UKC

Best Art Gallery Northish England

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 17 Oct 2012
Hi
which is the best art Gallery to see proper :-p paintings at, I don`t like modern stuff but old stuff, things like battle scenes and particularly busy street scenes from olden times. Thinking Manchester and Lancashire but prepared to go to Liverpool or over the hill to Leeds/ Bradford, but not as far as Sheffield.
Cheers sjc
 The New NickB 17 Oct 2012
In reply to sjc:

I really like Manchester Art Gallery, mainly for the Preraphaelite room, but that isn't what you are looking for.

If you like busy street scenes, the Lowry Centre would be an obvious choice.
 Alyson 17 Oct 2012
In reply to sjc: Leeds Art Gallery has some very atmospheric street scenes by John Atkinson Grimshaw, as well as my favourite painting I've ever stood in front of - The Miller's Man by Clausen. I can't remember if it has much in the way of battles or not!

Tate Liverpool is very modern (piles of clothes etc) and I would give it a swerve if I were you. Sorry I've not visited any Manchester ones although I keep meaning to get to the Lowry.
J1234 17 Oct 2012
In reply to The New NickB:
Cheers, the Lowry is okay but I prefer more detail so I can see how they lived, it`s the detail I like, Lowry is more about a sense or feeling of the scene, or that's what I think.
J1234 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Alyson:
Grimshaw looks okay and I will take a look, but looking for something a little older. You get loads in London Galleries, they should spread the National collections around a bit IMHO.
In reply to sjc: the Walker Gallery in Liverpool has a good selection of paintings, i'ts one of my favourite galleries.
In reply to jonathan shepherd: Seconded. Worth visiting Liverpool for.

T.
 ericinbristol 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Alyson:

> The Miller's Man by Clausen.

What a magnificent picture. Glad to have my attention drawn to it, thanks.

Tall Clare 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

Thirded.
 Mark Morris 17 Oct 2012
In reply to sjc: Couple of John Atkinson Grimshaw's in the Walker in Liverpool. A Lovely gallery which I should go back to more often. To make a day of fantastic architecture and art wander up the hill to St. Georges Hall.

Mark
 birdie num num 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Alyson:
>
> Tate Liverpool is very modern (piles of clothes etc) and I would give it a swerve if I were you. Sorry I've not visited any Manchester ones although I keep meaning to get to the Lowry.

Alyson! I used to love you. Tate Liverpool has a great collection. In addition to the recent Turner, Monet, Twombly exhibition which was well worth visiting the current Marianne Faithful collection is excellent, Pollock, Bacon, Jasper Johns, Freud, Warhol amongst others. Essential viewing. Some great sculpture too. If you want piles of clothes, Num Num's bedroom.

abr1966 17 Oct 2012
In reply to Pursued by a bear: +1 The Walker Art Gallery is top drawer....worth a trip down to the river to see the new museum too...
Old Skooled 19 Oct 2012
In reply to birdie num num:

The Turner Monet Twombly at Tate Liverpool is a truly superb exhibition and is still on, just (open till 28th of this month). Like others I can't recommend the Walker highly enough - I stop in regularly - but also love the Lady Lever over at Port Sunlight on the Wirral, only a short dash through the tunnel
 Alyson 19 Oct 2012
In reply to birdie num num: I still love you num num! <sniff!>

Sorry if I sounded overly dismissive, I actually enjoyed large parts of the Tate Liverpool, I just didn't think it sounded like what the OP was looking for. Was it the Marianne Faithful bit which had all the Philip Treacy hat moulds? They were oddly beautiful.

Maybe part of the problem was I missed out on the Monet/Turner/Twombly bit (I know, I know, short of time) then went to the Maritime Museum which made me cry, then went up to Crosby Sands to see Gormley's 'Another Place' which I found quite affecting. So out of the whole day, a lot of the things in the Tate were made to look rather.. hollow I suppose.
 Alyson 19 Oct 2012
In reply to ericinbristol:
> (In reply to Alyson)
>
> What a magnificent picture. Glad to have my attention drawn to it, thanks.

You're welcome! As the gallery's free to look round I used to spend quite a few lunchtimes there just enjoying it. I have a postcard-sized reproduction of it at home but that's not quite the same.
 kate8 19 Oct 2012
In reply to Old Skooled:
Agree that the Lady Lever is very good. Lots of Pre Raphaelite work and nothing at all modern. Slightly smaller than the other gallieries I think but worth popping into on the way to Liverpool. In a lovely setting as well surrounded by Lever workers houses.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...