UKC

Parbold quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Thomas 31 Jul 2012
Do people still climb at Parbold quarry? I was walking past it about a week ago and saw a huge amount of rubbish dumped there, probably from a group of 'folks' partying and camping overnight. Have climbers got access to the place still? Is it possible to organise a 'clean up'? I don't mimd helping out; rubber gloves will be needed- some of the detritus looked 'man-made'.
 Jay C 31 Jul 2012
In reply to Martin Thomas: Just been there today and have started cleaning up one of the routes and was shocked with the amount of rubbish left there. I would be willing to help out and would be interested to know if anyone else still climbs there?
OP Martin Thomas 31 Jul 2012
In reply: I will go down there over the next few days and fill a black bag with rubbish. The crag was soaking when I was there, so I don't imagine it has seen a lot of traffic this season. I have done a lot of the routes a long time ago; interested to see a bit of bouldering there. I might take my boots the next time I'm out on a family walk, assuming it has dried out and cleaned up a bit. Regarding access: I always wondered what the situation was, because in the old days we were always told to be very discreet, the assumption being that the crag belonged to the house beneath the quarry and the owners were not at all keen on climbing taking place there. It'd be a real shame if the place became a rubbish tip and/or party quarry for camping youths.
 Jon Wickham 03 Aug 2012
In reply to Martin Thomas: The new BMC Cheshire and Merseyside guide is out in September and will include Parbold, so hopefully the crag will see more traffic, and clarify any access issues.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...