UKC

Tintern quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
K Rilkson 10 Aug 2016
Went to climb at tintern quarry today and there were brand new barbed wire fences, covering all access points down to the quarry. Anyone know if this is now officially no longer accessible? Seem to recall that a pylon fell in the middle of the pathway down to the quarry some weeks ago.
 Fatclimber 16 Aug 2016
In reply to K Rilkson:

Was there about a month ago and there was no fence, so it is recent.
 bpmclimb 16 Aug 2016
In reply to K Rilkson:

> Went to climb at tintern quarry today and there were brand new barbed wire fences, covering all access points down to the quarry. Anyone know if this is now officially no longer accessible? Seem to recall that a pylon fell in the middle of the pathway down to the quarry some weeks ago.

That's a pity, I was hoping all would remain quiet. The official position (for some time now) is that climbing isn't allowed at TQ. However, climbers have been visiting increasingly regularly; the increase in traffic has probably pinged the radar of the owners.

Rick will probably be along directly
 Rick Sewards 17 Aug 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Sorry for the silence, I've just got back from holiday. There appears to be no sign of any change in the physical access to the quarry, or any new fencing - so it's either been removed or possibly the original poster was mixing up Tintern Quarry with Livox Quarry over the river? (Not that I know whether the latter has any new fencing). The general access position remains as before, that the landowner does not wish climbing to take place and so anyone climbing may be asked to leave.

Rick Sewards
Wye Valley Access Rep

pasbury 18 Aug 2016
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Livox has had a spate of swimmers in it, blocking up all the laybys nearby and presumably making the owners nervous by jumping off cliffs into the lake. There are now big fences across the two access points and security guards sitting in their cars on sunny evenings. Difficult to confuse the two quarries though!

I don't suppose anyone has ever tried climbing at Livox? The back wall is quite impressive but also tottering death of the highest order!
 bpmclimb 30 Aug 2016
In reply to pasbury:

> security guards sitting in their cars on sunny evenings.

......... thereby blocking the layby just north of Wyndcliffe Quarry, pretty much preventing U-turns. I just about managed one the other day regardless. The guard was out of his car, talking on his mobile. He knew fine that I just wanted to turn around, but stood right in the way and gave me the look. What is he - tougher than half a ton of metal? Silly tosser! I was tempted to run him over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...