UKC

Yarncliffe Parking

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 George Frisby 15 Oct 2021

Hi all,

Now that there are double yellows on the B6521, where do people park for  Yarncliffe? Does this mean you can't park at gated lay-by bit at 53.3111,-1.6182? Best to park down in Grindleford at 53.305,-1.6246, near the Station Cafe, the other parking location shown on the UKC map?

Thanks, George. 

Offwidth 16 Oct 2021
In reply to George Frisby:

Have they put double yellows along the lay-by?

Alkis 16 Oct 2021

The station isn't too far, that's where I parked when I got there to find double yellows.

robert-hutton 16 Oct 2021

People have been parking in the lay-by since the yellow lines was put in, took it in and you will be five foot from the lines.

Neil Williams 16 Oct 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

If the lines continue past the lay-by you can't park there, if they stop before and after it then you can.  Yellow lines apply to the property boundary e.g. fence.

Post edited at 10:22
 Offwidth 16 Oct 2021

Cheers...that needs looking into as people have been ticketed for parking completely inside such lines elsewhere. I'll raise it at the Peak Area BMC meeting on Monday.

It's bad news for climbing parking, even if it is retained, as the muppets that regularly park badly, partly blocking the carriageway, further up the hill will likely park there in future.

Dan Arkle 16 Oct 2021

@offwidth, yes they have.

That is correct George. Although if it was a quiet day I might just risk it in the layby - putting double yellows round it seems like a mistake.

Trangia 16 Oct 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> If the lines continue past the lay-by you can't park there, if they stop before and after it then you can.  Yellow lines apply to the property boundary e.g. fence.

Yes, that's how I understand it.

I am no lawyer but it seems to be an unfair and arbitrary law because if you are right off the road it can't be argued that you are causing an obstruction or hazard, unless you are blocking a field access?

Post edited at 10:41
 deepsoup 16 Oct 2021
In reply to robert-hutton:

> People have been parking in the lay-by since the yellow lines was put in, took it in and you will be five foot from the lines.

If you were to get a ticket there it's enforceable, it doesn't matter if you're behind the lines the parking restriction applies right up to the wall. (Same applies where there's a solid white line in the middle of the road.) 

The chances of actually getting a ticket most days would be extremely slim though - realistically I think the only time you'd be at all likely to get one would be one of those weekends when the ice cream van is in situ further up the hill and Padley Gorge is absolutely mobbed.

OP George Frisby 16 Oct 2021
In reply to Trangia:

Thanks for the responses everyone. I would have just parked in the lay-by behind the double yellow if i hadn't seen people getting ticketed regularly at this other similar lay-by - the big lay-by behind double yellows on the main rd just above Castleton gorge:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.341789,-1.8101124,3a,75y,139.56h,64.03t/dat...

Seems pretty mean to ticket people here as it looks like an easy mistake to make if you're in a big lay-by and you're car is completely off the double yellows at all, but understand the rule. 

Overall, will probs walk up from Grindleford if the double yellows are still there, probs not worth the risk.

Thanks, G

Droyd 16 Oct 2021

Just to confirm, I was parked here last summer when a PDNPA ranger who was driving past stopped and told me that I'd get a ticket if I left my car there. 

Neil Williams 16 Oct 2021

I'm not sure that is actually a deliberate lay-by but rather where cars have churned it up and worn away the grass and soil.  Deliberate lay-bys tend to have contiguous surfacing with the road.

Post edited at 12:03
 LadyMargaret 18 Oct 2021

Hi George/all

BMC area access rep here, sorry I didn't see this thread at the weekend.

We followed up on this with Derbyshire County Council Highways Dept when the lines first appeared in August last year.

There is a note on the RAD which says:

"There are now double yellow lines across the layby & restrictions are actively enforced (fines £100). Parking in the layby is reduced but still possible if well off the highway. Do not block access gates to the house or quarry. If the layby is full, park in the marked area on B6521 or at Longshaw or Surprise View (15min walk)."

(we didn't mention the station parking but obvs that is a good option too)

The legal position (as relayed to us by DCC) is that yellow lines extend to the highway boundary, which in this case is about 1m from the lines and NOT the wall round the layby (which isn't a formal layby, but a quarry access point). Hence the advice above that you can park if you are well off the road.

This clearly reduces the number of cars that can park without blocking the gates.

We also spoke to the National Trust, who own the quarry, about access for groups with minibuses, since without access to the layby, it is difficult for groups to use the crag as the road is too dangerous to walk a group down and across to reach the gate, and it's quite a way from the Longshaw parking. They are sympathetic to our concerns, and if you are taking a minibus, you can get in touch with them in advance and they may be able to unlock the gate to let you park on the track, depending on what else is happening in the quarry area that day.

The yellow lines were painted as part of the yellow lining of the whole road, in response to the increase in dangerous parking on the road in 2020. They did it under a temporary Traffic Regulation Order which will be reviewed at some point (we don't know when). While they have improved the situation on that road, there have been unintended consequences like this one, and displacement of the overall parking issue elsewhere. We continue to try to talk to both DCC and PDNPA about this.

Louise

PS Steve, I can repeat all this at the area meeting tonight.

OP George Frisby 18 Oct 2021
In reply to LadyMargaret:

Thanks for the detailed response Louise, very helpful. 

Cobra_Head 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Neil Williams:

> I'm not sure that is actually a deliberate lay-by but rather where cars have churned it up and worn away the grass and soil.  Deliberate lay-bys tend to have contiguous surfacing with the road.

Like the one this link doesn't have?

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3418836,-1.8101262,3a,75y,339.19h,55.51t/da...

Neil Williams 18 Oct 2021
In reply to Cobra_Head:

That at least has the dashed white lines.  But it is confirmed above that the layby isn't intended as one.

Offwidth 18 Oct 2021
In reply to LadyMargaret:

Cheers for that Louise. The main ongoing concerns I had was we might have been giving bad advice on RAD that could lead to being ticketed. I have a practical suggestion I'll raise tonight.

steveb2006 18 Oct 2021

Parking at Fox House either on road or in the front part of the car park close to the bus stop - but avoid busy times. Then walk down through the Longshaw estate to Yarncliffe. A fairly pleasant 10min walk (from memory)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...