UKC

After the Fall ,,,

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 AP Melbourne 27 Dec 2017

,,, by Craig Demartino with Bill Romanelli. Anyone read it?
Was given a copy for Chrizzy by a born again friend of mine and am just getting stuck in.
Absolutely harrowing description of an easy mistake climbers should all avoid making - that is; poor communication between leader and belayer so don't ever, ever lead a long pitch, clip the belay and lean back having shouted 'safe' so the belayer's taken you off and you hurtle 100' before coming to a sudden stop. The stony base of a crag is very unforgiving from that height and bones shatter and masses of blood spray everywhere.
No spoilers here but Mr. Demartino found God in the aftermath of that accident and I'm just getting to that bit now.
Am enjoying this book immensely.
Cheers,
AP.
Post edited at 00:13
 Trangia 27 Dec 2017
In reply to AP Melbourne:

What's a "born again friend"?
 Dale Berry 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia

Whilst I think it’s not that unusual a question, I too am interested in AP’s answer.
 LeeWood 27 Dec 2017

So is our need for God/a god merely a survival strategy in hardship ? is this sad or fortuitous ??
 jon 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Trangia:

> What's a "born again friend"?

When it's had its trigger wires replaced?
OP AP Melbourne 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Dale Berry:

> In reply to Trangia

> Whilst I think it’s not that unusual a question, I too am interested in AP’s answer.

Ta. Well I thought it'd be fairly obvious that the 'born again' reference is to my friend's new-found Christian beliefs and the comfort she gets from 'His' presence. This it seems is the premise of the book I posted about in the first place.
Cheers,
AP.
 Blue Straggler 27 Dec 2017

FWIW I thought it was fairly obvious what you meant; "born-again" is fairly well known (and, IN CONTEXT, "accepted") short-hand for "born-again Christian"

I'd be very surprised if Trangia didn't know that; I suspect he was trying to make some sort of point.
 Dale Berry 27 Dec 2017
In reply AP

I completely agree with you.

My, answer would just have been too elaborate for that hour of the morning. Paths duly straightened.

Dale
 Dale Berry 27 Dec 2017
In reply to jon:

I’d say it is the time I realised that my old friend had reached the end of its climbing life and become a symbol of past glories. This was when I replaced it with a brand spanking new Friend. Being born again neither stopped or forgot all I loved to reach that point, but has washed me clean and new. I choose to keep the old friend going in the light of the new, but that light that worked it’s way in has thankfully and wonderfully changed everything for me.

Dale
 Ian Parsons 27 Dec 2017
In reply to jon:

> When it's had its trigger wires replaced?

No, Jon; Trigger's a four-legged friend. [Hi-yo Silver etc .... except the other one.]
 jon 27 Dec 2017
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Silver - Lone Ranger.
Trigger - Roy Rogers.
 Ian Parsons 28 Dec 2017
In reply to jon:

No; Trigger - Del Boy and "Dave".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...