UKC

Wintour's Leap - suspicious activity near the peregrine nest

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 08 Jun 2017
Hi all

As posted earlier and signposted at the crag, there are peregrines nesting at the far right hand end of Fly Wall - thanks for your continued observance of the restriction in the this area (all routes right of Dragonfly). Unfortunately for the second year running, there have been deliberate attempts to disturb this nest site (last year at least one police caution was issued, but it is not known who the culprit is this time). Please could I ask anyone climbing on Fly Wall or in the quarry, or walking through the quarry, to keep an eye out for suspicious activity above the right hand end of fly wall - in particular, if you see anyone concealing their face with a hood or balaclava in this area it is very likely they are up to no good (there are cameras monitoring the nest and it appears that the person concerned knows this).

Obviously if you see anything you will need to make a judgement about whether to challenge the individual(s) or to report to the police. It is worth saying that this is criminal activity and the police have already been informed and are treating it seriously.

Rick Sewards
BMC Wye Valley Access Rep
 Luke90 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Rick Sewards:

http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/man-climbed-high-cliff-disturb-99...

What would the motivation be for something like this?!
 Kevster 08 Jun 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Have you seen the price of birds of prey?
OP Rick Sewards 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Thanks for posting the link - not least because I was a bit worried that people might think I was going a bit over the top with talk of hooded suspects, cameras and police involvement!

I've no idea of the motivation, could be theft of eggs/chicks, attempts to kill them to reduce raptor numbers or just delinquency.

Rick
 Rob Morgan 09 Jun 2017
Egg collecting is still a big problem but the chicks would have hatched by now and nearly fledged. Seems odd. I've heard of pigeon fanciers attacking birds of prey before, could be that? I've definitely found a few pigeon rings on the ledges at Wintours!
Post edited at 16:43
 Luke90 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Morgan:

At risk of stereotyping horrendously, the youth in the photo doesn't look like my mental picture of the typical pigeon fancier.
 Cheese Monkey 09 Jun 2017
In reply to Rob Morgan:

My next door neighbour races pigeons and hates peregrines. I'll keep an eye on him
Bruce6571 10 Jun 2017

Hi.

Sorry to jump in, but I was thinking of heading to fly wall Tomorrow. The RAD says it should not be climbed. Is this a strict enforcement? If people still are climbing there, how far right is the furthest climb we could do without upsetting the birds?

Thanks.
OP Rick Sewards 10 Jun 2017
In reply to Bruce6571:

Hi Bruce

You're fine to climb on most of Fly Wall, but the not the far right hand end, to the right of Dragonfly - of the popular routes, it is only Big Fly Direct and Jos'e and the Fly that are off limits.

Rick
Bruce6571 10 Jun 2017

Thanks mate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...