UKC

A lonely place to die

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Owen W-G 18 May 2012
This film has some good examples of how not to do things on rock - climbing multipitch as a 3 on one rope, bottom belaying on a multipitch without anchoring yourself to rock, abbing off one nut, abbing into space without knotting ends of ropes, discovering that an ab pitch wont reach a ledge when your partner has abbed off end of rope yet proceeding to follow her by abbing into the same problem anyway

Plus the two guilty parties clams to be 'the best' and lecture others on having to 'up your game if you wanna climb with me' , complacencys a killer etc

Shocking stuff
 Milesy 18 May 2012
The Aliens in Aliens are also fake, and Shrek is computer generated
 wilkie14c 18 May 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:
"Traveling light today, don't need helmets" but took spades?

Watch the DVD extras, far the best extras i've seen in a while
andyathome 18 May 2012
In reply to Milesy:
> The Aliens in Aliens are also fake

You've not seen the Men in Black documentary series then, pal? Huh?

p.s. what is 'A lonely place to die'? Film?

wilkie14c 18 May 2012
In reply to andyathome:
YEs, brit flick, low budget but filmed in glen coe so worth a watch. Ignore the climbing technical mistakes and its not a bad film
andyathome 18 May 2012
In reply to andyathome:
OK. Caught up. A film.

Quote - Trivia: Director Julian Gilbey and brother Will who co-wrote the script became avid and experienced climbers to make this film
 Bobling 18 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:

No, no - I enjoyed the climbing bits. It was everything that happened after that I didn't like. Good plot, good scenery but somehow just rubbish and disappointing.
 Kane L. 19 May 2012
In reply to Owen W-G: Abbing off one nut and not knoting the rope; I'll let them off, they were trying to outrun the kidnappers.
However I think I saw one let go off the rope while abbing, can't recall seeing a prusik or anything.
Really enjoyed the film.
 crustypunkuk 19 May 2012
In reply to Kane L.:
Utterly disappointing film.
Other than the usual epic shots of the Buachaille in the first 15 mins, there isnt much to the film. the story is half decent at best, the acting is decent(only because Melissa George is hot, and i like the dude from Waterloo Road), but there are so many plot/location holes that it became very irritating very quickly.
 colina 19 May 2012
In reply to crustypunkuk: yeah agreed ,the start was promising with the mpitch climbing and views etc and then deteriated badly.a shame really as i had high hopes going on some reviews.
not as bad as "blue water" though ,about a couple who were eventually eaten by sharks,shame they werent eaten in the first five minutes of the film having to suffer two hours in the cinema.
 Al Evans 19 May 2012
In reply to colina: Two lads abseiling off Cave Route at Gordale in the dark who shall be nameless (Shagger and Webby). Can't remember which one went down first but he abseiled off the end of the rope and broke both legs, never said a word and his mate who followed him down braking both ankles. They decided the one with broken ankles was most mobile so he was elected to crawl to the nearest farmhouse for help.
Thats the way I heard it at the time anyhow
 Martin W 19 May 2012
In reply to colina:

> not as bad as "blue water" though ,about a couple who were eventually eaten by sharks,shame they werent eaten in the first five minutes of the film having to suffer two hours in the cinema.

They don't lock the doors, you know!
 Steve Perry 19 May 2012
In reply to blanchie14c:
> (In reply to Owen W-G)

>
> Watch the DVD extras, far the best extras i've seen in a while

The trip to the Alps? Excellent viewing.

Blue Straggler 20 May 2012
In reply to Owen W-G:

Interesting how nobody comments on Scottish streams being about 8-10m deep and easily swimmable (no undercurrents or turbulence or turbidity) with visibility so perfect that without goggles or mask, someone can locate two different submerged persons and tell the difference between the one that's been shot and the one that's only knocked out.

The film actually picks up when they get into town and the dialogue improves. The full dialogue scene in the pub with the main assassin/kidnapper, is very well acted. And the police station waiting room scene was genuinely tense.

As for the climbing - there was about 7 minutes of climbing footage and 80% of it was totally wrong.

I remember the UKC forums being full of people wetting themselves with anticipation before it came out. Ha ha haa!
 Lukeva 20 May 2012
In reply to Owen W-G: Ah but it's good fun boring people by picking out the technical mistakes. The accident at the begining was great!
 colina 21 May 2012
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to colina)
>
> [...]
>
> They don't lock the doors, you know!

yeah they did .

Milesy 21 May 2012
And the good climbing scene is at the start with fly by. I ran for popcorn, came back and the film has started and I had missed most of it! Was raging.
 wilkie14c 21 May 2012
In reply to Milesy: the flyby very nearly didn't happen. they had just enough cash to pay for one flyby and just as they were taking off it started raining and just gave a tiny gap to film what they did. If you get chance to watch the dvd extras, do so. Very good documentry on the making of it and an alps feature inc matterhorn and eiger

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...