UKC

Vivian Quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jezb1 08 Dec 2012
What's the agreement arrangement here?

I climbed mental lentils today and was about to start up psychotherapy when a dive centre person told me I wasn't allowed to climb in that area when the dive centre was open.

Lentils area he said was fine but anything else further round was out.

He was very polite, as was I and we had a little chat after about some random things.

I thought it was just the prow we weren't allowed on when the centre was open?
 Al Evans 08 Dec 2012
In reply to jezb1: Hang on. Why does the dive centre have priority, even over the prow? Do they own it? and how did they buy it?
 Sl@te Head 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans: They do not own it, though common sense says that climbing on the prow with Divers below could be potentially dangerous if e.g. a block was pulled off....quite a likely scenario on slate. I wasn't aware that Psychotherapy was out of bounds. I've dived at Vivian and know that that end of the pool isn't really frequented by divers as it's very blocky and shallower than the rest of the pool however there is a training platform towards that end. I would say that it would be very difficult to trundle a block on top of a diver on the Psychotherapy / bobby's groove end of the pool. The guy who runs Vivian dive centre is a really nice bloke, may be we need Elfyn (BMC) to approach him to negotiate access...I would be happy to be involved as a local activist who has dived there.
 Al Evans 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head: So as usual its climbers being reasonable and other activists being solidly against climbing! I can't see how Psychotherapy could possibly endanger divers, who I happen to think are completely unreasonable in their possesiveness about Vivian Quarry, they need to take a step back and be reasonable.
 metal arms 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to ian Ll-J) So as usual its climbers being reasonable and other activists being solidly against climbing! I can't see how Psychotherapy could possibly endanger divers, who I happen to think are completely unreasonable in their possesiveness about Vivian Quarry, they need to take a step back and be reasonable.

It sounds more like a case of crossed wires to me... Luckily the North Wales access guys are spot on, and the OP didn't annoy anyone from the Dive center. The OP can go back to do Psycotherapy another day, he didn't seem annoyed and was just checking the rules. When I did Psycotherapy the center was open. I would guess the guy who spoke to the OP was mistaken but not malicious.

</Thinking the best of others intentions>
OP jezb1 08 Dec 2012
In reply to metal arms: Was very, very mildly annoyed but I only live half an hour away so it's no drama!

I thought about going and having a look at Last Tango, but thought I should leave the divers to it, didn't want to cause any issues.

Whilst I was there a shoe box size block did come down the loose corner of the quarry - courtesy of one of the goats.

Ian, if you could have a word with Elfyn that would be grand. The guy seemed to think that the quarry was extra loose due to all the rain we've had.
 Sl@te Head 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans: There is no conflict between divers and climbers never has been as far as I'm aware.

Many climbers dive and many divers climb.

Sl@te Head 08 Dec 2012
In reply to jezb1:
>
> Ian, if you could have a word with Elfyn that would be grand. The guy seemed to think that the quarry was extra loose due to all the rain we've had.

He's definitely got a point about the quarries being extra loose after all that rain...defo worth taking care at the moment especially with the freeze thaw we will no doubt get this winter.

I'm sure Elfyn keeps his eye on these type of threads on UKC, if I see him I will have a chat about Vivian.

mr mills 08 Dec 2012
In reply to Sl@te Head:

Gwynedd Council owns the Vivian Quarry, the guy in the diving centre did not have the right to ask him not to climb there !

Elfyn is out of the country for 6 weeks (South Affrica), he might reply to this post if he sees it....

mills
 Sl@te Head 08 Dec 2012
In reply to mr mills: So our BMC Access officer only works part time!!!!lol
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 08 Dec 2012
In reply to jezb1: Personally I have never been asked not to climb on Psychotherapy area. Nor in the past have I heard of someone asking that you didn't climb there. I have had the dive centre owner ask me to not climb on the Prow, after I abseiled in. This was before there was an agrement not to climb there. To which I said I am not swimming out, so unfortunately for him I climbed out and went elsewhere.

I have heard climbers ask if he had any divers in the pool and when he said no, said they were climbing on the Prow. To which he kind of had nowhere to go in terms of saying no.

Like Mills said Elfyn is somewhere hot and sunny for 6 weeks, lucky begger. I am sure another of the access officers can follow this up in his absence. Try emailing the BMC, as I think if this was the case then someone needs to aproach him and ask politely why all of a sudden he has changed his policy.
 EeeByGum 11 Dec 2012
In reply to mr mills:

> Gwynedd Council owns the Vivian Quarry, the guy in the diving centre did not have the right to ask him not to climb there !

Of course he had the right to ask... in exactly the same way that common sense asks climbers not to climb at Gordale Scar on busy weekends.

I don't really see what the issue is here. The climb will still be there another day.
 Al Evans 11 Dec 2012
In reply to EeeByGum: So will the diving, But if he's asking and climbers are being reasonable, well frankly the divers aren't, ok the prow is a problem if divers are in, but no way can Pyscotherapy be considered a risk to divers, tell him to eff off!
 muppetfilter 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans: The Divesite at Vivian is a pretty unique venue and folks travel to it specifically. As climbers we have a playground of rock within a small distance of there so why not let the divers enjoy it ?
 EeeByGum 11 Dec 2012
In reply to Al Evans:
> tell him to eff off!

It is good to see that all climbers are so considerate and polite.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...