UKC

Next BMC NW Area Meeting, 9th June, Black Dog, Belmont

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The next BMC North West Area Meeting will be held at 19:30 on Monday 9 June 2014 at the Black Dog, Belmont.

As usual sandwiches and chips will be provided by the BMC so it should be a good night out.

Come along to our gathering of North West climbers and walkers, to discuss the latest issues and get involved in the work of the BMC. All are welcome.

The main topic to be discussed is the possible bolting of sections of Lester Mill and, maybe, Anglezarke. Since the last vote went narrowly against the use of bolts at Lester Mill, the quarry has been completely or almost completely ignored by trad climbers. Consequently the case for restraining bolting now seems much weaker because the only outcome of the last vote was the negative one of denying access by sport climbers rather than the positive one of preserving it for trad climbers. Discuss (stands well back).

NOTE: Those who handed in an email contact address at the last NWarea meeting will receive an email reminder nearer the time. If you did not provide details then but would like to receive meeting reminders by email you need to tell Nick Bond or Harold Walmsley (if you have our email contact details) or Tony Ryan via BMC website and let us know the email address the reminder should go to.
 Rob Davies 29 Apr 2014
In reply to harold walmsley:

Thank you, Harold.

I'm sure I can't be the only one who finds it easy to miss posts on UKC which look a wee bit boring. I think that more people would read the post if, rather than "BMC NW Area Meeting...", it had been titled:

Bolts at Anglezarke?

Better still as an attention-grabber would be:

BOLTS AT ANGLEZARKE! THE HORROR!!

Rob
 Pekkie 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Rob Davies:

It would be useful to know what areas they are talking about. Terra Cotta and Golden Tower areas - no way! Coal Measure area - maybe.
 wilkie14c 29 Apr 2014
In reply to Pekkie:

I think you can safely put your house on the fact that the NW BMC would never sanction bolts on those areas. If they go anywhere at zarke the'd be on coal measures crag. There has been a lower off cable there for years anyway.

I remember that last vote, and I'm willing to bet that not a single one of the fervent anti bolters ever went to Lester Mill afterwards to clean it up or climb there. The reactionary rubbish that was spouted by people opposed to the bolting was comical at certain points.

I think the world has moved on significantly (in only a few years) and that pragmatism will prevail. I'll be there on the night to support the idea.

FreshSlate 30 Apr 2014

You've explained Lester mill, which I don't have a strong opinion on but why Anglezarke?
 wilkie14c 30 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:
> (In reply to harold walmsley)
>
> You've explained Lester mill, which I don't have a strong opinion on but why Anglezarke?

Thats whats up for discusion at the meeting, the pro-bolters can take stage and air their proposals.

after the Denham dry tooling a few years back the stage was offered to any party that wanted to promote tooling in the lancs quarries, an open invitation was posted here on UKC for toolers to come along with venue proposals etc. Noboby from the tooling side of the sport turned up.
The NW BMC do great work and are forward thinking but you can lead a horse to water etc etc...
 FreshSlate 30 Apr 2014
Yeah, I understand. I was just wondering if there was a known reason: I.E the little traffic/overgrown nature as cited for Lester.
Post edited at 08:42
ChrisMaw 30 Apr 2014

Anyone got the post code of the black dog?

ta
 efrance24234 30 Apr 2014
In reply to ChrisMaw: yep its go1 og4 le7.
And its the first result that comes up

robin mueller 30 Apr 2014
In reply to FreshSlate:

> Yeah, I understand. I was just wondering if there was a known reason: I.E the little traffic/overgrown nature as cited for Lester.

I think at the last area meeting someone might have suggested bolt lower offs for the coal measure area. Perhaps this is the proposal?
 FreshSlate 30 Apr 2014
In reply to robin mueller:

Cheers, thanks for the info.
In reply to FreshSlate:

Please note that I am the area secretary not the originator of the topics so I don't always know the details, I merely post on what is to be discussed. However I believe that the Anglezarke proposal is, as stated elsewhere, for the top of coal measure crag because the previous solution is not (I don't climb there myself these days), apparently, a great success.
In reply to ChrisMaw:

The postcode of the venue is always given on the official posting on the BMC community site.

In this case (and most others) it can also be found by Googling the name of the venue. It is BL7 8AB.
 Tom Green 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

How much money are you willing to bet?
astley007 30 Apr 2014
In reply to Tom Green:

Good to see that the debate is starting here. The issue of replacing fixed gear is around evil wall at Lester Mill, and coal measure at Anglezarke, and the Area meeting is open to any Sensible debate.
Hope to see you all there
Dont forget the Ousels nest clean up date Sat 10th May, hope to see some of you there?
Cheers
Nick B
BMC NW Area Chair
In reply to Tom Green: That the climbing world has moved on? I'd put a pound on it young man.

Tom Green 02 May 2014
In reply to Frank the Husky:

"I'm willing to bet that not a single one of the fervent anti bolters ever went to Lester Mill afterwards to clean it up or climb there."

Just wondered if I stand to win much money? Although it may count as insider trading?!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...