UKC

Parking changes for Shepherd's Crag and Cathedral

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Kettle 13 Oct 2020

Sadly, parking at the farm is no longer allowed for Shepherd's crag in Borrowdale. Also the various parking spots for Cathedral Quarry in Little Langdale by the ford at the end of the Stang End road have all been blocked off with rubble and boulders. Nearest parking is now over the ford in the village (limited space), or at Hodge Close. 

Post edited at 21:30
 petegunn 13 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Hi John,

How recent is the shepherds car park changes? There were 3/4 places available with 3 allocated signs for the residents when we were there a few weeks ago? 

OP John Kettle 14 Oct 2020
In reply to petegunn:

Hi Pete, It was in place on Monday, and is a permanent change apparently. 

Howard J 14 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

What are the parking options for Shepherd's Crag now?  The National Trust car parks are quite small and seem to fill up quickly.

MarkAstley 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Howard J:

Keswick and then the Borrowdale bus??

Mark

Bob Bennett 14 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Shepherds crag is one of the most popular crags in the Lake District. Rock climbing is a major sport in the area. We have extensive expansion of the nearby Lodore Hotel, who have obviously increased  the capacity for car parking. National Parks were created  for the enjoyment and recreation of the general public so why cant we have provision for climbers cars near to the crag? No ,we dont want to turn the lake district into a huge car park, but surely now that the influx of visitors has increased due to "staycations" a total rethink is needed on parking policy. Back in the 1970`s, roadside parking at Shepherds was banned and it was only because of the good nature of farmer Andrew Weir that climbers were allowed to park at the farm. Why not provide a constructed car park across the road from the crag allowing climbers to park ,charges included . 

Wimlands 14 Oct 2020
In reply to MarkAstley:

We’ve caught the launch from Keswick to climb at Shepherds and thought it great way to get there...😀

Post edited at 21:18
 Mark Eddy 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Howard J:

Bowderstone NT car park. Although, the launch from Keswick sounds pretty nice.

Arms Cliff 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Eddy:

> Bowderstone NT car park. Although, the launch from Keswick sounds pretty nice.

Wouldn’t that be a couple of km along the road? Might as well walk into a mountain crag 😄

Red Rover 14 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Bennett:

The UK must be the only country that is desperate to get as many people as possible into the national parks but doesn't provide the with parking, transport or toilets.

In reply to Bob Bennett:

We only have ourselves to blame for the removal of the Shepherds parking. 

Shepherds used to be the default after work crag and the cafe the default meeting place for evening climbing in Borrowdale. The rush to the rather dubious new comer and decline in traffic at Shepherd's lead to the cafe closing earlier due to lack of demand. 

The farm added an honesty box in an attempt to recoup something from their goodwill over the years, these are generally treated with disdain, as I suspect we're the reserved spaces. 

Loss of parking here saddens me but as above, we only have ourselves to blame. 

In reply to John Kettle:

The parking restrictions by Tilberthwaite Ford were intended to be temporary. It will be interesting to see just how temporary. 

As temporary as the restrictions by Black Crag? 

Lankyman 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> The parking restrictions by Tilberthwaite Ford were intended to be temporary. It will be interesting to see just how temporary. 

> As temporary as the restrictions by Black Crag? 

I suspect this may be the backlash against the wave of irresponsible camping and rubbish left by visitors after the lockdown at nearby Hodge Close.

Qwerty2019 15 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

I find the parking situation within the Lake District to be shocking.  Joe public, and that includes climbers will do anything they can to avoid paying for parking.  So whats the point in providing more parking?  Farms providing facilities and get taken advantage of, honesty boxes ignored etc.  Dumping vehicles left right and centre in passing places.  More often than not they dont even care if its blocking the road.  It needs addressed.

I park at the Bowderstone car park using my NT pass.  It costs me about £50 per year and paid for itself over the summer months alone using a variety of carparks.  I dont think i have witnessed more than a couple of cars in the Bowderstone car park.  Never witnessed anyone with bouldering pads coming or going.  Very often see climbers parking at the bottom of the entrance though just to avoid a few quid.

If i had any input, i would target the lake district for bad parking and ticket the lot of them.  Not just the odd occassion to make a point.  All the time.  In the current covid situation the lakes has been one disaster after another with regards to parking.  They could have financed so many useful parking enterprises with the funds raised.

How can we ask for more parking when we avoid using the parking that is already provided.  Or do you mean you want free parking?  I would prefer to pay for it in exchange for being able to drive along without trying to avoid idiots cars blocking the road to avoid paying a few quid.

Reply isnt to you John, just parking in the lakes in general

Post edited at 11:04
 Babika 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

Well said. 

'm also happy to pay for more parking.

Or a regular and reasonably priced bus. I've used the £2 Snowdon bus loads of times and would happily use on in Borrowdale if it ran early/ late enough

callwild 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Bob Bennett:

the farmer was Martin Weir. Who also looked after climbers during Foot & Mouth by allowing climbing on Shepherds.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020

> The farm added an honesty box in an attempt to recoup something from their goodwill over the years, these are generally treated with disdain, as I suspect we're the reserved spaces.  

I don't understand people ignoring honesty boxes vs the real charge of parking in a FC/NP/NT one, we always put some cash in them, its just the right thing to do isn't it, whya re they treated with disdain ?

Unfortunately there are a lot of tossers out there who don't know right from wrong.

afx22 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I agree but as we move towards a cashless society, we need a better solution than honesty boxes.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

I just have a bag full of change in the car, but that's me.

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I don't understand people ignoring honesty boxes vs the real charge of parking in a FC/NP/NT one, we always put some cash in them, its just the right thing to do isn't it, whya re they treated with disdain ?

I just pretty much never have any cash on me or in the car is the issue. If I know there is an honesty box in advance, I'll get some cash out but most of the time that is not the case.

If it were me, I'd remove this excuse by adding a paypal account email address. I'd personally transfer to it straight away.

Post edited at 13:19
 Qwerty2019 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Does paypal work if there is no internet signal.  No cash, go home.  Trouble is people just resort to dumping their cars.  All as bad as each other.  No excuse.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> I just pretty much never have any cash on me or in the car is the issue. 

Just put some in the car, its not difficult, cash still exists.

afx22 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I try to keep cash in the car for that very purpose, however when I run out, I have to specifically go to a cash machine, draw some out, go to a shop and get it changed.  It’s a pain in the butt for those of use that no longer use cash.

I appreciate that some people prefer using cash and I’m fine with that.

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

And if I go home, they don't get the money that I would have donated, do you see this as a win in any way shape or form for anyone involved?

Meddins 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Red Rover:

Or bins 

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

This is potentially because I am a decade younger than you, but cash has not existed in my life for the best part of two decades.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> This is potentially because I am a decade younger than you, but cash has not existed in my life for the best part of two decades.

But it still does exist and you are still allowed to use it and NEED to use it sometimes, like for parking

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

You hardly ever *need* it these days. There is a decreasing number of car parks these days that require cash. Plantation, High Tor (Matlock Bath) and the non-NT car park at Greater Langdale come to mind. For example, Surprise View has already been upgraded, as have the car parks at Portland and every National Trust car park. The sooner none of them *require* cash the better.

These is a vicious circle here, where it is actually difficult to reliably pay for parking at some places, so revenue is down, so it is seen as not worthwhile to upgrade the payment facilities, which would increase revenue.

So, while I do get when you are coming from, you are not going to get me to accept this as a situation that should remain as it is: It should not. You should understand that for the younger generations cash is seen as an annoyance.

probablylost 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

It's not just having cash in general, it's having coins. If you could stick a tenner in and get change back I wouldn't mind. Car parks in the lakes aren't cheap and if you go for a few days it's a real pain.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

I'm sure we will get to totally contactless at some point but until then its going to be cash, so you either pay it and park or you don't, pretty simple really.

I will continue to feed the meter where it asks for cash, you moan about it not being contactless on behalf of the "younger generations"

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Or you go to another car park that does accept card and the car park you are referring to does not get the revenue. The only loss there is to the car park that does not get my money. Obviously not always possible and let's be honest, I will go get some cash out when there is no other option, but the point stands. If we take the Langdale example, I could part at the NT* car park and pay by card or go to the other car park and have to scramble for coins. Which of those two options do you see as more appealing, even though the second car park is cheaper (or was at least time I was there a couple of years ago)? As a result, which car park ends up with more revenue?

* Artificial example as I'm a member, but there have been cases where I'm driving, say, a minibus and the card is in my own car.

Post edited at 15:53
 Monk 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I'm genuinely interested in where you get coins from. Now that most shops are trying not to handle cash, I don't have any. 

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Monk:

I have built up a huge stash over my years on the planet.

Dark-Cloud 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

I would park in the farmers field that's open near the NDG in summer or the cheapest one after that, which I'm guessing is the ODG.

Post edited at 16:14
 afx22 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I don’t know what percentage of people do and don’t use cash but I do know which way it is going.

I wouldn’t want to marginalise those that prefer to use cash but we are, without doubt, well into a transitional phase and car parks need to keep up (as some are).

ps. I wonder about beggars.  How are they going to operate?

C Witter 15 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Can the BMC intervene here? E.g. negotiate access to parking? Or, even pay a little for it? (What do all our subs go on...)

Separately but relatedly, the eyesore carparking outside the Lodore Hotel is a disgrace. Not simply because it's poorly designed and placed, but also because such an eyesore has been put in for the exclusive use of the wealthy.

It's a ridiculous situation...

By the by, typical UKC that people turn this into a moralised debate about the virtues of carrying cash...

Post edited at 16:40
 Dax H 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Monk:

> I'm genuinely interested in where you get coins from. Now that most shops are trying not to handle cash, I don't have any. 

There is this thing called a bank, its like a shop but they deal in money. 

I use cashless almost exclusively now, it is very handy and I find my money goes further because I'm not breaking the 2x £20s and 1x £10 that I always have in my wallet. 

About once a year I nip in to a bank and get £50 worth of £1, 50p and 20p coins, leave a few in the van, in the Mrs car and in my bike jacket and the Mrs snaffled some for her coin purse. 

This pays for the years parking and pay toilets. 

Cashless is great but it's always worth having a few quid on you, last year part of the banking network went down and the lad that was working with me was unable to buy his lunch because his card didn't work, neither did mine but the £20 note I had fed and watered us both for a couple of days until things were running again. 

Luke90 15 Oct 2020
In reply to probablylost:

> It's not just having cash in general, it's having coins. If you could stick a tenner in and get change back I wouldn't mind. Car parks in the lakes aren't cheap and if you go for a few days it's a real pain.

This. Parking machines only accepting coins made sense back when technology made it the only reasonable option and parking charges still topped out at a few quid. Now that parking for a day in lots of places will cost you well over a fiver, keeping enough change to hand is a real pain. I've sometimes had to visit the bank just to withdraw a bag of pound coins, which is really irritating.

Qwerty2019 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Who wins if you dont pay for your parking when there is an honesty box?  All you end up doing is antagonising the farmer who provides it or dumping your car on a verge and annoy him even more.  Who wins then when he removes the facility to park which is the point of the whole thread.

My kids pay for stuff with their watches.  My wife pays for stuff with her phone.  I use a card.  I understand a cashless society.  I asked you how you expect to pay by paypal in places where there is no internet signal. 

My son passed his driving test recently and i put a load of £1 coins in his glove box for this reason.  Its not difficult is it.

Route Adjuster 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> You hardly ever *need* it these days. There is a decreasing number of car parks these days that require cash. Plantation, High Tor (Matlock Bath) and the non-NT car park at Greater Langdale come to mind. For example, Surprise View has already been upgraded, as have the car parks at Portland and every National Trust car park. The sooner none of them *require* cash the better.

> These is a vicious circle here, where it is actually difficult to reliably pay for parking at some places, so revenue is down, so it is seen as not worthwhile to upgrade the payment facilities, which would increase revenue.

> So, while I do get when you are coming from, you are not going to get me to accept this as a situation that should remain as it is: It should not. You should understand that for the younger generations cash is seen as an annoyance.

Surprise view could make an interesting choice of parking for Shepherds Crag, park up, pay by card then abseil down the crag to get access to the road and then a short walk to Shepherds. Much easier walk than from the Bowderstone car park and fun too!  

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> Who wins if you dont pay for your parking when there is an honesty box?  All you end up doing is antagonising the farmer who provides it or dumping your car on a verge and annoy him even more.  Who wins then when he removes the facility to park which is the point of the whole thread.

Just to clear something up, last time I climbed at Shepherds the cafe was still open and I gave them my custom before and after climbing. Their eggs on toast hit the spot alright. I'm pretty sure there was no honesty box back then.

> I asked you how you expect to pay by paypal in places where there is no internet signal. 

I will admit that there isn't a good answer there really, but what I have done in the past is find some signal. Yes, obviously there are places that have none but in general you usually don't have to go far.

The area in question here does have signal, although I understand that the discussion ranges well beyond this.

On a different but related vein, the last two parking "epics" I had involved broken machines. One of them was the pay and display down the road from Pen-y-Pass, where we even tried calling them and ended up leaving a bag of coins on the windscreen.

Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Route Adjuster:

It would be a great walk! Not sure it'd work out without overnight stay at the car park though!

Andy Long 15 Oct 2020

> The rush to the rather dubious new comer

What would this be? Sorry, I used to climb on Shepherd's an awful lot in my youth but now live a 250 mile drive plus 12hr ferry trip away, so I'm out of touch.

sbc23 15 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

You can park at the NT Kettlewell Car Park, north of Shepherds. There is an off-road footpath most of the way hidden behind the wall, just a short section on the road past the hotel, then a gap in the wall that joins the path up to Brown Slabs. It's about 1km and takes 10min. Half the distance to the Bowderstone car park. 

The only problem I've had there is the NT salesman looking disappointed that I was already a member and took the last spot on a busy day.

Monk 15 Oct 2020
In reply to sbc23:

This is where I tend to park for Shepherds, but does fill up fast on a nice day at a weekend. It's a really nice walk in, especially when the wild garlic is out.

In reply to Andy Long:

Trust me, you don't want to know. Suffice to say the most popular crag in the lake district is located above a scrapyard.

(bram crag Quarry) 

Tyler 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> but the point stands

You've lost me then because I thought your point was that you never carry cash because its not needed. Since then you've written several long winded posts outlining situations where you do need cash and outlining the lengths you go to get you out of the situation of having no cash when it is needed!

Bob Bennett 15 Oct 2020
In reply to callwild:

Very sorry for the wrong name, Martin Weir was a truly nice guy

Wimlands 15 Oct 2020
In reply to sbc23:

You can also park at Manesty and walk across...only space for 3 cars but a lovely way to get to the crag as it’s in full view as you stroll across.

Not sure why the farmer can’t simply set up a payment system for the 3/4 spaces he has available? Wouldn’t this be the easiest solution for all.

Ridge 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

> Not sure why the farmer can’t simply set up a payment system for the 3/4 spaces he has available? Wouldn’t this be the easiest solution for all.

Probably more hassle to him than its worth. How does he enforce it for a start?

Wimlands 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Well I guess you’re right since they’re not doing it. But a back of the fag packet calculation would give £5,000 income a year. So they just need a cheap tap and pay credit card set up. Is this feasible?

i guess it’s not economic.

Post edited at 21:49
 Alkis 15 Oct 2020
In reply to Tyler:

It's simple: I generally carry no cash and I argue that I shouldn't have to carry cash. In all honesty Sans Plan is right, there are a few cases where cash is required. Our disagreement is that I feel rather strongly that it should both not be required and that if it were not required the car parks would be getting more revenue because I am not in any way shape or form unique on not *generally* carrying cash.

If I have been tipped off that where I am going there is no other way to pay and there is no alternative, I'm not gonna be a scrounger, I'll find some way to get some, although it is increasingly difficult to get coins to start with.

You are right too, I do tend to ramble on sometimes.

Post edited at 23:26
 Mij 16 Oct 2020
In reply to John Kettle:

Thanks for this information and update John. Good to see some sensible alternatives suggested by folks . We are looking to have a meeting with the owners in the near future as  BMC representatives to see if there is any way forwards. I will also get an update posted on the BMC RAD, and the FRCC website as well.

Cheers

James Bumby

Cobra_Head 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Wimlands:

> We’ve caught the launch from Keswick to climb at Shepherds and thought it great way to get there...😀

Did the launch include lunch?

chris_r 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> Did the launch include lunch?

It's hard to eat lunch on a lurching launch.

HardenClimber 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

lunch is a subset of launch....

In reply to Mij:

> We are looking to have a meeting with the owners in the near future as  BMC representatives to see if there is any way forwards. I will also get an update posted on the BMC RAD, and the FRCC website as well.

It was always policy to give Martin Weir RIP top man, a bottle of whisky regularly from the local climbing clubs as a thank you for his generosity and the way he avoided corporatisation and unnecessary rules/regulation. We also spent money in the cafe of course. Hopefully the current owner will continue to follow Martin's lead and look after the local climbers in particular.

DC

OP John Kettle 16 Oct 2020

Thanks James for taking a lead on this. Other factors that have come to light since I last posted:

Vans have been overnight camping in the farm's parking

One of the B&B guests had their car reversed into by a parking climber

r0b 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

Go to cash machine. Get cash. Buy something with one of your newly acquired notes, like a beer or a coffee or a mars bar. Get change. Keep change for parking.

Alkis 16 Oct 2020
In reply to r0b:

Now do that at 7AM on a weekend, in a village with a shop that doesn't open until 9-10, considering the constant decline in number of cash machines around outside cities. And also consider that a lot of the smaller shops rather dislike losing all their change and will still give you, say, a fiver and four one pound coins and parking costs six quid and only takes coins. It's all rather archaic, isn't it?

Cobra_Head 16 Oct 2020
In reply to chris_r:

> It's hard to eat lunch on a lurching launch.

You could always eat lunch on the landing before boarding the lurching launch.

A Pre-launch, landing lunch.

Lankyman 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

> Now do that at 7AM on a weekend, in a village with a shop that doesn't open until 9-10, considering the constant decline in number of cash machines around outside cities. And also consider that a lot of the smaller shops rather dislike losing all their change and will still give you, say, a fiver and four one pound coins and parking costs six quid and only takes coins. It's all rather archaic, isn't it?

Go midweek. Honestly. It's not rocket science.

Cobra_Head 16 Oct 2020
In reply to HardenClimber:

> lunch is a subset of launch....

Call out the Uhlan

Lankyman 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

> You could always eat lunch on the landing before boarding the lurching launch.

> A Pre-launch, landing lunch.

And that's how the climbers come down to Lodore.

mike123 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Thread : not usually known for being ovetly politically correct, but point of order ,  the farmer isn't a " he" . 

Removed User 16 Oct 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

Best reply so far, Brilliant. I wonder how many on here understand that pun.

The problem with Lake District parking is the rip-off charges. Up to 4 hours is a little expensive, but over that is extortionate. Those in charge know exactly what they're doing. A full day on the crag or the hill is obviously more than 4 hours, so they take advantage of making it look 'cheap(er)' for less hours, then grab the cash from those they know will be out for longer, i.e. the majority. Is it any wonder people look to park for free?

I happily contribute to an honesty box, as they are always reasonably priced, at least all the ones I've seen. The LDNPA and the NT need to stop being so greedy. So many people I've met in the Lakes say the same. I regard both LDNPA and NT with contempt, as do most people I know and associate with.

In reply to John Kettle:

> Vans have been overnight camping in the farm's parking

That can't have been a comfortable night's sleep there is no level ground. Entitled idiots, shame on them. 

I won't be the only one here, this closure inconveniences me greatly. Shepherd's is/was my go to crag for a quick hours soloing/shunting and a coffee. 

Well done, van life is so cool, bet you didn't instagram photos of the scrap metal and slurry store that you slept next to. Pricks. 

Cobra_Head 17 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

> not usually known for being ovetly politically correct, but point of order ,  the farmer isn't a " he" . 

She hasn't always been?

Arms Cliff 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Removed User:

I guess the NT charges are aimed at making the £6.50/month membership look good value, which it does compared to £8/day for parking or whatever it is now. 

climbingpixie 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> I asked you how you expect to pay by paypal in places where there is no internet signal. 

Wouldn't you just do it later on, when you got home or somewhere else that you had some signal? We're talking about it in the context of an honesty box where you're not going to get a fine if you don't do it immediately. I'd love it if places with honesty boxes gave me a PayPal option rather than me having to faff around getting cash out and then getting change, especially during covid times!

J1234 17 Oct 2020
In reply to Alkis:

>  I argue that I shouldn't have to carry cash. 

>

Why, are you the Queen?

The FRCC 18 Oct 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

Long live cash - we must not get dragged into a cashless world.  

I hope they stop parking all together near Cathedral Quarry - I have only driver along there once and decided never again.  There is perfectly good parking at Tilberthwaite and a pleasant walk along to Cathedral.  I was there on Wednesday (going to Runestone) and group from Army heading to Cathedral Quarry from Tilberthwaite, which makes a good trip out and enjoy the area - not a quick fix !!

The situation at Shepherds has changed over time - I used to catch a bus from Penrith to Keswick then up the valley to climb there - but that was in the 1960's  -  but why not again - or boat from Keswick.  

Seriously though - we looking the situation overall for Shepherds.

NT membership is a great way of getting "free" parking but even so a few quid for a carfull or even two is sod all  -  and helps contribute to NT looking after the area (especially at the moment.

mike123 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head: odd reply, are you 12 ? My 13 year old got this , not really obscure riddle : 

"A father and son have a car accident and are both badly hurt. They are both taken to separate hospitals. When the boy is taken in for an operation, the doctor  says 'I can not do the surgery because this is my son'. How is this possible" 

I'm fairly sure the farmer in question doesn't  look at ukc , however , if she did , its not going to help matters being continually mis gendered is it ? ( I'm not sure mis gendered is a thing . But if it isn't it could be. ) 

afx22 20 Oct 2020
In reply to The FRCC:

> NT membership is a great way of getting "free" parking but even so a few quid for a carfull or even two is sod all  -  and helps contribute to NT looking after the area (especially at the moment.

Car sharing isn’t really an option right now is it?

Alkis 20 Oct 2020
In reply to J1234:

Yes.

J1234 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

Just read your profile and that you are into coffeeing, have you read about Millican Dalton, he was into coffeeing, on the fells above Lodore and maybe at Shepherds even.

Cobra_Head 20 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

> I'm fairly sure the farmer in question doesn't  look at ukc , however , if she did , its not going to help matters being continually mis gendered is it ? ( I'm not sure mis gendered is a thing . But if it isn't it could be. ) 

Are you sure she always been a woman?

Besides that, if she was one UKC, I'd hope she might have a sense on humour, most people have.

Ridge 20 Oct 2020
In reply to J1234:

> Just read your profile and that you are into coffeeing, have you read about Millican Dalton, he was into coffeeing, on the fells above Lodore and maybe at Shepherds even.

Should I google "coffeeing" at work?

J1234 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Not sure, I assumed it means making coffee, but I can be naive, let me know how it goes.

Ridge 20 Oct 2020
In reply to J1234:

> Not sure, I assumed it means making coffee, but I can be naive, let me know how it goes.

Strangely it actually refers to having coffee!

FactorXXX 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> Strangely it actually refers to having coffee!

How boring as I was rather thinking it might be a caffeine induced enema. 

mike123 20 Oct 2020
In reply to J1234THE ART OF GOOD COFFEE

"Millican Dalton was a fan of good coffee. Upon his 50th ascent of Napes Needle, he carried a pile of sticks to the summit, set a small fire, brewed some coffee and gazed out – free in the moment ."

i have indeed done just this in homage to the, ahem, great man . Well almost , cheated a bit  used a kelly kettle and always regretted it. Cheating that is . As for a coffee enema , always open to new experiences. 

Post edited at 22:03
 Lankyman 21 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

> In reply to SteveXTHE ART OF GOOD COFFEE

> "Millican Dalton was a fan of good coffee. Upon his 50th ascent of Napes Needle, he carried a pile of sticks to the summit, set a small fire, brewed some coffee and gazed out – free in the moment ."

> i have indeed done just this in homage to the, ahem, great man . Well almost , cheated a bit  used a kelly kettle and always regretted it. Cheating that is . As for a coffee enema , always open to new experiences. 

Lighting an open fire on top of an iconic mountain feature is just environmental vandalism and highly irresponsible. A coffee enema on the other hand, harms no-one and I would certainly encourage anyone thinking about Napes Needle as a venue to go ahead. I'll even volunteer to put the pictures out on social media.

wercat 21 Oct 2020
In reply to mike123:

hopefully you did not also pay homage to his reputation for smelling extremely strongly too!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...