UKC

Wilton 1 Seasonal Access Restrictions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flavio 23 May 2023

Can someone in the know clarify seasonal access situation at Wilton 1 (a BMC owned crag) please? Especially given recent access issues elsewhere.

The RAD and UKC access information is not very clear.

BMC RAD app is orange, it was last updated 22/05/2023. There is a note about nesting crows/jackdaws in the Graveyard area "from 22 May 2023" with no end date. Further down there is, presumably, another restriction from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma (i.e. Gray Wall, The Pit and Red Wall) but with no restriction dates given. Historically I remember this was for nesting Peregrines, but it's not enforced every year.

UKC page access note however is green, it was last updated 20/10/2021. But on expanding the box, it shows nesting restrictions from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma inclusive from 1 March to 30 June. It's not clear if this is for 2023 or historical. Routes/problems continue to be climbed and logged in this area.

I am fairly local to Wilton and would like to revive and climb several routes on the Pit/Grey Wall in the near future, but this is all very confusing. What is the situation and can RAD/UKC please be updated accordingly?

Also, UKC page shows no access restrictions for  Wilton 2, when there are established climbing/shooting priority days as detailed on the BMC RAD app. Can this be updated too please?

Thank you!

steveriley 23 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Funnily enough, I was looking at this earlier and noticed the Wilton 1 entry is not in sync. Normally there is a link between the BMC RAD and UKC, with the RAD the primary source. Sometimes this is overridden, but I have no insight into if or why this has happened. Suggest this is one to ask Paul or Andy at ukc.

I can get the RAD updated but don't have any recent first hand knowledge, including the recent Wilton bird update for the Graveyard.

For Wilton 2, suggest messaging the mod Stuart Holmes by clicking 'Update this Crag'. 

Latest access info according to the guides and best of my knowledge is:

W1, access any day
W2&4, climbing Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
W3, climbing Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday
All of the above may be subject to temporary restrictions.

Other days shooting has priority and should be flying red flags. They still have priority even if they arrive after climbers when climbers should leave with a smile on their face and maintain good relations.

OP Flavio 23 May 2023
In reply to steveriley:

Thanks, it looks like the UKC page has now updated and is yellow. However UKC does not mention Crows/Jackdaws in the graveyard area.

The RAD web version says Crows/Jackdaws restrictions in the Graveyard area from 22/05/2023 to 30/06/2023. My Android app just says "from 22/05/2023"

I am still not sure if climbing from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma is ok this year or not.

steveriley 23 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

I am still not sure if climbing from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma is ok this year or not.

I'd say not, it's only until after 30 June in any case.

Team BMC 23 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Thanks, I've passed the issue with the app on to IT to look into. 

Regards the other restriction (Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma). Steve is correct in thinking this is not in force this year. I've adjusted the wording slightly for clarity.

OP Flavio 23 May 2023
In reply to Team BMC:

I understood Steve to say that its not ok to climb from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma until June 30, thanks for clarifying the opposite. 

So, as I understand from this thread, the only nesting restrictions in Wilton 1 this year is around the Graveyard area from 22/05/2023 to 30/06/2023.

I still think this is not clear for anyone checking UKC or the RAD not aware of this thread.

UKC still says "Dates: 1 March to 30 June; Reason: Nesting Birds; The restriction when in force applies from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma inclusive." this is not the case.

RAD says a restriction is in place (on Graveyard) but then says the restriction when in force applies from Sobeit to Virgin's Dilemma inclusive (so not on Graveyard). This is not the case. Including Graveyard start/finish route names would be helpful. 

Thank you

Team BMC 23 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

I've removed the reference to the routes which are covered by the usual seasonal restriction (as it's not applicable this year).

OP Flavio 23 May 2023
In reply to Team BMC:

Thank you. The RAD page is now clear but if you now look at the UKC page it says nesting restrictions from 1 March to 30 June, with no caveats, which can be interpreted as a restriction on the whole crag...

I've not been able to update via the UKC "update crag" function as it's now linked with RAD. Something is not working, seems the two are not synching. I don't understand all this and it could be a problem at other places too? 

stuartholmes 24 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Sorry bit late on this one, now the BMC has updated RAD the UKC page should auto update. Let me know if it's still not in sync when you view it and il see what I can do. 

Cheers Stuart

spidermonkey09 24 May 2023
In reply to stuartholmes:

Not synced for me.

OP Flavio 24 May 2023

Wilton 2 is fine, Wilton 1 is not.

I've compared with other bird banned crags; Gogarth, Pen Trwyn, Raven Crag. It appears the issue is having the restriction section on the RAD turned on but not filled in (one with the calendar icon) so UKC has no data to sync and still shows some old data.

The Crows/Jackdaws restrictions in the Graveyard were entered on RAD only in the intro section above "Crag information" for Wilton 1, typically this is used to give a brief description of the place not restrictions, and this is not synched between RAD and UKC for any crag.

Post edited at 13:19
 steveriley 24 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

Thanks, I can take another look at this for you. Good diligence!

Team BMC 24 May 2023
In reply to Flavio:

The crow/jackdaw nest is reported using the Temporary Restriction function, as it is a one off time limited restriction. Typically bird restrictions are repeat restrictions which apply (or a variant of) on multiple years, these are reported using the Seasonal Restriction function.

The temp restriction has the benefit of automatically switching off once the date expires.

Post edited at 16:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...