UKC

Airlie Anderson and Aid Burgess, "The Face" 1998

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 01 Apr 2021

Not the fashion magazine The Face.

Bought a new toy (video digitiser lead) thanks to a thread on UKC lately...

And used it to convert and upload an absolutely legendary bit of BBC television which I have not seen digitised anywhere (there is a near unwatchable one on YouTube; I just uploaded mine to there but I don't know if it'll get blocked for copyright infringement so this link is an upload on my own webspace) NB A Triple Echo production for BBC Television, copyright BBC Worldwide, 1998 

Airlie Anderson and Aid Burgess in Utah for "The Face", a 6 part climbing documentary broadcast in 1998 (and narrated by the proper original Brian Cox). Airlie has an infamous meltdown on a crack pitch that is clearly well within her climbing ability....so this will be me on a Severe in May, probably.

This is a downloadable mp4 on my own webspace, if anyone wants it

http://www.blue-straggler.net/miTunes/Airlie_and_Aid_The_Face_1998.mp4

Post edited at 21:13
 ericinbristol 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler

Great programme. I still remember Airlie A calling Aid B a 'wuss' for not falling off 

David Alcock 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Brilliant.

My 18 year old lad who couldn't see my tablet told me to close the window in case the neighbours overheard.

In reply to David Alcock:

What a palaver

In reply to ericinbristol:

also clearly helmets had not been invented in 1998 😃

Wee Davie 01 Apr 2021

It's definitely one of the funniest clips ever seen in a climbing video along with the Barry Blanchard meltdown on some aid route in Greenland. Comedy gold.

Sealwife 01 Apr 2021

Loved that series when it was on the telly 

Hat Dude 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler

From what I remember shouldn't it be labelled "NSFW" because of Airlie's swearing 😉

philipivan 01 Apr 2021

I remember this! Have you got her carrying a mattress up to Millstone Edge and swearing a lot as well?

In reply to Hat Dude:

it was BBC2. It’s all bleeped out, although brilliantly after about 20 seconds that are just bleeps, she calls herself a div, which really cheered me up because I have coincidentally been resurrecting “absolute div” as an insult in the last 6 months and now feel vindicated 

Tom Valentine 01 Apr 2021

I like how she invokes the royal "we" quite a lot, as in "watch us".

One of my best UKC real life climbing partners had a habit of doing this.

Removed User 01 Apr 2021

The section at the end with the frantic clipping of a badly placed cam highlights one of the best aspects of rock climbing as an experience.

You can have that genuine brown pants fighting for your life feeling whether you are a VDiff, E0, E3 or E9. The feeling is the same, the grade it happens on just depends on your level of (in) competence...

Post edited at 22:15
 Duncan Bourne 01 Apr 2021

classic

Didn't they have Parbay too? Not Airlie I forget who did it

ericinbristol 01 Apr 2021
In reply to Duncan Bourne:

Pabbay? Was that Lynn Hill and Cubby? 

In reply to Tom Valentine:

> I like how she invokes the royal "we" quite a lot, as in "watch us".

That was acquired dialect, not a “royal we”, there is quite a difference. You div 😃

Post edited at 23:02
In reply to Removed User:

> You can have that genuine brown pants fighting for your life feeling whether you are a VDiff, E0, E3 or E9. The feeling is the same, the grade it happens on just depends on your level of (in) competence...

Absolutely, hence the comment in my OP that this will be me on a Severe in May. 😃

> Pabbay? Was that Lynn Hill and Cubby? 

Yes

Tom Valentine 02 Apr 2021

Yes, you're right.The "royal we" and your acquired dialect phrase  are both  examples of the nosism. As is "Aren't we being a smartarse today"?

Post edited at 08:26

Technically they are but they differ vastly in spirit. Div 

DerwentDiluted 02 Apr 2021

Great upload, I remember watching this at the time and thinking it was a very human and relateable bit of footage. 

The only people who I hear use the word  "divvy" regularly are a couple of gypsies I know but it has a very complex etymology and most of it seems to be speculation. There is no real consensus but I've just  counted at least six explanations about its origin.

Duncan Bourne 02 Apr 2021

That's right. On a whopping great roof as I recall

That’s nice, dear 

Sealwife 02 Apr 2021

I use “divvy” and have no idea where it comes from.

deepsoup 02 Apr 2021

I've downloaded that to watch later, thanks.

In reply to Sealwife:

Neither does anyone else, by the look of it. Plenty of theories, though. I find stuff like that interesting.

I am currently listing archaic/ dialect  names for British birds and animals so any contributions are welcome.( not too bothered about fish)

Darron 02 Apr 2021

I suppose you already have asker (spell?)

In reply to Darron:

No, all I had for that was eft. Thanks.

Robert Durran 02 Apr 2021
In reply to Sealwife:

> Loved that series when it was on the telly 

I've still got the VHS. Some classic episodes. Might have to watch them again!

Darron 02 Apr 2021

Aska/Asker as in a Newt?

In reply to Darron:

Yes. Or eft. Thanks for asker.

Darron 02 Apr 2021

😊

> Neither does anyone else, by the look of it.

Or other people don’t witter on about finding it interesting, and just get on with looking into it

> Plenty of theories, though. I find stuff like that interesting.

How about the etymology of “plenty”, “theories”, “interesting”, “archaic” etc? Will it become the beast that eats itself up?!

I don't know why you are being  so unpleasant and dismissive. You seem to be like it a lot more often lately. As I've said before, your UKC persona seems very different from the helpful and friendly person I've come across in e mails.

What is the problem with me saying I find a subject interesting, bad enough for you to describe it as "wittering".  

> I don't know why you are being  so unpleasant and dismissive. 

I am being neither of these things 

> What is the problem with me saying I find a subject interesting, bad enough for you to describe it as "wittering".  

You are a div if you don’t know that “wittering” is not always pejorative. 

Tom Valentine 03 Apr 2021

You are coming across as unpleasant and dismissive, very much so. You seem to enjoy using the insult "div". It was OK with a smiley after it but it's not funny any more.

Your comment at 11.44 was snide, sarcastic and patronising and it seems I wasn't the only one to think so.

It's your thread so I'll leave you to it, but if ever there was an example of a UKC poster who would behave totally differently in a real life conversation, I suspect you are it.

deepsoup 03 Apr 2021

> I am being neither of these things 

Not on purpose maybe, but that is how you're coming across.  Soz.

Post edited at 09:35
In reply to deepsoup:

> Soz.

No need to apologise. 

> It's your thread so I'll leave you to it

OK, bye then 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...