UKC

Witches quarry today

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Doc Oc 29 Jun 2019

I popped to Witches quarry today but when I counted that there were already 13 cars parked on the field I turned around and left. No great loss, I ended up at Widdop. However the limit on cars at Witches is 10, there is a sign informing of that. Please, If we don’t adhere to the agreement between the BMC and the landowner we will all lose access.

Run_Ross_Run 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Doc Oc:

Could three (or more) of them be either the landowners or friends of his? 

OP Doc Oc 29 Jun 2019
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Unfortunately no. The field is only used by climbers and the farmer’s sheep.

mark catcher 30 Jun 2019
In reply to Doc Oc: Don't think I've ever seen that many at Witches - surely a group? Plenty of parking available two minutes walk down the hill by the lodge.

OP Doc Oc 30 Jun 2019
In reply to mark catcher:

Yeah, I’ve never seen it so packed - certainly didn’t make any sense trying to do the traverse. The sign at the crag gives directions to the overspill parking which, as you point out, is only a few minutes away.

Wiley Coyote2 30 Jun 2019
In reply to Doc Oc:

The field  is also used by picnickers/families with kids so may not all have been climbers but I agree anyone who breaks the agreement is a thoughtless cretin

Post edited at 18:59
 climberchristy 30 Jun 2019
In reply to Doc Oc:

I was there yesterday. We were first car in. I can confirm the number did  to for a brief while get to 13. At that point a very nice climber I was talking to had a quiet word with the owners of the 'extra' cars and they soon removed bringing the number back down to 10. A number of the climbers from the various cars seemed to know each other but it was not a 'group' as such as far as I could tell. 

OP Doc Oc 01 Jul 2019
In reply to climberchristy:

Thanks. I think those responsible for sorting it out deserve a collective pat on the back.

nwclimber 03 Jul 2019
In reply to Doc Oc:

As a footnote to the above, a friend who was climbing at Witches last Thursday had a conversation with the farmer who owns the field in which the quarry is situated. The farmer had noticed an increase in the popularity of the crag and was concerned to see that the conditions for access were being adhered to.

Please, if you intend to climb at Witches, make sure you can count to ten, and politely inform innumerate drivers of the location of alternative parking.

OP Doc Oc 05 Jul 2019
In reply to nwclimber:

Thanks. Here’s hoping we don’t lose access to what is a great little crag.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...