UKC

Best ending to a book ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LaMentalist 29 Jan 2013
So on the back of Denni's question what is your favourite conclusion to a book ?

A few that spring to mind for me immediately would be ....

Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard ( much more satisfying than Tarantinos Jackie Brown version I think ) .

Shadow over Babylon by David Mason . ( Too close for comfort ) .

The Feather men ~ Sir Ranulph Fiennes , way more plausible than the Killer Elite conclusion .
 melto1664 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist: Mervyn Peakes ending for Titus Alone. Totally unexpected and a great ending for the trilogy.
ice.solo 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

100 years of solitude
 Jon Stewart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

Perfume. Brilliant book, amazing ending.
 Alyson 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

The Old Man and The Sea - Hemingway
Atonement - McEwan
 Jon Stewart 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Alyson:
> (In reply to LaMentalist)

> Atonement - McEwan

Yes, very good that. It's almost the same book as The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood though.
 Alyson 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: I've read both and Atonement really stuck in my mind, but The Blind Assassin didn't. I don't know if that says more about the books or about me!

I think what I love about Atonement is the way the whole story is playing with the theme of narrative and who the storyteller is - obviously with major consequences in the first half - and then the surprise ending is kind of proof of its own thesis. It plays with our whole sense of believing and trusting the narrator. Very cleverly done.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo:
>
> 100 years of solitude

Snap.
 MonkeyPuzzle 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart:
>
> Perfume. Brilliant book, amazing ending.

Not as good as 100 Years... but still brilliant. I love how the narrator revels in all of the characters' misfortune.
 Chris the Tall 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Alyson:
I loved Atonement, but I have this feeling that they did the ending slightly different, and slightly better in the film

The similarity with the Blind Assasin is a bit tenous, and I agree its not as memorable (unlike The Handmaid's Tale)

I do like books with unreliable narrators
 Motown 29 Jan 2013
In reply to Jon Stewart: Loved book, but struggled with ending. Felt out of place with 'reality' of the text.
 Motown 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist: Catch-22 - Joseph Heller. A joy every time.
ice.solo 29 Jan 2013
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

Yep. Only ending i know of where it turns out you are more than just the reader.
Marquez is his own level of genius.
 psaunders 29 Jan 2013
In reply to ice.solo: Yes, has to be 100 years of solitude.

Well... that's that question answered. Case closed.
 Tom Valentine 29 Jan 2013
In reply to LaMentalist:

Someone threw a dead dog after him down the ravine.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...