UKC

999 What's your emergency?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 11 Sep 2012
First episode last night of what its like for the Emergency Services in sunny Blackpool. They started it a month early but there you go. Normally I avoid these shows like the plague, but seeing as the show's filmed on my doorstep its screaming to be watched.

And I have to say that I found it very enjoyable and funny to watch. Last night was all about how the Police, Ambulance and Fire Service deal with the fall out of drug use.

I'd say that the first episode was a true reflection of what we get up to and have to endure, especially of a weekend but not exclusive to those days. If anything, and I'm not alone in saying this, the show was a bit more tame than in real life but jolly interesting all the same.

I've been told that there are ten shows and each episode revolves round a theme. Last night was drugs and next week, I think, is about children.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/999-whats-your-emergency

BTW you won't see me, I hope. I tried really hard to avoid the cameras.

Anybody else get a chance to see the show?
 wilkie14c 11 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: As you'd expect I watched it. Pleased you said its over several episodes with a different theme, I thought while watching it that if it was a one off there was too much coverage about drugs but if its going to be spread over different stuff it should show the other problems we have here at Lancashire Vegas - A lot of petty crime, drunken violence and sex offences.
Bubble as we know is a real problem here, cheap, available, fast working and gets them off their tits. I vaguely remeber the bloke with his cock out here at the station but never paid too much attention at the time like, so many other incidents it was just another 999 all. Nice to see what became of him though. We have a 999 every other day and many times a day during the weekends. I hate it if I get called out to assist the station staff, I'll back them up to the end of the earth don't get me wrong but when the call comes on my radio it fills me with dredd as you just don't know what you gonna find out there. Often its just some pisshead that are off their face on other stuff too and they say the magic words - 'I want an ambulance'. We have to ring it through once they say that just in case there really was something medically wrong with them. It puts you guys at risk and takes resorces away from those that really need them. Make em pay for drink/drug related call outs I say and the gov needs to be hard ball with assailiants of emergency service and NHS staff. I hate bubble, the amount of gurning kids we see on it is frightening and its not like other generally older people on coke or weed, at least you can talk and reason with them, bubble just switches off their brains.
OP The Lemming 11 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Glad you liked it. I was going to give everybody a heads up in October, which was the expected date but I was only told last night a couple of hours before showtime.

I remember attending at the Winter Gardens last October dealing with a stabbing, that took place inside the complex, and when I came outside I was confronted unexpectedly by a big scary camera. It was late, dark and very busy so I signalled to the cameraman to not film me. The chap and his colleagues were very understanding at that interesting time. Got to admit that every single one of the production team/crew who we met on the road and in the mess-room were very polite, professional, helpful and at great pains to explain that they were not there to do a 'hatchet job' on any of us.

I'm looking forward to the series now.

Off to bed now, in preparation for another night at the coal face this evening.

Tall Clare 11 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

Can I display my naivete and ask what 'bubble' is?
In reply to Tall Clare:

Here's a link to the stuff

http://www.talktofrank.com/drug/mephedrone

wilkie14c 11 Sep 2012
In reply to Tall Clare:
Nasty shit, bubble/M-Cat/Meow-Meow/Mephedrone all the same stuff with regional names, 'Bubble' in the NW. Its made from some chemical found in plant food so was once sold as a legal high but has since been classified as a class B drug but because of the availablity of the main ingredient its still widely available and dirt cheap, a fiver for a 'bomb'. Its normally snorted or bombed, a bomb is where they wrap it in a cig paper and swallow it. Also because its so new, what the long term affects are to the user is unknown. It does induce paranoia far more severe than weed does so when faced by figures of authority like police, ambulance, door secruity or in my case railway uniforms the user always goes straight on the defensive as they don't understand we are actually trying to help them but they feel they are backed into a corner?
Put simply it turns decent teenage lads and lasses into gurning, sweating, slobering bastards that want to kill you
In reply to The Lemming:

Ho, and the Police Brutality conspiratists should have a field day with the first show. There obviously a bit more than an alleged batton strike with our bobbies. They give the odd kidney punch for good measure.

Which was nice.
OP The Lemming 17 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Bump

Wonder who I will see tonight?

tspoon1981 17 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: A fiver for a blowjob and sex? Piers looking at you kid.
 Mike-W-99 17 Sep 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:
Well it is called Blackpool Pleasure Beach after all.
 wilkie14c 17 Sep 2012
In reply to Mike_Watson_99:
Far better class of skank up at North pier but its £8
 dek 17 Sep 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
Fkin ell! It's not Baywatch is it?!
 tspoon1981 17 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Well that was depressing, it was like watching the audition tapes for Jeremy Kyle.
 balmybaldwin 17 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Good on the lass at the end, getting results that good with a mother like that. Put a smile on my face, hope she enjoys university away from home.
In reply to The Lemming:

Not much of the 'boys in green tonight', but another accurate portrayal of life in sunny Blackpool.

Still good, and I found myself laughing at times.
In reply to balmybaldwin:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
>
> Good on the lass at the end, getting results that good with a mother like that. Put a smile on my face, hope she enjoys university away from home.

I hope so too.

OP The Lemming 24 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Bumpity bump

on in 15 minutes on Channel 4

Hope I see more of the little green men this week as they were only on for less than 20 seconds last week.

Getting bored of seeing Plod steal the show.
OP The Lemming 24 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Another happy snapshot of seaside life..
 bradholmes 25 Sep 2012
In reply to The Lemming: So depressing. Hats off to all the emergency services, dealing with this sort of thing daily would ruin me as a person.
OP The Lemming 25 Sep 2012
In reply to bradholmes:
> (In reply to The Lemming) So depressing. Hats off to all the emergency services, dealing with this sort of thing daily would ruin me as a person.

Funny you should say that, but its our sense of humor that keeps us going. I found the marriage proposal every entertaining.

But yes, it isn't fun going to a domestic where toddlers see their mother's face covered in blood.
OP The Lemming 09 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Anybody catch last night's show?

Even I was depressed watching it.

For some strange reason Blackpool council aren't too happy with the show. Probably as its not the best advertising tool for a Family Resort.

Off to bed now after another night at the coal face.
 butteredfrog 09 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Take off and nuke it from orbit! Never liked Blackpool anyway!

OP The Lemming 22 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Lets hope tonight's episode, on in a few minutes, is a bit less depressing than last week.
 tspoon1981 22 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
>
> Lets hope tonight's episode, on in a few minutes, is a bit less depressing than last week.

Looks er.... Interesting.
 off-duty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:

Looking forward to getting issued with lipstick in place of taser. It'll certainly save some money
In reply to tspoon1981:

For some strange reason Blackpool Council are not happy with this serise.

Blackpool Council are now reaping what they have sown for the last coupe of decades promoting the Hen and Stag experience and cheep booze in pubs on every corner.

This is no longer a family resort before or after sunset.

In reply to off-duty:

What colour would you like to be issued with?

Toby S 22 Oct 2012
In reply to off-duty:

Is that allowed? I thought the Police didn't like their officers having too much makeup. She certainly seems to have piled it on.
 off-duty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Toby S:
> (In reply to off-duty)
>
> Is that allowed? I thought the Police didn't like their officers having too much makeup. She certainly seems to have piled it on.

It's one of those rules that seem to just have lip service paid to them.
 AdCo82 22 Oct 2012
In reply to off-duty:

A lot safer as Lancs Officer clearly get trigger happy with a taser.....just like that officer gets happy with the lippy!
 Enty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Apart from the obviously depressing f*ckers causing all the bother I'm getting a real feel good factor from this - real people - real women - real WPC's loving the job and doing a good job. Total respect.

E
 AdCo82 22 Oct 2012
In reply to Enty:

Aren't they all classed as PC'S now? Stop being sexist, Haha
 off-duty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to off-duty)
>
> A lot safer as Lancs Officer clearly get trigger happy with a taser.....just like that officer gets happy with the lippy!

Smashing. Get your witness statement down to the IPCC then.
You're commenting as a witness and not on the basis of press reports, assumptions and an account from one party aren't you?
 Toby S 22 Oct 2012
In reply to off-duty:
> (In reply to Toby S)
> [...]
>
> It's one of those rules that seem to just have lip service paid to them.
>

Oh good grief. You wants nicked for that
 AdCo82 22 Oct 2012
In reply to off-duty: I was having a joke......chill!
 off-duty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:

Sorry - still recovering from the lipstick. Might have to rethink it - longer lasting effects than taser.
 abr1966 22 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming: It's a good show.....real life and illustrates that things are always harder than the armchair pundits would have it!
 Enty 22 Oct 2012
In reply to abr1966:
> (In reply to The Lemming) It's a good show.....real life and illustrates that things are always harder than the armchair pundits would have it!

Agreed - I thought all the WPC's were awesome - especially the 4'11" one.

E
 hedgehog77 23 Oct 2012
In reply to The Lemming: Are you allowed to drive and put lipstick on? Or is it a cop thing?
OP The Lemming 23 Oct 2012
In reply to hedgehog77:

What are your views on armchair pundits?
 bluebealach 23 Oct 2012
In reply to An Triubhas:
> (In reply to Enty)
>
> Aren't they all classed as PC'S now? Stop being sexist, Haha

Yes!! AND all WPC (Female officers) were differentiated in there 'collar' numbers by having them prefaced with a 6 ie 6123. Now the sixes have gone and it's a free for all.

This takes away from senior officers organising teams for perform public order related duties, the ability to pick male-only teams.

OP The Lemming 05 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Next installment tonight.

Wonder if it will show Sunny Blackpool in a good light?
OP The Lemming 05 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Should be a good one tonight, its Time Wasters.
OP The Lemming 06 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

I enjoyed tonight's episod. Good positive jobs all round and a hoax caller got sent down.
OP The Lemming 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

The penultimate episode tonight.

Wonder what delights Blackpool has in store for the nation?
 Jon Jones 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Jizz monkeys and skunk pussies!
Daithi O Murchu 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:
>
> The penultimate episode tonight.
>
> Wonder what delights Blackpool has in store for the nation?

couple o chip pan fires - trouble at breakfast time

sally calls the police when the fathers of her children catch her in bed with a packet of lard, a bottle of cheap vodka and a kebab van
OP The Lemming 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Somebody please tell me all this goes on around other towns, and not just here?
 tspoon1981 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: I think its just Blackpool....
 Caralynh 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming:

Par for the course for Birmingham on a Saturday night!
 tspoon1981 12 Nov 2012
In reply to The Lemming: "I'd rather have a sausage than a Mosque"

With catchy songs like that I'm suprised the EDL haven't had a no.1
 Rubbishy 14 Nov 2012
In reply to tspoon1981:

Just watched it

That's more the policing I remember doing.

while the great and the good can self righteously bang on about high profile police f*ck ups and dark deeds, 99% of policing is this.

If you hate the plod so much, do their job, at 2:30am, counselling drink depressives in a flat that stinks of piss, for £28k a year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...