UKC

Peak district parking problems

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FBSF 31 Dec 2019

Yesterday police had to attend the Curbar Gap car park and surrounding areas due to the sheer volume of people trying to park/parking inconsiderately. It was chaos, single file all the way past with cars nearly all the way down to the crossroads at the Gardoms end. It ended up at one stage as grid lock.  Few climbers but majority walkers etc, Worth bearing in mind if your planning a visit. Also Stanage popular end was packed yesterday, again parking down the hill reducing it to single file. 

First time the suns been out in months so no wonder everyone came out but remember park considerately and if its too busy go to another crag!

Andypeak 31 Dec 2019
In reply to FBSF:

Roaches was the same and the traffic warden was having a field day. Probably over 100 tickets issued to people who were parked like idiots. 

yorkshire_lad2 31 Dec 2019
In reply to FBSF:

I was out around walking Monsal then Chatsworth/Bakewell/Baslow areas yesterday (Mon) too.  I commented to SWMBO that it was like a Bank Holiday Saturday for traffic .... with temperatures to match (11 degrees).

Coel Hellier 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

> ... tickets issued to people who were parked like idiots. 

Do you mean "... parked like people with nowhere else to park"? 

TobyA 31 Dec 2019
In reply to FBSF:

At Stanage was the plantation car park full? Or like normal, were there a few cars in there and everyone parking on the verge outside?

OP FBSF 31 Dec 2019
In reply to TobyA:

it seemed to be full, I was only going past, lots parked on verges as well

lurcher 31 Dec 2019
In reply to TobyA:

I didn't see the plantation car park tho I suspect verges rammed, as usual.  Its a problem thats becoming worse i.e there are more days in a year when its rammed like this.

I actually bought a parking permit for the peak park car parks back in May and I had a grumble about the verge/car park empty issue at the plantation. I was told they were going to start enforcing the payment but I don't think they have. 

I explained that the verges were getting trashed and the person I spoke to said  'thats not the peak parks problem , we're only interested in the car park revenue'    which is a piss poor response obviously.

I think the ' its busy go somewhere else solution' wont ever work, climbers or no., Only way is to limit the verge parking at Stanage and other areas and enforce parking only in designated areas.  Would be quieter!  Its a shame e.g Hathersage hasn't got a huge edge of village car park area otherwise a Stanage loop bus could probably work in holiday periods, bit like the Ladybower one.

marsbar 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Andypeak:

There is a bus to the 3 horseshoes.  It's not particularly frequent but if anyone wants to look it up it's the 16.  

deepsoup 31 Dec 2019
In reply to TobyA:

> At Stanage was the plantation car park full? Or like normal, were there a few cars in there and everyone parking on the verge outside?

I was up at Curbar Gap the weekend before Christmas and it was a bit like that (not nearly as bad as yesterday by the sound of it).  Cars parked on the verges causing a bit of an obstruction, but plenty of space in the car park itself.  Then when I went to shovel a couple of quid into the machine it was out of order and not accepting payments anyway.

deepsoup 31 Dec 2019
In reply to lurcher:

> I didn't see the plantation car park tho I suspect verges rammed, as usual.  Its a problem thats becoming worse i.e there are more days in a year when its rammed like this.

The "Stand Up For Stanage" stickers were starting to make a significant difference to that, and were becoming increasingly popular, until the Peak Park Authority unilaterally decided to kill the scheme off after its second year.

lurcher 31 Dec 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Yes, I thought they were a really good idea as the money was ring fenced for Stanage.   Chances of the PPA doing anything like that again I guess are slim.  There's got to be a better way to do it than how it is now though. 

The numerous big green roadside signs saying 'when you pay you make everything you see possible' are particularly irksome.  

Duncan Bourne 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Coel Hellier:

... or people who deliberately ignore the signs saying where they can park. Simple rule if you can't park then you can't stay there.

Steve Wetton 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

> ... or people who deliberately ignore the signs saying where they can park. Simple rule if you can't park then you can't stay there.

Hmm.....clearway signs are fine  - but you don't expect to be ticketed if you're on the grass, a good 8 feet off the road....

mcdougal 31 Dec 2019
In reply to Steve Wetton:

> Hmm.....clearway signs are fine 

They're not clearway signs, they say only park in marked bays.

mcdougal 31 Dec 2019
In reply to marsbar:

> There is a bus to the 3 horseshoes. 

2 miles away according to google maps. Some of the people yesterday looked like the walk to the trig point had nearly killed them, adding 4 miles would be tantamount to manslaughter.

marsbar 31 Dec 2019
In reply to mcdougal:

I've a feeling you can get off the bus at the old road junction which would be nearer, but its been quite some years since I did this journey.  

Anyway the walk will do them good!  Character building.  

Steve Wetton 31 Dec 2019
In reply to mcdougal:

> They're not clearway signs, they say only park in marked bays.

At the Roaches? Certainly clearway signs up to 2 yrs ago, I referred to them in my appeal! Which I lost !

Duncan Bourne 01 Jan 2020

I am struggling to think of anywhere near the Roaches where you could park on the grass 8ft from the road. Unless you ploughed through a wall and ended up in some farmers field

Neil Williams 01 Jan 2020
In reply to lurcher:

Hathersage has got a reasonably sized pay and display near the pool.  It's not generally full in winter though it can be busy in summer.  It is a fair walk up to Stanage from there though not as far as you'd think, the road routes are far further as they go round a hill rather than over it as you can on a footpath.  But people in groups could park cars there and go to the crag in one car.

mark s 01 Jan 2020
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

I went up at the weekend and the cars were parked all over the place,blocking gateways etc.

as I walked past one family parking up I said the parking warden will be up later and he will tiket him if he parks there. he just said yeah ok. he didn't move his car and the ticket warden did come up and he did get a ticket. another was parking up and I explained the same and he went to where you are out of the restricted zone.

I have no sympathy for them, its pretty obvious its restricted parking. 

roach end was really bad at times, its not restricted there and it was a free for all. used to go around there in a fire engine and couldn't get through at times.

mcdougal 01 Jan 2020

> At the Roaches? Certainly clearway signs up to 2 yrs ago, I referred to them in my appeal! Which I lost !

Roaches sign (nicked from other thread):-

https://goo.gl/maps/vn1qimujVzeSBiZ86

Highway code (and reason why your appeal failed):-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/58170307ed915d61c5000000/the...

Neil Williams 01 Jan 2020
In reply to mcdougal:

Indeed, not a clearway but a parking and loading restriction on a zonal basis (so no markings on the road itself needed).  Parking and loading restrictions apply to the "building line" (in this case the walls/fences) even if it is private land.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...