UKC

Smalldale Quarry: Access route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian65 16 Jun 2020

New access route into Smalldale Quarry (Peak District). 

Smalldale Quarry

On Sunday 14th June, we were very politely asked not to access the crag through the brickworks. We were directed to a vague path through the trees that begins at a gate directly behind the bend in the wall at the entrance to the brickworks. The track brings you to Going Straight Wall, and I noticed a new Private Property sign by Getafix Wall at the point where you would have entered if walking through the brickworks, so leave the way came in. Absolutely no problems climbing, just a new route to the crag.

In reply to Ian65:

Thanks Ian.

They are always pretty good there. I did ask when working on the new Peak Lime guide and a very friendly guy told me where to park - the upper lane, not the lower one - and when I asked if he minded people walking through he smiled and said he didn't want to reply to that question. It sounds like this new path is a good option though. I will update the app information.

I don't quite follow your description about a bend in the wall though. Can you describe it on this photo?

duchessofmalfi 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I'd post a picture but I don't know how.

Park in the usual place (top side road in your picture) near the entrance to the brick works - if it is a working day park on the verge because big lorries go past.

Walk to the lower side road - entrance to the lorry park. Cross the side road, hop over the wall at the corner, follow path 10m to old gate, go through gate (mind the rusty nail), follow faint path into the woods, path runs out but it is easy to find the crag after 2 minutes. Take a bin bag to remove rubbish, watch out for old wire/barbed wire under foot (trip hazard).  Takes same time to get to the crag and is more pleasant that the lorry park.

It's important to hop over the wall at the corner - don't go up the side road. If you do go up the side road there is a ditch and barbed wire fence to tackle that is bypassed at the corner.

The lorry park guy is very nice but access has changed. I informed the RAD last month (but no reply or change). If you want the map posting tell me how!

In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> I'd post a picture but I don't know how.

Thanks. I have been sent a map by email

Alan

OP Ian65 16 Jun 2020

As per description by Duchessofmalfi.

In your photo, the path runs from the junction of the main road and the lower track through the woods to the crag. Track emerges at Going Straight Wall, so is  a line that wanders at about 4 or 5 o'clock from the corner.

Ian Patterson 16 Jun 2020

Always slighty difficult describe this sort of stuff in words!  Coming from Smalldale direction go just past the second entrance to the lorry park (5 metres), hop over the wall and go through an old gate then follow a faint path into the woods (currently marked by a traffic cone!) and then continue through the woods with 'best' route indicated by trees with yellow insulating tape marked on them (not that easy to see) which brings you directly to the going straight wall.  If you look on google street view you can see the gate clearly, happy to send if it helps. 

OP Ian65 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Ian Patterson:

The traffic cone was in the woods and not visible from the road or the gate when we went through. I agree the tape is hard to spot. Personally, I would avoid any description that relied on movable markers. I'm sure that as this path gets more traffic an optimal track through the woods will become clear. The gate is certainly the fixed starting point.

duchessofmalfi 16 Jun 2020
In reply to Ian65:

To be honest it would be genuinely hard to be genuinely lost given you barely lose sign of the road or crag for more than 1 minute. The markers that were placed are of no real use now and I wouldn't recommend placing any more plastic in the woods.  If someone can deal with the rusty nail on the gate it will save someone from ripped clothes but it probably needs a hammer (I think it's orientated to catch leavers rather than arrivers).

Dan Arkle 16 Jun 2020

I once spent ages cutting though the woods and had to negotiate a fence and a ditch to get back to the main road, soaked and bleeding. 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

> I once spent ages cutting though the woods and had to negotiate a fence and a ditch to get back to the main road, soaked and bleeding. 

I did the same thing once Dan. That was what worried me a bit about this new approach, however, it sounds like a decent new path is being made.

Alan

gravy 16 Jun 2020

Yep, it's a big nasty ditch and the barbed wire fence is mean and rusty - just follow them to the corner if you encounter them...

I think I've sorted the nail in question...

LakesWinter 18 Jun 2020
In reply to Ian65:

How quickly does Smalldale dry by the way?  How long would it need after the monsoon today??

OP Ian65 19 Jun 2020
In reply to LakesWinter:

I'm not local to the area so can't say for sure. But it is north facing, with no major seepage, so I would guess at least a day.

Rad Elliot 26 Jun 2020

Recently had a few issues with parking at Smalldale...

Attempted to park at the brickworks however was moved on by a member of staff works who said "you can't park there, private property and your car will be totalled by lorries". Seemed unlikely as the car was completely off the road.

Parked a on a residential street a few yards north and  right onto of the brickworks. On return I was met by a local who had boxed my car in because he was disappointed we parked outside of his house. No yellow lines or no parking signs. Seemed unreasonable.

Anyone know of any alternative parking spots?

duchessofmalfi 26 Jun 2020
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

Saw it was fixed yesterday thanks! you've save a multitude from tetanus and the tyranny of buying new trousers!

Simon King 27 Jun 2020

Also noticed that someone has put coloured tape on some of the trees to help identify the path through the woods.

Simon

gravy 30 Jun 2020
In reply to Simon King:

Does anyone know if the chopped bolts at the bottom of Summat Outanowt indicate a problem? or is it just that the bottom bolts are now shared with Lost Contact? The rock at the overlap looks like it might not be too clever!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...