UKC

AI fiction recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy Gamisou 04 Mar 2021

Looking for recommendations for (non-bovine) AI fiction, the more technical and/or realistic the better.

Thanks.

Not a bot.

Dave Garnett 04 Mar 2021
In reply to aln:

Yes, might as well start with a Nobel Prize Winner!

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

I really enjoyed this and the sequel. Only tangentially AI but in the same sort of area and superb:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daemon-Daniel-Suarez/dp/1847249612

Anything in the Culture series by Iain M Banks will get you in contact with million-IQ spaceships, if you want a jump deep into their minds then Excession is brilliant but quite hard reading (lots of it is computers having conversations!). IMO the Culture series is the best scifi ever done

Bob Kemp 04 Mar 2021

The list below has some classics and some more recent items, including a few I really want to read. How could I resist ‘We Are Legion (We Are Bob)’?! And the Ware Tetrology looks like the kind of headf@ck that I enjoy. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/best-sci-fi-books.com/24-best-artificial-int...

Of the more recent titles Hyperion is intriguingly nuts but not particularly realistic. A Closed and Common Orbit is decent. Ancillary Justice is good  but overrated. The Diamond Age is enjoyable but long, and is more about nanotechnology than AI itself. 

There are some others there that I imagine you’d find fit your needs. The Ted Chiang should be just the thing- I’ve only read his short stories but he has a strong science background that he draws on in his work. The Louisa Hall looks like the kind of thing you might like too.

deepsoup 04 Mar 2021

Some interesting suggestions already, I'll have a look at some of those too.

If you like a bit of politics stirred in, I'll add this one: The Star Fraction by Ken Macleod.
It was his first novel, so a good place to start if it turns out you like him.

His version of the mid-21st century UK balkanised into a bunch of impoverished squabbling mini-states doesn't seem quite as far-fetched now as it did when I first read it.

In reply to deepsoup:

Good call! I think I really enjoyed The Star Fraction, although its gotten pretty fuzzy with time now. Might be time for a refresher

graeme jackson 04 Mar 2021

2001. a space odyssey

J101 04 Mar 2021

Agency - William Gibson.

Although you'll be best off reading The Peripheral first as he writes in trilogies and that's the first of this series (final one due some time in the next year or two)

Andy Gamisou 05 Mar 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> 2001. a space odyssey

Read all of A.C. Clarke (and Ray Bradbury) when I was a teenager.  Loved them.  Might revisit - although when I tried recently going to back to H. G. Wells, I was a bit disappointed - so might just keep (the vague) memories of them.

Andy Gamisou 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Responders:

Some interesting suggestions there, so thanks for that.  I've already 'kindled' a couple, and look forward to getting started on them.

Post edited at 03:03
 RBonney 05 Mar 2021

I know if it's exactly what you were looking for but Ancillary Justice was a really good book and the other 2 in the trilogy were too. It is quite hard to understand what's going on in the first few chapters but it's worth sticking with. 

janegallwey 05 Mar 2021

A slightly different one I really enjoyed is I Still Dream. Near future realism with AI the main part of the story. 

https://www.waterstones.com/book/i-still-dream/james-smythe/9780007541973

This thread reminded me of another book, not particularly good one by Greg Bear that has my favourite AI scene of all time though.

The scientists have their Turing test in the form of a joke that a sentient being would find funny, but in the end they decide it has to be sentient as the AI is anxiously phoning the lead scientist all night to worry that it doesn’t find the joke funny yet.

Hooo 05 Mar 2021
In reply to aln:

I didn't realise that was out yet, I've been waiting for it. Buying now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...