UKC

Wintour's Leap - Woodcraft Quarry access

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 salexc 18 Aug 2018

Wintour's Leap

I've just been to check out the fencing leading to Woodcroft Quarry, and had a long conversation with the Old School House owner. He's in the middle of erecting additional fencing on his land because, even today, climbers are damaging the fencing put in place by the Quarry owners to restrict access, and still using his property to get around the fencing WHILST HE'S HSTOOD THERE WATCHING.

He is rapidly becoming less well-disposed to the climbing community, because our actions in damaging the fence is enabling the local yobbos to get through as well. The quarry owners are also apparently in the verge of doing something significant, like debolting all the routes and potentially chiselling or blasting to permanently affect the quarry structure.

It's not rocket science, folks - STAY AWAY FROM THIS ENTRANCE.

Rick Sewards - email me if you want more details.

Luke90 18 Aug 2018
In reply to salexc:

I wonder whether a BMC-badged notice at the entrance would be helpful? It could specifically say that the access situation has changed and give a link to the RAD. I suspect lots of people haven't seen the posts on UKC and won't think to check the RAD for a crag they've been visiting for years. The quarry entrance has always been fenced off and had a variety of signs saying private/no access or words to that effect. If somebody's been visiting for years, they probably wouldn't realise that the BMC are requesting adherence this time around.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...