UKC

Wildcat Access Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johncook 02 May 2023

All access to Wildcat in forbidden. The new signs went up during this afternoon.

Apparent excuse, climbers going over/through the fence!

cragtyke 02 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

Sodding hell, just arranged to go there tomorrow. Thanks for the warning.

Moacs 02 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

> All access to Wildcat in forbidden. The new signs went up during this afternoon.

> Apparent excuse, climbers going over/through the fence!

Fnck that's bad.  This is why we can't have nice things.

A curse on the bastards who can't/won't follow the simple access arrangements.

Ian Milward 02 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

BMC Access Reps were made aware of this situation this morning.

Would be good if comments are restrained whilst any response is being considered.

Thanks all.

Moacs 02 May 2023
In reply to Ian Milward:

I don't see that condemning the minority who don't follow access agreements is problematic.  The majority of climbers do want to follow them and will be annoyed and depressed at what's happened 

Ian Milward 02 May 2023
In reply to Moacs:

Appreciate that but the minority also post on here from time to time....

spenser 02 May 2023
In reply to Ian Milward:

I have notified the Oread Mountaineering Club (my local club) via the email group as they make fairly frequent use of the crag.

Ian Milward 02 May 2023
In reply to spenser:

Thanks spenser 

PaulJepson 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

Does anyone else get the impression that that was the plan all along?

midgen 03 May 2023
In reply to PaulJepson:

Personally, no, I think they are acting in the interests of the children in their care, and agreed a reasonable compromise to allow climbing to continue.

But even if you accept that this was their diabolical plan all along, then massive congratulations to the people that completed the essential step of flouting the access agreement to get all access removed. Bravo.

steveriley 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

That's a shame. See also Hoghton Quarry Lancashire, access removed because climbers ignored the agreement in spectacular fashion. Sometimes we are own worst enemy.

OP johncook 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

As of 9:30 Wednesday 3rd May this new ban has not appeared on the BMC RAD.

Please don't go to the crag until something is sorted!

Team BMC 03 May 2023

The new entry on the RAD is as follows:

The owner has stated that due to breaches of the agreed access arrangements:

Access is now revoked. 

Signage and abseil anchors will be removed 

Security cameras have been installed

Manor Adventure will "treat any attempt to enter the grounds as aggravated trespass."

The BMC are seeking dialogue, any change will be communicated via the RAD

Team BMC 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

Whilst this is terrible news particularly for local climbers we would urge that everyone refrain from speculation and conjecture on here.

The landowner does closely follow climbing media related to the crag. Any resolution is difficult from where we are now and even unintentionally inflammatory comments could make things worse. 

OP johncook 03 May 2023
In reply to Team BMC:

I appreciate that. I was just trying to let people know that there was now a ban before they had paid £6 to park.

We have always followed the guidelines very carefully, abbing in and keeping as low a profile as possible.

Team BMC 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

Cheers John. My post was aimed at anyone viewing the topic, not to the content of the OP. It's a quirk of the forum that 'reply to topic' appears as 'reply to johncook'. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

GrahamD 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

What a real shame.  I was lucky enough to bag a great day's climbing there a couple of months back and was reminded of the number of quality lower grade routes there.

To be honest, the alternative abseil access route really wasn't that onerous either.

JimR 03 May 2023
In reply to johncook:

I wonder if some of the people crossing the fence were not climbers? To be honest, the abseil is probably easier than accessing from below. I was climbing there last Nov and noticed several people wandering below having crossed the fence who were definitely not climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...