UKC

Best Christmas film?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 24 Dec 2020

What seasonal film is at the top of your Nice List?

Die Hard, can be classed as a Christmas flick. It's got Christmas music and a festive drug enduced party in it. 🤣

Root1 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Wonderful Life.

deepsoup 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

> Die Hard, can be classed as a Christmas flick. It's got Christmas music and a festive drug enduced party in it. 🤣

Of course it's a Christmas flick. 
Also the hero spends the entire film sneaking around a tower trying to avoid Alan Rickman, which qualifies it as a Harry Potter film.

Ok then, in the same spirit I'll nominate 'Batman Returns' and 'Gremlins'.

Post edited at 13:10
 Phil1919 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Where Eagles Dare....... 

In reply to The Lemming:

Home Alone 

lorentz 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Ghostbusters..  The original one obvs.

Alyson 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I love Die Hard and usually do watch it in my Christmas build-up, but I don't reach peak festive feeling until Muppets Christmas Carol. It's just perfect. New for this year, I watched Happiest Season last night and really enjoyed it.

graeme jackson 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a soft spot for Love Actually. Bill Nighy is superb and Martine McCutcheon is drop dead gorgeous. What more could you want. 

Alyson 24 Dec 2020
In reply to graeme jackson:

I have a soft spot for this one too! I think Emma Thompson is brilliant in it, plus I love my annual tradition of imagining Andrew Lincoln showing up on my doorstep and looking adorable. Though it has to be said, as the years have gone by, that I've realised the line between romantic and restraining order is perhaps dependant on how handsome he is. I think the Colin Firth storyline beats it for soppy festive romance

planetmarshall 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Alyson:

> I don't reach peak festive feeling until Muppets Christmas Carol.

This is the best Christmas Film and all other answers are wrong.

J101 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Jingle All The Way.

deepsoup 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Alyson:

> Muppets Christmas Carol. It's just perfect.

It's certainly the best version of Christmas Carol, no question.

I saw a FB post the other day pointing out that Disney are really missing a trick - they own the rights to the Muppets and lots of classic films, they could remake almost anything with the Muppets and it would be better than the original.  I really want to see the Muppets version of the original Star Wars trilogy.

deepsoup 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Alyson:

> Though it has to be said, as the years have gone by, that I've realised the line between romantic and restraining order is perhaps dependant on how handsome he is.

Andrew Lincoln's character is creepy AF.

Have you ever seen a 2016 science fiction film called 'Passengers'?  (If not, don't.)
It has an amazing cast, great special effects and an absolutely appalling script. 

The central theme is the 'romance' between Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence and somehow Chris Pratt makes his character seem pretty charming.  But if you look at what he actually does it's unbelievably creepy.  The role obviously went to the wrong Chris - it should have been Christopher Walken at his most sinister and disturbing.

Somehow they also got Laurence Fishbourne to play the absolute archetype of the profoundly dodgy 'magical negro' stereotype while they were at it.

Lankyman 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Jason and the Argonauts. That big bronze giant coming to life is still scary as hell! And it's back on any minute now.

Toby_W 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

what are you all talking about, it’s Star Wars or ET.

😉

cheers

Toby

wercat 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Following lunch it is definitely The Battle of the Bulge (Telly Savalas version).  Prior to lunch, probably the Battle of the River Plate to get you in the mood for calving. If you fall out over your turkey then "I spit on your Gravy".

Post edited at 18:16
 fred99 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

"Miracle on 34th street", if only for the court scene.

The remake is good as well.

"Do you wish to cross examine your wife, Counsellor ?"

In reply to The Lemming:

Bad Santa, hands down best Xmas film ever.

OP The Lemming 24 Dec 2020
In reply to planetmarshall:

> This is the best Christmas Film and all other answers are wrong.

Almost all of the Christmas Carol films are perfect viewing. Sadly the jury is out with Bill Murry's version.🤔

OP The Lemming 24 Dec 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

> Bad Santa, hands down best Xmas film ever.

Yep, its in my top two.

"Fek me Santa, fek me Santa, fek me Santa"

Best line in any film.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Andrew Lincoln's character is creepy AF.

I'd say the same about Bill Murrays character in Ghostbusters. He spends the first few minutes of the film as a University professor bulshitting his way into the pants of one of his students. It hasn't aged well.

Groundhog Day, on the other hand, is a stone cold Christmas classic.

In reply to deepsoup:

> Ok then, in the same spirit I'll nominate 'Batman Returns' and 'Gremlins'.

I watched Batman Returns again for the first time in ages, it really was, and is, an excellent film. Michelle Pfeiffer. Miaow.

deepsoup 24 Dec 2020
In reply to planetmarshall:

> [Ghostbusters] hasn't aged well.

Ick.  I'd forgotten all about that.

> Groundhog Day, on the other hand, is a stone cold Christmas classic.

Get outta here, Groundhog Day is the 2nd of Feb! 
'Groundhog Day' is the definitive Groundhog Day film.  (Is there another one?)

It is better than 'Scrooged' though, I'll give you that.  Not that there's anything wrong with Scrooged really, there are much worse versions of A Christmas Carol out there.

Post edited at 20:00
 Robert Durran 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Lawrence of Arabia. Because it is always the best film whatever, and is particularly unchristmasy which is always a good thing at Christmas.

deepsoup 24 Dec 2020
In reply to Lankyman:

> Jason and the Argonauts. That big bronze giant coming to life is still scary as hell! And it's back on any minute now.

I saw Ray Harryhausen give a talk a few years ago, and he brought one of those sword-fighting skeletons with him.  A friend took me along and I was half expecting it to be a bit boring but he was a really good speaker and it was anything but.

Post edited at 19:58
In reply to Root1:

> Wonderful Life.

This.

remarkably dark premise for a Christmas film too. 

runner up- die hard. Yippie Ki yay, melon farmer...

Removed User 24 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Scenes from a Mall

In reply to The Lemming:

Groundhog day,  although it's based in Feb, which is only 10/2 months away depending on your perspective 

Lankyman 25 Dec 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> I saw Ray Harryhausen give a talk a few years ago, and he brought one of those sword-fighting skeletons with him.  A friend took me along and I was half expecting it to be a bit boring but he was a really good speaker and it was anything but.

I think Talos was voted second most scary film monster (behind Kong, who was a creation of Harryhausen's mentor). I always wondered how those skeletons could 'die' with a sword thrust. Even as a kid it didn't make sense. But then again logic wasn't a big feature of Greek mythology.

Gone for good 25 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

1. The Grinch. Love it!!! I'll be watching this with my teenage kids this afternoon. 

2. Groundhog day. Andie MacDowell is gorgeous 😍 

3. Home Alone. Joe Pesci, what can I say.

4. Miracle on 34th Street. Who knew Richard Attenborough could be the perfect Santa.

wilkie14c 25 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

This is the first year I’ve really sat down and watched some.

We started with the Christmas Chronicles 1&2 and thought they were great! 

Then we went retro and watched national lampoons christmas and uncle buck

Anotherclimber 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Casablanca. Same reason.

Steve Woollard 25 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Zulu

Queenie 25 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. Is my must watch every year Christmas classic.

OP The Lemming 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Steve Woollard:

> Zulu

Remind me again, how many were there?

FactorXXX 26 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Rudolph does Disney.

Blue Straggler 28 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

The Long Kiss Goodnight 

In reply to deepsoup:

Total agreement on Love, Actually, and Passengers, and (I know it was someone else’s post) Ghostbusters.

In Passengers it is sort of understandable that he wakes someone up for companionship but there is no reason given for him picking the hottest woman.

In Ghostbusters, beyond Bill Murray abusing his “experiment” at the start, his pursuit of Dana is also well creepy.

And Andrew Lincoln’s character is merely the most blatant of many many misogynistic aspects to Love, Actually . There is a brilliant deconstruction of the whole think online, I’ll try to dig it up later 

Cobra_Head 28 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

This one youtube.com/watch?v=WvKzyuL7ubQ&

Not the most festive but great all the same

Don't miss the ending, it's wonderful.

Post edited at 15:47
In reply to Alyson and deepsoup

> And Andrew Lincoln’s character is merely the most blatant of many many misogynistic aspects to Love, Actually . There is a brilliant deconstruction of the whole thing online, I’ll try to dig it up later 

Ta daah

https://jezebel.com/i-rewatched-love-actually-and-am-here-to-ruin-it-for-al...

Post edited at 16:53
In reply to The Lemming:

not top of the list but I recently re-watched it and really enjoyed it (actually better second time round especially now that there have been a load more films in between) and I’d say Iron Man 3 is a good Christmas film. People seem not to notice it’s a Christmas film despite there being about thirty major visual and dialogue references to it being Christmas. Shane Black has a thing about Christmas, see The Long Kiss Goodnight, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and I’ll have to check some others 

deepsoup 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> In Passengers it is sort of understandable that he wakes someone up for companionship but there is no reason given for him picking the hottest woman.

Sort of understandable!?  Well it is if he's some sort of psychopath I suppose.

If Robinson Crusoe had the means to magically abduct one person and doom them to spending the rest of their lives on his shitty island with only him for company, I don't think it would make make it much more immoral for him to choose someone he fancies so what the hell.  And it would be a waste of all the effort that went into cyber-stalking her for ages first to pick on anyone else wouldn't it?

(Resisting the urge to rant about the colossal plot holes required to set up this awful premise in the first place because it really is a long way off-topic in this Christmassy thread now.)

Ha.  I enjoyed that, thanks. 

kevin stephens 28 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

When I was young "The Great Escape" was the perennial Christmas film 

Alyson 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> In reply to Alyson and deepsoup

> > 

> Ta daah

Haha! It's hard to argue with much of that! Though I think she took a lot of tongue-in-cheek moments far too seriously.

Post edited at 17:36
cb294 28 Dec 2020
In reply to The Lemming:

Life of Brian

CB

PS> probably mentioned above, but I only skimmed the thread

In reply to Alyson:

I think you are taking Lindy far too seriously.

Have you seen the various Internet analyses of all the jumpers in the film? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...