UKC

Wyndcliffe Quarry – sensitive wildlife

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Sewards 04 Oct 2017
Hi everybody,

As many of you will know, Wyndcliffe Quarry has become very popular recently, particularly since the development of new sport routes and the publication of the new guide to Wye Valley sport climbing. Please note however that - notwithstanding its rather shattered appearance - it is a SSSI and there are rare plants there – in particular, there are quite a number of rare Whitebeam trees (these are typically small, fairly spindly trees with leaves that have a white underside and red berries in autumn). I have had a meeting there with a representative from Natural Resources Wales (NRW), and while they are quite happy for climbing to continue they are concerned about damage to whitebeams and other vegetation. Can I please ask that before anyone does any further development here (that requires or results in vegetation removal) they contact me so that I can establish whether it will impact on any of the sensitive areas. I have already spoken to some of the more prolific new-route developers but wanted everyone to be aware of this.

For climbers in general, you are welcome to continue to climb here (a particularly useful venue now that winter is coming!) but please take care not to damage trees or saplings.

Signs (agreed by NRW and the BMC) will appear on site shortly, but in the meantime can I ask everyone to tread lightly.

Thanks
Rick
Wye Valley Access Rep

bpmclimb 05 Oct 2017
In reply to Rick Sewards:

Presumably, among other things, "tread lightly" means not lighting fires!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...