UKC

Thorn Crag (Lancashire) Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MTL 30 Aug 2020

Hi,

Can anyone clarify what the current agreement is for parking at Thorn Crag?  There are no parking signs everywhere in Tarnbrook and a "No Parking Beyond this Point" sign about 20 mins walk back down the road by a large lay-by.  On a visit yesterday we opted to park in the lay-by and walk-in down the road (which was easy going really), but others at the crag opted to park in Tarnbrook (and reported locals looking unhappy).  If anyone local knows what the current situation is it would be good to clarify so the RAD page can updated/made clearer?

Cheers,

Matt

Post edited at 09:44
 loundsy 30 Aug 2020
In reply to MTL:

Parking in the lay by and walking is the way to go now. 

Tim

Jon Stewart 30 Aug 2020
In reply to loundsy:

> Parking in the lay by and walking is the way to go now. 

Yes, this. Although it is a right f*cker. 

afx22 30 Aug 2020
In reply to loundsy:

Which layby?  I don’t remember seeing one when I’ve been.

Lankyman 30 Aug 2020
In reply to afx22:

It's on the right just a short distance up from the junction where you leave the main road. Space for several cars so not exactly large?

OP MTL 30 Aug 2020
In reply to afx22:

Yeah it's a newish looking one, its walled on three sides, with space for maybe 5 or so cars.

I think the RAD page needs updating as it seems out of date/to be contradicting the signs in the area.

Post edited at 17:36
 afx22 30 Aug 2020
In reply to MTL:

Thanks guys.  Just looking on the OS map, the main road is just over 2km to the east of Tarnbrook, at Lee Bridge.  I can see what might be a some parking there.  If that’s the one, that seems quite an extension to an already fairly challenging walk in (and back).

Post edited at 18:31
 Paul Evans 31 Aug 2020
In reply to MTL:

Thanks for raising this, and thanks to all who have contributed so far.  I'll raise this with Les (who doesn't do social media) and Rob D to confirm exactly what the new arrangements are, and get RAD updated. 

Paul E, BMC NW Area Sec

Jon Stewart 31 Aug 2020
In reply to afx22:

> Thanks guys.  Just looking on the OS map, the main road is just over 2km to the east of Tarnbrook, at Lee Bridge.  I can see what might be a some parking there.  If that’s the one, that seems quite an extension to an already fairly challenging walk in (and back).

It's at the junction and it's miles. 

loundsy 31 Aug 2020
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yep, think there was a lot of poor parking going on blocking spaces/turning for farm vehicles for the locals.

Tempted to take a bike up next time, lovely crag some cracking routes and problems up there.

OldGrouse 31 Aug 2020
In reply to MTL:

Last weekend I was told by locals that parking past the green through the gate and on the left (where there is space for 2 or 3 cars) is OK. No idea if that view is shared by other locals though so treat with a pinch of salt!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...