UKC

Wilton sale?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just seen this on Rightmove, looks very much like 2 of the Wilton quarries to me. 

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-85199023....

If it is where I think it is and the quarries are sold off, do hope access can be maintained. 

remus Global Crag Moderator 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Christopher Smith:

Good spot! If the UKC maps are correct it looks like the land covers wilton 2, 3 and 4. I've no idea how these things work, but I wonder whether the BMC would consider the purchase to secure access in future? £20k seems kinda reasonable to secure access long term.

Graeme Hammond 02 Oct 2020

Not as expensive as I thought, and although i don't know anything about ongoing mantaince costs which would have to be found if sold at that price I would very much like the BMC to spend what must be a small amount of money from their budget to solidify access to an important crag.

Offwidth 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

The BMC were involved the last time they were sold

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ww...

Graeme Hammond 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Offwidth:

I don't think that link works but I'm well aware the BMC came to an agreement with the gun club about not bidding against each other when the quarries were previously sold and ultimately the BMC bought Wilton 1 if that is what you are referring to

What I am expressing as a BMC member is I would very much like them to consider spending our money on this.

LakesWinter 02 Oct 2020

I agree

Offwidth 02 Oct 2020

I agree the BMC should try to purchase them as well. 

The link works for me... I searched "BMC buy Wilton" and it was about the 5th item.

"www.thebmc.co.uk › Downlo...PDF
BMC buy Wilton 1 quarry - The British Mountaineering Council'

It's the Feb 09 NW area newsletter and should be available through their community pages.

mrphilipoldham 02 Oct 2020

It's access land under CRoW so climbing shouldn't be affected.

Sam Beaton 02 Oct 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

A CROW Access Land designation offers no protection against development. And if that development turns the land into Excepted Land as defined by the CROW Act then there is no longer a right to access

Arms Cliff 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Sam Beaton:

You think someone is going to go for a couple of mini Rathos? 

Rob Dyer, BMC 02 Oct 2020

Hi all, 

Myself and Les Ainsworth (Lancashire Access Rep) have been investigating his this morning and it turns out that the estate agents have got the details wrong and it's a completely different parcel of land to that shown on the image on Rightmove. Neither shooting club knew anything about it when asked and were as surprised as us. The estate agents say they are trying to get the listing removed ASAP.

Cheers,
Rob Dyer (BMC Access & Conservation Officer)

Post edited at 11:38
In reply to Rob Dyer, BMC:

Phew, thanks Rob and Les. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...