UKC

Thorn Crag Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 afx22 20 Oct 2020

I see that the BMC Rad website now confirms that parking for is no longer allowed in Tarnbrook.  The new parking spot is back near the turning for the village.

This means bouldering may as well be banned at Thorn Crag.  The new parking spot means a additional 2km walk, each way, down a narrow lane (never the safest thing when carrying pads).  Then there’s the 50 minute walk up the hill to the boulders.  Not great if you are carrying 2 or 3 pads.

I appreciate that larger groups, each carrying a single pad, would lighten the load but in these time of COVID, large groups are not an option.

Is there a way of regaining parking access without upsetting the locals and making climbers look bad?  

In reply to afx22:

Buy a DeLorean, get it up to 88mph, go back to 2010 Tarnbrook, tell people not to piss the farmer off.

Lankyman 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

> Is there a way of regaining parking access without upsetting the locals and making climbers look bad?  

Yes. Stop wearing beanies and taking your shirt off.

SFrancis 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

Around a month a go I asked for a beta regarding thorn crag for a quick hit on the way through. As you say I found it not exactly perfect for quick hit but I did manage it. The village is a stunning little place and I understand why they don't want people parking there. 

I drove into the village and dropped of my pads out of sight behind the wall, if I had someone else with me I would have dropped them as well. Drove back to the parking spot, and jogged back in ~12mins. Walked in and ticked elemental and burnt heather and it took me just over an hr to walk back to the car with the pads. 

The place is absolutely stunning and well worth the walk in, and call me crazy but the fact it took a little effort to walk in made it extra special and one of my favourite afternoons this year. I really don't think the parking access is ever going to be reinstated, so suck it up and go for a walk, its worth it. 

Offwidth 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

Stop, place pads in field at the path access (leaving passenger if nervous about theft), drive, park and walk. Groups of 6 are allowed to boulder together outdoors under the current rules with good hand hygiene. 

sxrxg 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

Bouldering way as may well be banned is a ridiculous statement. 2km is only half an hours extra walk in. As per the previous poster you can drive down and drop your pads off if you want to speed up the walk/jog down the road. As for the safety thing you will be unlikely to see another car the road takes so little traffic. If the traffic is your main concern then park at tower lodge and add the 2km additional walk along the Wyre Way footpath and enjoy some of the most beautiful countryside in Lancashire.  

Arms Cliff 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

> This means bouldering may as well be banned at Thorn Crag. 

This is really not helping the lazy boulderer stereotype! There are plenty of bouldering spots with longer and steeper walks where people carry multiple pads. Take a break, enjoy the view. 

OP afx22 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Arms Cliff:

I get your point.  I don’t think of myself as a lazy boulderer but how I see how it might look that way.  I’ve turned soft in that I like to climb over lots of big, heavy mats

OP afx22 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I thought about dumping the pads in the village. I can imagine that might work but might not look good to the local residents.

OP afx22 20 Oct 2020
In reply to SFrancis:

I’ve been a couple of time before.  I love the place.

Michael Hood 20 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

Maybe needs a bit of communication with the villagers that people will try and park outside the village as requested but will drop mates and kit off as close to the crag as possible and then go and park.

I'm sure most would then see that we're behaving reasonably and responsibly.

In reply to Michael Hood:

> I'm sure most would then see that we're behaving reasonably and responsibly.

They won't though. They won't see the ones that are behaving responsibly, keeping a low profile and staying out of the way. They will only ever notice the ones that aren't. Which is how we end up in this situation.

Lankyman 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Longsufferingropeholder:

It's a long time since I parked in Tarnbrook, well before the small carpark near the junction was built. Has anyone ever approached the Abbeystead estate? I assume it's the Duke of Westminster who owns much of the surrounding land. Could a small amount of parking be allowed beyond the hamlet where the gravel roads start? That way the locals aren't inconvenienced by irresponsible parking.

Jackob 21 Oct 2020
In reply to afx22:

I just loaded my van up with pads and my bike dropped all my pals off & cycled from the parking. Bit of a pain in the arse but didn't take too long.

I agree that there is plenty of parking in the village too accommodate the (relatively few) visitors and that there is definately an aspect of nimbyism from the local recidents. Even if there was to just be an honesty box like at st bees could be a good solution?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...