UKC

Best soundtrack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 18 May 2020

If you were to recommend one soundtrack to buy, what would it be?

I'm currently listening to Near Dark but it wouldn't be that. Thinking maybe Sicario or Arrival - I love the work of Johann Johannsson.

In reply to Flinticus:

Find something by Hildur Guðnadóttir and you shouldn't go far wrong.  Her Chernobyl music perhaps, the closing piece is sublime.

T.

Tom Valentine 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

The English Patient.

Rumanian folk songs, thirties big bands, Goldberg Variations and Yared's own sublime compositions.

Hooo 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Easy Rider. Shame about the film though

jockster 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Blade Runner

The Mission

Once upon a time in America

Post edited at 10:58
OP Flinticus 18 May 2020
In reply to jockster:

Both great recommendations

Now listening to Blade Runner remastered

Blue Straggler 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Score - Once Upon A Time in the West (Ennio Morricone)

A bunch of songs - either Until the End of the World or Natural Born Killers

I shall have a listen to Johansson's and Guðnadóttir's work (have heard it in context, will be interesting to hear out of context; I actually thought Guðnadóttir's music in Joker was used intrusively yet, strangely, this was to the film's benefit)

nufkin 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Would something from Hans Zimmer be too pedestrian? Gladiator is an obvious one, and Black Hawk Down is good.

I've a fondness for the Jackie Brown CD too, partly for the music and partly for the dialogue clips scattered throughout

In reply to Flinticus:

Slow west, the good the bad and the ugly, battle for Algiers 

Welsh Kate 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

During my student years (all 8 of them) I lodged in the house of a composer in Clapham. He did some film and tv music including the scores for Smiley's People and ITV's Sherlock Holmes. Watching an episode of Sherlock Holmes before he started scoring it made me realise just how important the musical score is for the stuff we watch on telly or at the cinema. It's a bit like the Bundesliga matches at the weekend - it's the crowd or the music that makes it.

That said - Jerry Goldsmith's beautiful score for Star Trek: the Motion Picture is brilliant.

Post edited at 11:22
Rigid Raider 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

There are so many good soundtracks but I think Salieri's agonised musings in Amadeus opened my eyes to the genius of Mozart. 

I also love the opening moments of Apocalypse Now when the Doors perform The End as the jungle explodes in the napalm attack. 

Myfyr Tomos 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Midnight Cowboy.

OP Flinticus 18 May 2020
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I also love the opening moments of Apocalypse Now when the Doors perform The End as the jungle explodes in the napalm attack. 

A classic scene in a classic movie. One of my favourites. 

In reply to Flinticus:

"I shall have a listen to Johansson's and Guðnadóttir's work"

Ooh two for the price of one! The Mary Magdalene soundtrack (so "Joker" was not even the first time Guðnadóttir scored Joaquin Phoenix!). I did see this film at the cinema but fell asleep multiple times...

Jamie Wakeham 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Pulp Fiction.  Misirlou, Jungle Boogie, Son of a Preacher Man...

Andy Clarke 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

One classic that's not been mentioned yet: Paris, Texas - Ry Cooder.

colinakmc 18 May 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

> One classic that's not been mentioned yet: Paris, Texas - Ry Cooder.

good call. Also O Brother where art thou.

DaveHK 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

The Big Lebowski soundtrack introduced me to both Townes van Zandt and Captain Beefheart.

Trangia 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Last of the Mohicans

Andy Clarke 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

For a soundtrack where the bunch of songs are integral to the plot, you could go for Robert Altmans' magnificent epic Nashville. However, you need to like both country music and complex irony.

Welsh Kate 18 May 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

For 'bunch of songs' soundtrack I'd nominate:

Good Morning, Vietnam

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (yeah, I know about the movie, but there's some smashing songs!)

In reply to Flinticus:

Trainspotting has to be worthy of a mention too.

In reply to Welsh Kate:

> For 'bunch of songs' soundtrack I'd nominate:

> Good Morning, Vietnam

That's a good call. I picked the CD up in a charity shop last year and at first smirked a bit due to some obvious omissions for something that should represent the 60s (presumably to do with licencing) but was pleasantly surprised that it was full of bangrz anyway, notably Eve of Destruction and Excerpt from a Teenage Opera. 

Removed User 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Any Morricone score to any Spaghetti Western.

RX-78 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Mishima: a life in 4 chapters. Score by Phillip Glass.

RX-78 18 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

An odd one; le voyage dans la lune by air.

AllanMac 19 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Gustavo Santaolalla's haunting soundtracks in Babel. Particularly "Iguazu".

Gone for good 19 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

The Deer Hunter has a great soundtrack with its very evocative theme Music.

So does Apocalypse now. Wagners The Ride of the Valkyries and The Doors, The End, on the same album. Amazing!!

Post edited at 10:54
 Tom Valentine 19 May 2020
In reply to Andy Clarke:

And Southern Comfort

Harry Jarvis 19 May 2020
In reply to Gone for good:

> So does Apocalypse now. Wagners The Ride of the Valkyries and The Doors, The End, on the same album. Amazing!!

As it happens, I rewatched Apocalypse Now at the weekend, and I was struck by how well The End fitted the parts of the film it was used for. However, the rest of the soundtrack is a strange mix. The Ride of the Valkyries works very well, but there's quite a lot of electronic noodling from Tomita, which feels rather odd, and clashes badly with the rawness and out-thereness of the film.  

milus 19 May 2020
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I'd second 'Once upon a time in the West' and add 'Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid' - soundtrack by Bob Dylan.

BnB 19 May 2020
In reply to Harry Jarvis:

> As it happens, I rewatched Apocalypse Now at the weekend, and I was struck by how well The End fitted the parts of the film it was used for. However, the rest of the soundtrack is a strange mix. The Ride of the Valkyries works very well, but there's quite a lot of electronic noodling from Tomita, which feels rather odd, and clashes badly with the rawness and out-thereness of the film.  

I love the electronic noodling. It really gives the river journey extra depth.

To be fair, I may not be the most detached observer as there is nothing I don't love about this film. It is, to my eye, without peer.

Blue Straggler 19 May 2020
In reply to BnB:

>

> To be fair, I may not be the most detached observer as there is nothing I don't love about this film. It is, to my eye, without peer.

What did you think of the decision to cut the scene with the second meeting with the Bunnies, for last year's "Final Cut" version or whatever it was called?

What do you think of the decision to (AFAIK) never incorporate into a whole film version the footage of the final air strike on Kurtz' compound apart from on one rare VHS edition?

BnB 19 May 2020

> What did you think of the decision to cut the scene with the second meeting with the Bunnies, for last year's "Final Cut" version or whatever it was called?

I did regret the loss of  that scene, but I always felt the original cut was the best, despite Coppola’s disappointment with its “brevity”. That might be a nostalgic viewpoint. But then again, even great works of genius need a cold hard review back at the studio.

> What do you think of the decision to (AFAIK) never incorporate into a whole film version the footage of the final air strike on Kurtz' compound apart from on one rare VHS edition?

In one version I recall that footage acting as a backdrop to the closing credits. I liked it very much as a dream-state coda. I think Coppola was keen not to include that destruction within the narrative and I applaud the decision.

Blue Straggler 19 May 2020
In reply to BnB:

OK. I like all cuts; I did think that Redux was nice in terms of making Willard more rounded, showing him respecting the crew etc, and the plantation scene that so many people hated, does a good job of splitting the film into two halves, as if the crew is crossing the river Styx and encountering some weird ghosts as they cross. 

HakanT 19 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

π

Darren Aronofski’s debut made on a $60,000 budget. Soundtrack by Clint Mansell includes a bunch of late -90s electronica like Massive Attack, Orbital, Roni Size and Aphex Twin. Not exactly John Williams, but more exciting.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 May 2020
In reply to HakanT:

It's great, it's great, it's great. Tim Burgess ran a Twitter watching party for Pi a couple of weekends ago, with Clint Mansell live tweeting memories and tidbits about the music as it came arrived in the film. Really fun.

MonkeyPuzzle 19 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Score - Halloween. John Carpenter's creepy synth soundtrack is absolutely pitch perfectly cold.

Soundtrack - The Crow. A who's who of mid-nineties rock, goth and industrial. So so good.

Mark Edwards 19 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

As Good Morning, Vietnam has gone already; my second choice would be the original Watchmen soundtrack as it’s a good selection that fit really well.

Skyfall 20 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Hard Grit of course ! 

Unfortunately it was never available and actually hard to find each individual track iirc.

flaneur 20 May 2020
In reply to Skyfall:

You may already know this but Gus Hudgins has reassembled the Hard Grit soundtrack: https://soundcloud.com/the-gusenator/hard-grit

Hat Dude 20 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Has American Graffiti been mentioned yet?

Andy Farnell 20 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

A couple of 'bunch of songs' ones from the 90's: Singles (AIC, Pearl Jam etc) and Judgement Night (collaborations between metal and rap artists including Ice T/Slayer and Faith no More/Boo Yaa Tribe)

Both excellent.

Andy F

james.slater 20 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

Soundtrack - Watchmen. (Dylan, Hendrix, Joplin among others)

Score - Oblivion by M83. (One of the few films where I thought the music truly stood out on its own). 

Blue Straggler 20 May 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

ANY? You know he did about 120 of them right? 

Removed User 21 May 2020

I said spaghetti westerns, of which he did the following-The good, the bad and the ugly, once upon a time in the west, the big gundown, for a few dollars more, the great silence, A fistful of dollars, The mercenary, Duck, you sucker, companeros, Navojo Joe, death rides a horse, My name is nobody, return of ringo. Does that begin answer your question about how many Morricone scores i am aware of? And for your information i am a Graduate of the Guildhall School of Music so i do know what  i am talking about.

Post edited at 02:04
 Siward 21 May 2020
In reply to Flinticus:

There are too many to recommend one, but the soundtrack to 'Into the Wild' , by Eddie Vedder, is superb.

Having watched the film once I sought out the music and bought the CD. That's something I very rarely do.

Blue Straggler 21 May 2020
In reply to Removed Userena sharples:

Well done, you seem very clever! Have a teacake  

Removed User 21 May 2020

Thanks, I will!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...