UKC

Northumberland (Cold Law) Planning Application

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si Litchfield 21 Jun 2019

Cold Law

Great Wanney

The BMC North East Area is seeking the views of North East hillwalkers and climbers after a local landowner submitted plans to Northumberland County Council, to erect a 55m-high structure dedicated to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and the Commonwealth on Cold Law (close to Great Wanney).  https://www.elizabethlandmark.co.uk

Northumberland County Council’s Strategic Planning Committee turned down the proposal by 8 votes to 6 at its meeting on Tuesday, 4 June. However, it immediately deferred the decision pending a site visit by councillors. They will visit the site before the next meeting on Tuesday, 2 July, again at County Hall when they will vote on the proposal again.

Consultation has been limited thus far and your views are sought BEFORE 2 July so that they can be presented to the planning committee.  Comments can be made directly to the local planning authority: https://www.northumberland.gov.uk/Planning/Planning-and-building.aspx?fbcli... or via the local area group: https://www.facebook.com/205873816203433/posts/1120026291454843?s=516665295...

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum: it will affect many users of wild Northumberland.

Jon Greengrass 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Si Litchfield:

An appalling vanity project, what a dick.

Lemony 21 Jun 2019

I’m a bit torn on this one I can’t object to it as despoiling “wild Northumberland” on the grounds that the landscape north of Great Wanney is entirely artificial, with monoculture forest and blasted heathland giving way to sheep grazing and quarries by way of wind turbines and a couple of transmission masts. It is however a spectacular spot and worth protecting for that*. Would this present a significant change in the landscape? I’m not convinced it would tbh, it’s far enough away from the crag that it’s only really its visual intrusion I’d consider and that seems to me to be inline with other development in the area.

My main objection is that it’s an embarrassingly unimaginative piece of art. In a region which knows more than most about the value which good public art can provide they’ve come up with something that looks like a B&Q garden ornament. The idea that it references local industry seems weird to me when it’s located in one of the few spots in that valley where I’m not aware of any particular industrial remains, I suppose the railway cutting is just down the hill. The local industry was mining and smelting rather than fabrication so focus on that, not on making The Angel of the North’s loofah.

I’m also not a royalist so the dedication puts my back up a bit.

Not sure I can write a planning objection on the grounds that it’s derivative shite though.

*For the record I have a painting of (more or less) that view hanging above the fireplace in my living room so it’s an area I have a more than passing love of.

Post edited at 09:12
 SteveSBlake 21 Jun 2019

The 'sculpture' is 55m high and about 2km north of Great Wanney, it's wholly inappropriate and will add nothing to the landscape - The turbines are peripheral to the view and at least we get electricity from them.  It's little more than a hideous vanity project. The consultation process has been bizarre, it seems Parish boundaries have dictated that the 'consultation' was focussed on Kirkwhelpington which is 8km away, rather than Ridsdale and West Woodburn (2km).

Please take the time to think about this, have a look and if it offends you then follow the links posted by Simon and object.

Regards,

Steve

althesin 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Jon Greengrass:

Bagsey FA, Sex Pistol ?

Do you think Viscount Devonport might be compensating for something?

Oceanrower 21 Jun 2019

I quite like it. What grade do you think it'll get?

Will Hunt 21 Jun 2019

I'm not opposed to public sculpture per se, but it looks like shite.

althesin 21 Jun 2019
In reply to Oceanrower:

HVD?

Ramblin dave 21 Jun 2019

Sounds like the beginning of a slippery slope, to be honest. I mean, a 55m tall statue seems pretty unobtrusive in itself, but what if someone saw it and thought that that meant it was okay to set up a bolted ab station?

In reply to Will Hunt:

It looks like that big climbing wall in the Netherlands!

Root1 22 Jun 2019

FFS! Lets just concrete over the whole of Northumberland and get it over and done with.

Grrr!

full stottie 23 Jun 2019

Here's an extract from the Northumberland Landscape Character Assessment 2010 for this part of the country: "The visual importance of this area within views from across northern Northumberland suggests that it is a landscape to be protected. It forms an important part of the setting of Northumberland National Park, both in distant views, and along access routes such as the Harthope valley which leads to the ascent of The Cheviot." and its key qualities "Visual relationship to the Cheviot Hills, and to the lower hills to the east; Open, rounded hills; Distinctive rectilinear pattern of hedgerow trees on lower slopes; Extensive evidence of historic settlement”

And most important, the management of this Cheviot Fringe "Seek to steer tourism-related development away from locations which are visually prominent, particularly when viewed from surrounding higher land. Protect the open nature of these hills and their relationship with the Cheviots. Discourage development which may affect views from within or towards the Northumberland National Park.

Yet the planning application was only defeated by 2 votes, now subject to a site visit after appeal. Northumberland National Park, Historic England and the Tourist Board have said No objections, don't know about Natural England yet, but who IS going to protect our countryside against a landowner's whim?

Lemony 23 Jun 2019
In reply to full stottie: I've replied on facebook but I'm fairly sure you've misidentified the location on the (admittedly piss poor) map in those docs.

Looking in these docs I'd say we're either talking about 20b Bellingham and Woodburn Valley or 8b Sweethope and Blackdown, neither of which are cheviot fringe. Their vision statement for this area is:

"The underlying aim here should be to conserve the existing diversity of land use and at the same time reverse the current decline in landscape quality. There is scope for improved management and new planting of native woodlands. This area is well placed to accommodate visitors to the popular tourist destinations of Alnwick and the Northumberland National Park."

Post edited at 18:38

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...