UKC

Stanage bird ban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Cheryl 22 Jun 2017
There is a bird ban for some of the Popular End of Stanage but it doesn't include Black Hall Hell Crack which we just climbed much to the terror of the little bird nesting on it. Obviously we didn't know before or we wouldn't have climbed it. Please avoid this route!
How do I tell the people who put the bird boards up at Stanage?
Thanks
 J Whittaker 22 Jun 2017
In reply to Cheryl:

Local BMC area? That would be my guess.
 toad 22 Jun 2017
In reply to Cheryl: the stanage bird ban is really about ring ouzel. You are likely to find nesting birds on pretty much any route in spring, so it's down to individual climbers if they stumble on nesting birds to use their discretion and back off if they think they are disturbing a nest. I don't think the park, the BMC or NT/rspb have the resources to flag every nest

OP Cheryl 22 Jun 2017
In reply to toad:
Ok thanks. We did think it was a ring ouzel at first but now we aren't sure. Anyway didn't really know what the ettiquette is so thanks for help.
 Adam Long 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Cheryl:

Thanks for the info Cheryl, I will try to check the site out and pass the info on to Bill, the Stanage warden.

For future reference, Bill lives in the cottage by the campsite so is more or less permanently on site. However he is retiring in the next few weeks and the PDNPA look unlikely to replace him.
 Simon Caldwell 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Cheryl:

We were there when it was building its nest - it was obviously concerned about all the people climbing nearby, but not concerned enough to go somewhere else instead!
OP Cheryl 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Thank you. This is it I'm sure. Its nest and eggs are so close that someone might accidentally put a hand or ram a cam in the nest and I like birds! :-/ But we have done what we can. Thanks everyone.
OP Cheryl 23 Jun 2017
In reply to Adam Long:
Thank you. Funnily enough we stayed at the campsite but I didn't know this was where Bill could be found. We did mention it to the lady at the campsite though so maybe he will hear of it. I hope they find a replacement for his invaluable service.

I wonder if there is anyway of putting up signs on routes where there aren't bird bans to warn people that there is a nest. I know I for one would not climb a route if I thought there was a nest even if the bird nesting wasn't deemed endangered enough to warrant a ban. Maybe that would be confusing I don't know.
We did originally mark that there was a nest on the route with climbing tape on the rock at the start to warn other climbers but when we woke up this morning we had a pang of littering guilt and went and removed it.
 Offwidth 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Cheryl:

Just a quick reminer to everyone the wagtails are still nesting on Black Hawk Hell Crack. They were very anxious yesterday whilst climbers had a top-rope down the route. Also quite a few were ignoring the notices about dogs.. the signs at access points clearly say you need to keep dogs on a lead or under close control and point out breach of this is illegal until the end of July.

On the ethics front, some groups could do with reading this (especially the big Scout group on Saturday with top ropes left up for long time on classics and with young scouts too often repetedly flailing on classics that were clearly too hard for them):

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/green-guide-to-the-uplands
 JEF 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Offwidth:

I saw some scouts at Stanage on Saturday they were (trying) to top rope Hell Crack (VS 4c). I corrected one lad who kept letting go of the dead rope. I mentioned it to their leader who didn't seem at all interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...