UKC

Ravens nesting Lawrencefields

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 GStone 23 May 2021

There is a nest with chicks in half way up Great Harry, just above the first platform. I didn’t realise until I got near it so then bailed.

Luke90 23 May 2021
In reply to GStone:

Thanks for sharing. Possibly worth contacting one of the BMC Access Reps as well: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/list-of-bmc-access-reps

Cake 23 May 2021
In reply to GStone:

Thanks for this. Could you also write it in the feedback section fire the route please.Great Harry (VS 4c)

OP GStone 23 May 2021
In reply to Cake:

Done

OP GStone 23 May 2021
In reply to Luke90:

Will do. I remember there being a sign there last year or the year before so thought it would be ok today. Obviously not!

Rog Wilko 23 May 2021
In reply to GStone:

Is that the Lawrencefields in the Peaks?

Kim 24 May 2021
In reply to GStone:

Thanks for flagging up - though they are Jackdaws, not Ravens. Much smaller, with a grey head. They nest in a lot of crags - on grit lawrencefield and millstone are especially popular.

About now, the best way to avoid them is listen for the chicks - often easily heard, or just sit and watch for 10 minutes before you climb and see where the adults are going in and out.

The signs here last year were for Kestrels (they're not here this year). Jackdaws are pretty tolerant of people - I've watched them going in and out of nest sites while people are climbing very close by (indeed the Kestrels were also impressively tolerant last year given how busy the quarry gets, and not just with climbers!).

Kim Leyland

(BMC Peak Area nest monitoring volunteer)

OP GStone 24 May 2021
In reply to Rog Wilko:

Yes

OP GStone 24 May 2021
In reply to Kim:

Thanks for letting me know. I stand corrected! Will keep an eye out before I start off next time.

and maybe I’ll read a book on bird identification!

Michael Hood 24 May 2021
In reply to GStone:

Just put your hand in the crack near the nest and wiggle your fingers - the chicks will think they're food and give them a good peck - this advice carries a government health warning 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...