UKC

Banksy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 doz generale 17 Jan 2018

Artist famous for leaving unauthorized graffiti having prints sold without authorisation by establishment museum!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-42708000

Tyler 17 Jan 2018
In reply to doz generale:

Did Banksy create the image that the prints were reproduced from or just the original sculpture? I couldn't work out from the article 

dread-i 17 Jan 2018
In reply to doz generale:

Its like there's one rule for the rich and another for the anarchists.

You can own something, but not "own" something it would seem.

"A spokesman for Bristol City Council, which runs the museum, said: "We own the artwork in question and had been granted permission to produce the image in our guide to the art gallery published last autumn.

"It was assumed that this would allow us to produce prints, however, having contacted Banksy's management we were told that this was not the case. "

Did he give away his art work, as he's want to do, or is there a contract?

It seems rather curious that he makes his art accessible for the public good, but his agency still hold the reproduction rights. If I buy a piece of art, I would hope I could do what I wanted with it. Smash it up or put it on display or charge people for pics. The money raised will be going to help the gallery provide art for the people. I'd suggest that someone in his management agency is being a self important ar*e.

Lusk 17 Jan 2018
In reply to dread-i:

> "It was assumed that this would allow us to produce prints, however, having contacted Banksy's management we were told that this was not the case. "

Don't forget that management have to earn their crust off the backs of other people's talent.

Deadeye 17 Jan 2018
In reply to dread-i:

"wont" not "want".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...