UKC

Any old techno / electro fans out there looking..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 12 Jul 2019

for new sounds? I'm a now mature ex-clubber myself

I recommend Bicep's album, especially tracks Aura, Vale and Rain.

Also recommend Rival Consoles.

(plus, although, probably obvious, Jon Hopkins)

...just going to stick on Rain again...

Pefa 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I do love techno but it was all old stuff and most I was given as CDs by pals that were made for me and just had techno written on them in pen or some other stuff and you would play them to death in our cars and at parties lose them get given others lose them, ruin some, you get the picture I couldn't tell which artist made what tbh a bit like when we went to raves and couldn't remember if the star dj was good or not. Lol

We have tons (100+)of dance vinyls mostly European acid tek,English jungle and early dance, bit of Prodigy etc but we can't be arsed with mixing on decks anymore. Sorry I'm of no use to you there. 

Jon Stewart 12 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

> for new sounds? I'm a now mature ex-clubber myself

Yeah, I admit to something similar, I'll check those out.

Favourite DJs/producers these days include Acid Pauli, Nicolas Jaar, Max Cooper. Have you heard this guy?

youtube.com/watch?v=IvwS6BYjHG0&

nawface 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Bonobo, George Fitzgerald. Moderat. Four tet. Clark. Monolake. though you may well.know most of them. 

D bridge/exit records

Nils frahm 

MonkeyPuzzle 13 Jul 2019
In reply to nawface:

I'll second Moderat (and its two original halves, Modeselektor and Apparat). Siriusmo, Gesaffelstein, and Clark are really worth a listen as well.

OP Flinticus 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Like Max Cooper. Not heard those others. Will check them out. Thanks

OP Flinticus 13 Jul 2019
In reply to nawface:

> Bonobo, George Fitzgerald. Moderat. Four tet. Clark. Monolake. though you may well.know most of them. 

> D bridge/exit records

> Nils frahm 

Heard of Moderat. Familiar with Fout Tet. Bonobo rings a bell. Not the others. Thanks.

Jon Stewart 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Good thread this! Nicolas jaar is a bit of a mixed bag but this tune is great:

youtube.com/watch?v=JM6lRdPO7So&

Cheese Monkey 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Pefa:

Yeh I’m in a similar boat when I want to listen to techno etc I just go on mixcloud or whatever and find a set. When I make mixes I do like to spend a bit of time focusing on the particular style I want though 

Fishmate 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Currently listening to Boris Brejcha. Minimal tech house. It moves.

Jon Stewart 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Fishmate:

> Currently listening to Boris Brejcha. Minimal tech house. It moves.

If I was going to head out getting f*cked up and dancing, I'd see Boris Brejcha, but I feel a little too old for that now - or at least to be seen out in public doing it anyway. Since I've been this old, I've started getting into more classical music, but you can have both...

youtube.com/watch?v=IvwS6BYjHG0&

(The Schubert piano trio that this samples is one of my favourite pieces of music, and I think they've done a damn good job here, Schubert might have like it?).

Here's a jazz thing with electronic/house shenanigans too:

youtube.com/watch?v=kSf1ntKOsf0&

Jon Stewart 13 Jul 2019
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

That Siriusmo tune is a big favourite. Good videos from him too - do you know this one?

youtube.com/watch?v=kTn0li1q1O0&

Jon Stewart 13 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Since I've been this old, I've started getting into more classical music, but you can have both...

Sorry, wrong link above.

MonkeyPuzzle 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Yes! It's f*cking brilliant. Always keeping an eye out for him playing but he appears to just hang around Germany - as if they don't have enough techno to share.

planetmarshall 14 Jul 2019

> Siriusmo, Gesaffelstein, and Clark are really worth a listen as well.

Gesaffelstein's "Pursuit" is on the gym playlist. Was introduced to it via Radio 6 of all places.

nawface 14 Jul 2019

Gesaffelstein is good.  Not heard of him before.

Add Amon Tobin, I prefer the earlier stuff.  Two fingers.  phaeleh. Tipper.  Analord Series by Aphex Twin (all.on YouTube).  Recondite.  

Nice Thread.

MonkeyPuzzle 14 Jul 2019
In reply to nawface:

Saw Amon Tobin on the ISAM tour. Laser mapped projectors on a sculpted projector screen/set. Properly mind bending.

youtube.com/watch?v=GH0tvBh84Lg&

Jon Stewart 14 Jul 2019

Great mix from Modeselector here. Love the Henry Rollins intro!

youtube.com/watch?v=5AYmyiLcNk0&

MonkeyPuzzle 14 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Ooh, that sounds great. I'll take the time to listen properly tomorrow.

MattL80 15 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

I reccomend Daniel Avery, particularly the recent remixes album. 

nawface 16 Jul 2019

Yeah, I saw that.  Was great.  The two.fingers Dj sets he's doing right now look great.  If he comes to the UK I'm in.

Catching Aphex in Sept.  Hopefully I'll remember it this time... 

Will be a long time from now but if Moderat do another tour then go to see them.  

Who said it should all stop? Just pick your battles.  

Iamgregp 16 Jul 2019
In reply to nawface:

Well into D Bridge / Exit...

You into Om Unit / Cosmic Bridge too?

In reply to Flinticus:

Try ANNA, Brazilian techno producer.

(she does a great remix of John Hopkins Singularity) 

Nathan Adam 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Have a look at the label Craigie Knowes. Some very good releases from them, latest Jenson Interceptor EP (Ultimate Wave Riding Vehicle) has serious electro on it. 

Also worth checking out Omar S for proper Detroit house with some heavier stuff. 

Others such as Big Miz, Avalon Emerson, Chaos in the CBD, Fear-E, Hammer, Palms Trax. Big mix of styles among those names and plenty to discover by searching similar artists. 

Post edited at 17:50
 The Norris 16 Jul 2019
In reply to Jon Stewart:

If you like max cooper/modeselektor type stuff, check out alex banks. Hes a friend of mine, very talented and has released stuff on both modeselektor and max coopers labels.

youtube.com/watch?v=nfQNL6Qy1Z4&

In reply to Flinticus:

I would recommend giving Kiasmos (an Olafur Arnalds side project) a listen.

Quite minimalist but some really gorgeous tunes.

Henry Mayor 17 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Very much in to techno and electronic music,  I could talk about it forever! I started making a HUGE overwhelming list that could scare some people off! I thought I'd keep it on topic...

Here's a few artists who climb! (both techno and electronic)

Oake   https://soundcloud.com/OAKE

Rafael Anton Irisarri  https://soundcloud.com/irisarri

Varg (under an alias) stayed in the Georgian mountains to inspire him to make an album  https://www.discogs.com/%E1%83%95%E1%83%90%E1%83%A0%E1%83%92-%E1%83%9F%E1%8...

Stephanie Sykes (doesn't really climb, but i've taken her bouldering!)  youtube.com/watch?v=GLY-FRFAQp8&

Biosphere (He's climbed past 8000m without supplementary oxygen!)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere_(musician) 

youtube.com/watch?v=xL3MBMim36E&

Ben Frost (did the music for Fortitude, maybe not a climber but is Icelandic based! Gets inspired by the mountains, volcanoes and night predators) 

https://www.discogs.com/Ben-Frost-By-The-Throat/release/1976702 

This is off the top of my head, but i'll get thinking who else climbs! 

alexm198 17 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Great thread! Would definitely echo nawface in recommending Recondite, especially if you're into techno of the dark and german variety. Adriatique are good too.

OP Flinticus 17 Jul 2019
In reply to Henry Mayor:

Saw Biosphere years and years ago. A multimedia event in Glasgow pre 2000. Amazing.

Henry Mayor 18 Jul 2019
In reply to Flinticus:

Very lucky! My wife saw him at Atonal once, special, especially in a disused power station!

Recondite on the player for today, thanks guys! Very stripped back and minimal!

youtube.com/watch?v=SfUXMpDn4sI&

Lornajkelly 18 Jul 2019
In reply to purkle:

possibly more the darker side of techno/electro, but are there any other VNV Nation fans in here?  

If not, I recommend checking out the newest album, Noire.  Ronan finally got round to making a music video for When Is The Future ( youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw&) but it's worth listening to the whole album because, start to finish, it's magnificent.  Automatic, released in 2011, is another absolute triumph

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...