UKC

The Holcombe Quarries (Cooks Wood Quarry)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Legs 05 Jul 2017
I have been climbing at Fairy Cave a lot recently and wanted a bit of a change of venue. I saw this place and wanted to ask a few questions about the access.

The most recent access issues is from 2012. I wondered if this situation had changed at all or is in the process of being discussed?

Has anyone been recently - is it easy to access and remain under the radar to have a quick climb.

Thanks
Legs
 beardy mike 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Legs:

Very tricky at the moment as the quarries are in a state of high activity and some of it has essentially been dismantled. Or rather filled in - atleast the wet side has. I think contractors are there more or less every day and security much of the rest of the time...
 Fatclimber 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Legs:

Went to have a look a few weeks ago. Security sat by the entrance.
 deepstar 05 Jul 2017
In reply to Legs:

There are several crags on Mendip you could try for a change of venue. For example Dinder Woods, Croscombe Crags, Correges Cumb, Sandford Quarry. All good fun and all would be improved with a bit of traffic.
 petegunn 05 Jul 2017
In reply to deepstar:
Hi Deepstart
Do you know if theres going to be a new guide including all the areas you've mentioned?
I've been to several, but have just had ukc to go by which is tricky going as often its just the names with no route description : (
Cheers
Pete
 deepstar 05 Jul 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Hi Pete, the long awaited Pylon King guide to the smaller Mendip crags should arrive in our bookstores at some point, probably about the time George R Martin completes his Game of Thrones series. You could have an enjoyable day at Croscombe ( which is in the Avon and Cheddar guide) and then cross the valley to Correges Cumb where some of the routes have descriptions on UKC and others are identifiable by the photos.
OP Legs 06 Jul 2017
In reply to all:
Thanks for the advise I will check out the other crags mentioned instead for a change of venue.
Legs

petegunn 10 Jul 2017
In reply to Legs:

Tip: if you go to cross coombe or correges cumb take a strong stick to beat the 10' high nettles, I thought they were joking!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...