow a rope and harness to pop the chick back in the nest (just had bouldering kit). Pair of gloves and a camera bag to store the chick it was soon back in the nest.

Cheers guys for letting me borrow your gear. Quick snap on the way past, 3 chicks and parents were soon back to the nest.

https://flic.kr/p/283pNCU

Please still avoid Gideon, it's not an owl as written below the climb, but still great to see that climbing and wildlife are cohabiting a crag without too many issues. 

OP Handsforfeet 11 Jun 2018
In reply to craig h:

Thanks for sharing the picture. It was great to see the chicks that have hatched from the eggs I came across a few weeks ago. It's also good to know they are currently thriving. Well done on the rescue job.

mrphilipoldham 11 Jun 2018
In reply to craig h:

Bravo, Sir!

edit - picture doesn’t seem to be working

Post edited at 21:13
 craig h 11 Jun 2018

It's a poor photo as it was just a snap in passing, this link work better?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21913923@N03/42690467372/in/dateposted/

mrphilipoldham 11 Jun 2018
In reply to craig h:

It’s working again now for some reason.. cute!

Graham Boxall 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Handsforfeet: I don’t think there are any chicks left there now unfortunately. I was there watching them today (at a distance, not climbing) I found one chick on the path on the opposite side of the quarry from where the nest is and, as I was pointing the nest out to someone, a Kestrel flew out and a chick fell, the impact killed it. I stayed at the quarry for a another couple of hours and the Ketsrels didn’t return in that time. 

OP Handsforfeet 13 Jun 2018
In reply to Graham Boxall:

What a shame. Thanks for letting me know

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...